Bill Gates And Bono On Their Alliance Of Fortune, Fame And Giving

febottini

• Subscriber

1112_bono-gates-philanthropy_900.jpg

Forbes has posted a big interview with Bono and Bill Gates. The article is about their humanitarian work, ONE, RED, AIDS, Africa...

It´s already online in the site but it will be also available in the issue of the magazine on December 2.

It´s quite big so I thought it was better not to post it here, just the link. However, the last question is very interesting because Bono mentions U2. So here it is:

Forbes: Last question. There’s a lot of pressure on you guys, as people expect big things. Do your amazing first acts create self-imposed pressure for your second acts?

Bono: I haven’t left my day job yet, though there’s always this possibility when U2 puts out an album that no one will be there to buy it. And according to my band, if I keep doing these type of events, that’s going to be closer than we thought. I have a tricky one, you know, because I have to balance being an artist, which is my gift, and being this salesperson. In U2, I sell melodies, I sell songs. Here I try to sell ideas, but I have to believe in them, and then I’m a pretty good salesman. There is a huge pressure in not wanting to screw up the position that you’ve been put in. I do feel that, and I know that everyone in ONE feels that and everyone in RED feels that, because we’re serving. Though Nelson Mandela asked us to serve and Desmond Tutu threatened us on a regular basis that if we stop serving we wouldn’t go to heaven, the pressure is internal, as Bill says.

In this kind of work you do see people crack under that because these are matters of life and death a lot of the time. So it’s lucky that we get to, Bill and myself, drink heavily. That’s a joke. But we actually do have a lot of fun doing this. It’s very exciting to see the progress that’s been made in the last ten years. And you get to hang out with Warren Buffett, who is a comedian.

You can read the full article here.

Photo: Glen Davis

Edited by febottini
  • Upvote 2