What's Your Slang? Irish & Otherwise... (Regionalisms, Sayings, Accents, Etc.)

• Subscriber

Marty - tell me your avi's not you in your van. Has photoshop been there?

That's me wearing a horse mask ;)

No doubt you're 'on the lam' from some governmental law-enforcement agency & trying to hide your identity - somehow not quite realizing that what you're doing instead is just drawing more attention to yourself from law enforcement. :lol: How sweet!

So...what was it? An unpaid parking ticket no doubt. (From lovely Rita meter maid, right? Wait a minute - that's England. Sorry.)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

'to have a thing for' - a person really likes or loves something or someone. I wonder - is this used outside of the U.S.?

For ex: "David has a thing for vintage cars." (He really likes them / is really interested in them / it's his hobby, etc.)

For ex: "Melissa has a thing for David." (She has a crush on him / is sweet on him / loves him / or really, really likes him.)

• Subscriber

In my current area, we Washingtonians (The state of Washington) enjoy our French fries with tartar sauce for dipping.

Hey, I've heard of something similar: french fries w/ mayonnaise. I won't be trying it, but hey, to each his own, right? Or if I remember correctly from French: chacun a son gout (or: a chacun son gout?). Sorry - my keyboard doesn't have accent marks. I know where to find them on the internet, but...

So, illumination, you've brought some cuisine into a language thread but I say Bring It On! It's all good. :D

• Subscriber

So, a thread was created about a possible temporary problem at the website & Max Tsukino said "It's being checked...thanks..."

Another way of putting that - w/ a similar meaning - might be: "we've got this." (Or "we've got this one.") :)

• Subscriber

^^^

Or Nay Bother We'll sort it

I love it. :P

Hey, did you make up the 'nay bother' part of that - I mean, did you coin that yourself? Have you heard or read anyone where you live ever say that? Now don't you go steering me wrong, Marty - otherwise when I visit Ireland someday I could accidentally say something that would either confuse or insult people there unintentionally! :lol:

• Subscriber

No a lot of people would say that so you're grand (It's ok). :)

I hereby propose that America should set up some kind of 'Ministry of Language Enrichment' to be established in America & staffed only by folks from Ireland & Scotland!

America's language needs your help! I think our language needs the colorful, quaint, charming touches that only you folks could bring over here! Y'all folks have a way of turning a phrase! :)