What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, dmway said:

Yes - unfortunately, when a specific location reaches that level of infection, you just have to avoid going out.

Nobody should be going out, yet our country is doing so like a fattened king sitting on a throne which is losing its power.  How many new cases in schools and we are still debating if they should be open or not?   It's infuriating.  

The girl who cut my hair has been doing so for over twenty years.  It was a carefully orchestrated event, where each of us went to exteme caution to make certain neither of us got sick.  This was not me just going out and getting my hair cut. It was cautiously and carefully planned with someone I've known for close to twenty-five years.  I want to go on record saying this.  I'm of the school where if you don't wear a face mask, leave home and potentially infect others-you go to jail. If our Constitution allows one section of the population to endanger the lives of millions upon millions of others because it's their right...perhaps it's time to change it.  As much as it hurts; I pulled my dog out of the show next month.  It's irresponsible to do anything else.    sigh  

My good thing is that it's nice outside.  I had a pleasant walk with my dog.  It's all I've been doing. Yes, I want to go to a bar and drink vodka until I cannot drive and have to call Uber, but I'm staying home.  Yes, it would be great to go to a restaurant, which I can legally do, but I'm staying home.  I would have been in Oshkosh picketing my current president last night but I'm staying home.  Yes, it all sucks but dmway is right.  This is going to pass. 

I think Michelle Obama gave a great speech last night for the DNC.  I love her.  Could someome who watched please tell me who referenced Nero and playing the fiddle while Rome burned?  I think it was Bernie but am not certain.  It was very effective.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got accepted into University!

I convinced my dad to stay home today, because there are lots cases of coronavirus in their town!

One of my best mates who has been having  chemo and surgery for a nasty cancer had his post treatment scan results today and has been declared cancer free. It doesn’t get much better than that .

Posted Images

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2020 at 2:15 PM, dmway said:

Things will get better, hopefully sooner rather than later. 🍀🍀🍀

I concur. Thank you for saying so.  We all need to hear it from one another-myself included.  Thanks. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
On 8/17/2020 at 9:37 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

Several writer friends have this issue (mainly with cats) and they put second (unplugged) keyboards on their desks and that seems to work.

My dog knows better than to try and get up on higher surfaces.  I keep leaving the keyboard and mouse on the couch, which is fair playing field for her.  This is more a case of the pet needing to train its master.   😅

• Haha 1
  • Subscriber

It's beautiful outside.  We've had perfect Summer weather for about a week.   It is 78 degrees F (25-26 C), sunny and the sky is full of wispy clouds.

• Subscriber

Now it's really hot outisde again.  I finally got a check I've been expecting in the mail.  It was eight days later than it usually arrives, due to our mail being so slow.  I've been freaking out because I needed it to eat.  The money is now in the bank.  I can afford to stream the live Dawes concert, which is happening this Friday, from some rooftop somewhere in Los Angeles.  I was going to have to give it up and it was torturing me.  The stream is only $15.  They have a new album coming out in a month.  I was able to buy a really nice cap and a signed cd for $49.  The signed cd cost the same as if I went and bought it in a store unsigned.  I love Dawes.

• Subscriber

I'm all set to see a full Dawes show live from a rooftop.  Not sure where but I'm psyched.  It's starting in 35 minutes.  It feels surprisingly close to a real show.  I've seen these guys 60 times live-give or take a few.  It's seems like so long.  I should have seen them a half dozen times by now.  Go music! 

• Subscriber
On 8/28/2020 at 11:24 PM, Manohlive said:

I'm all set to see a full Dawes show live from a rooftop.  Not sure where but I'm psyched.  It's starting in 35 minutes.  It feels surprisingly close to a real show.  I've seen these guys 60 times live-give or take a few.  It's seems like so long.  I should have seen them a half dozen times by now.  Go music! 

I've watched several live-stream concerts during lockdown and really enjoyed them. In some cases, it's enabled me to watch artists that I wouldn't normally get to see live, like Juanes, a Colombian rock singer that I really like, but I think he's only ever played one or maybe two concerts in the UK. Another favourite band of mine, Powderfinger, reunited (virtually) after 10 years apart to do a special performance to raise money for music industry and mental health charities. Each one of them was recording from their own home (or a local venue in one case) and the lead singer Bernard was treating it like a proper show, encouraging us to clap along at the usual moments as if we were actually there with him rather than watching along from our homes. I think they ended up raising something like $200,000 Australian dollars for their chosen charities, which is amazing. 

I've also really enjoyed the BBC devoting sections of their iPlayer service to recreating music festivals that have been cancelled this year. They made over 100 Glastonbury archive performances available for us to watch and they've done the same with Reading/Leeds festival. Again, I've never been able to get to either of those, but I can explore the archive and watch performances by bands like Foo Fighters and Muse who I've not previously been able to see in person. I don't know whose idea it was to put these things on for us music nerds, but I sincerely thank them as it means *everyone* can have their own music festival this summer, customised to our own tastes B) 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
On 8/31/2020 at 6:07 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

Juanes, a Colombian rock singer

I also like him. 

On 8/31/2020 at 6:07 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

special performance to raise money for music industry

Dawes and The Head And The Heart sold crew tshirts to raise money for their folks.  A friend bought me one of each.  

The Dawes stream was exceptional.  It's one of the best times I've eve seen them live and it was in my living room.  They did a song called, Somewhere Along The Way, which is a real treat to hear live.  It's like their Bad in that you hope but rarely know if you'll get it at a show.  Also, they credited Trever Menear (very talented guitarist) as a member.  That's a first.  It made me very happy to see it.  He's from Chicago.  I'm 90 minutes north.  Their shows always have an even extra oomph when they play that wonderful city. 

After eight days of gloomy and gray rainy crap - The Sun finally came out for five minutes, right before dusk.  It's supposed to be beautiful outside tomorrow and for the next week.  We badly need it.

Also, UW Milwaukee, which is close to where I live, is expelling students for not following CDC guidelines with Covid-19..  They are refusing to refund the kids' money.  You would not beleve (or maybe you would by now) how many young adults are partying with no masks or distancing.  40 families have already filed suit against the university, which is my alma mater.  I hope they lose. I then hope the university does something for them but examples must be made.  Even I cannot believe how selfish Americans have become.  It's embarrassing.  It's a hopeless feeling when officials try to mandate face masks and people use our Constitution as an excuse to not do so..   I hate it, but, so many of us are doing what is right.

Trump's donors are backing out on him.  Biden raised $125 million dollars more then Trimp this last month.The big ones are all maxed out on what they can donate.  The others have begun to abandon ship to place their hope ($$$) in holding onto some of our Senate seats.  I alos read that many are pissed so much of their money is going to fight T's legal battles.  That man can do no good and he still gets his 42-43% of the vote.  They do not abandon him but it's not enough.  As it stands, he's probably going to lose.  51 more days until I get to vote his ass out of office.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber

@Manohlive We have a fair amount of Covidiots round our way too, sadly. In one recent case, an elderly volunteer at a local heritage railway was physically attacked by a youth who refused to comply with the railway's mask policy. Thankfully the elderly man wasn't seriously hurt, but it made him want to stop volunteering there. Unfortunately, there are some people who will use any excuse to avoid following the rules. I'd support the university in upholding their rules. Parents may be annoyed about their kids getting kicked out, but the uni has to think about the safety of their students and staff. Those parents would be even more upset if their kids ended up in hospital with Covid.  

On the other hand, you get good things coming out of all this too. My sister, who lives in the same street as I do, has been having barbecues in the front garden at weekends. Just for their household, but then her next-door neighbours picked up on the idea and began doing the same in their garden. They've been able to chat and get to know each other better (and swap recipe ideas) while still keeping a safe distance *and* keeping to rules about not visiting other households :D

As for Dump, I like to think people are finally realising that his incompetence is not only ruining America's economy, but it is literally killing people. And no sensible person wants to be associated with that. From what I gather, he's pretty much always been a fraudster and now it sounds like his donors and other supporters are finally realising he's only in it to make money for himself. I hope he loses the election by a landslide. 

And I am so happy that someone else knows who Juanes is. None of my friends have even heard of him :(

And my good thing for today is that I booked my ticket to go and see the new Bill and Ted film later this week. The local cinema website worked properly too. It wasn't working a couple of weeks ago when I last tried to book tickets on there, but it was working today. Maybe it knew not to mess around with the two Great Ones :D

• Subscriber

Oh, and another good thing was that we got our water fixed! My Dad tried to mend a leaking tap on Friday, but he messed it up and made it worse, so that we had to totally turn the hot water off in our house. We were having to boil water in the kettle to wash up with and couldn't have showers or even flush the loo properly :wacko:

But we found a local plumber this morning who was able to come and install new kitchen taps, so we're back to normal. Which is a relief :)