What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

illumination70

• Subscriber

I had the second part of my autism assessment today, and it was not as scary as I thought it might be. Some of the activities were fun - and the lady let me talk about favourite subjects as much as I wanted to. Including U2. 

I talked so much, my voice started to get a bit croaky. With lockdown and everything, it's been a long time since I've talked that much to anyone :lol:

• Like 1

• Subscriber

My Complete Icelandic Language Box arrived this morning - less than a week after it was posted. The estimate from the Icelandic postal service said it might take 2-4 weeks.

And I didn't get slapped with a customs charge, either. Royal Mail had emailed me earlier in the week to say that I might have one because of the value of the parcel. But it was delivered with no customs charge to be paid. 

More importantly: after a traumatic early end to the Denmark v Finland Euro 2020 match, it appears to be better news. According to a tweet by the Danish FA, Christian Eriksen is conscious and stable in hospital, after collapsing on the pitch.

The match was suspended and we are waiting to hear what will happen next in terms of completing the match, but that's not really important right now. The main thing is that is looks like Eriksen will be OK. And that is a big relief, because we were all fearing the worst.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2021 at 10:49 AM, padawanbeck84 said:

it was not as scary as I thought it might be.

I was just thinking about your assessment when I was walking my dog this past week.  I now the pandemic interrupted the process, or something.  Anxiety stinks.  I'm very happy it was not so scary.

2021 Milwaukee Irish Fest Lineup Poster

It's up!  It's on!  The music is announced.  The website is running.  I love the poster for this year.  the doves make me think of All That You Can't Leave Behind.  I mentioned this is the largest Irish Festival in America.  They have an Irish musical history tent.  The U2 board in that tent respresents them well, however, it needs to be updated to include IE/EI.  I'm not sure how...I'm going to figure a way to weasel myself in and convince them that U2 deserves better.   I'm giving the musical foundation my Irish Vinyls.  I may use that for leverage.  Is one allowed to do that?  A good deed followed by, "Hey, by the way..." ???  😄 

I'm going to offer to give them one of my U2 IE litgoraphs from the subsrivers' gift for that year. I've always thought those were a really nice gift.  I only have room for one or two so why not?  Art should be seen, not kept in a tube. it's a great way to represent IE/EI and make the content in our case have more U2 coolness. Most of what they have in the board is clippings, which simply will not do.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ducastista_992 said:

New boat 1st run today. 👍 :Zoo_Wrench::Zoo_Fish:

Faust harbour_a.jpg

faust harbour 2021-June-13_a.jpg

spruce point 2021-June-12.jpg

She looks sweet!

GREAT day for sports for me.

I watched the men's final of the Frech Open.  Tennis is my favorite sport to watch.  Whoa.  What a match.

The Milwaukee Bucks beat the Knicks, tying up the series. (Yesterday but super duper yay)  We were down by two games.

I watched the Islanders get one step closer to what I think is going to end up being the Stanley Cup.  They look great. Mathew Barzal is on fire.

The last dog in the line of Irish Terriers which is so very dear to my heart was shown for the first time this weekend.  She got four points; emphasis on she.  That means puppies down the line.  Joy is having a bunch of them all crawling on you at once.  The line was going to end until this female became available. I'm very happy for my Irish Terrier mentor and friend. Her granddaughter got this female and is going to keep the lone going.  Bruff, my first, is from that line.  I'm very happy for me too.

I'm proud to say I know the lady who owns the Irish Terrier (not the same one as above) which won best in breed and was on the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show earlier this evening at TV.

Somehow, I was able to get stuff done as well.   Great day.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Subscriber

I got my second Covid jab yesterday morning  B)  And so far there have been no side effects at all other than a slightly sore arm. Not even the cold chills I got last time. 

Also, a good thing from Wednesday was that I found not one, but TWO Maná CDs in a local music shop. Secondhand, but they're both in perfect condition. It's so rare to find any Spanish-language music in my area that it honestly made my day to find them. 

• Like 2
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

We in America finally have Juneteenth as a Federal holiday today! That was something I was never optimistic that I would ever see occur nationally in my lifetime.

For those not from the States who want to know what it is, click here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

Having this finally occur is just amazing. I found out about the observance, completely by chance, from my African-American students when I was teaching in San Antonio, TX back in the 1990s. I accidentally overheard them talking about celebrating “Juneteenth” (a word I had never heard before) when our academic year was winding down in May. I asked them what it was. They informed me that the slaves who were in Texas found out that they had been freed by President Abraham Lincoln with his Emancipation Proclamation on June 19, 1865 - the awful tragedy was that the proclamation was originally made effective on January 1, 1863, almost a full 2 1/2 years earlier. I asked them, “So, the slaves who were unfortunate enough to be slaves in Texas were slaves for 2 1/2 years longer just because they were in Texas?” Of course, they could only say “yes”.

Obviously, I was both shocked and appalled when I found that out. I also learned that it was a state holiday in Texas since 1979. I’m so happy that those students (along with their relatives and friends) who told me now know that this day is now a Federal holiday. A small step of progress; may many more come as quickly as possible.

• Brilliant 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

I'm getting to spend my morning enjoying a radio series I only found out about earlier this week.

BBC Radio 2 somehow snuck out a new Latin music series without me finding out about it - until I found the final episode on the TV schedule by accident. If I was being cynical, I'd say they maybe didn't advertise it much because they think it's a bit of a niche interest. But I'm glad I found out about it  :)

Thankfully, all the episodes are available on catch-up, so that's what I'm doing. Currently up to the second episode and dancing in my chair, as well as taking notes of songs to try and find later.