What Good Thing Happened To You Today (Continued)

illumination70

• Subscriber

I got to watch a brilliant football match this evening :D

Cameroon played Comoros in the last 16 of the Africa Cup of Nations and it was shown on the BBC red button service. For context, Cameroon are the host nation and one of the favourites for the tournament title. Comoros are an island nation ranked 132 in the FIFA world football rankings and this is the first time they've qualified for the tournament. 

Comoros were also playing a defender in goal because their 3 regular goalkeepers were ruled out due to injury and 2 Covid cases. That was enough to make it interesting, so I sat down to watch the match.

*Then* Comoros had their captain sent off after 6 minutes. You worried it could be a cricket score... but no. It was only 1-0 to Cameroon at half-time, 2-1 by the end of the match. The Comoros stand-in goalie did brilliantly to the point where I hope he got voted Man of the Match - and their consolation goal was one of the best free-kicks I've ever seen. 

It was a really good game, and I'm glad it was made available for UK viewers. Also, I think everyone that watched it has now adopted Comoros as a team to cheer for in future editions of AfCON, or if they ever make it to a World Cup. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Well, there was plenty of drama (including a hooligan invading the court), but Rafa Nadal fought back from being 2 sets down to win the Australian Open men's title - and set a new record for men's Grand Slam titles in the process  :D

It was also the first time in the Open era that a player had come from 2 sets down in the final to win the Australian title. All this after Rafa has talked openly about the fact that last year, he wasn't sure if he would even be playing this season due to an ongoing foot problem. 

I have followed his career since about 2006, so have seen most of it and honestly, I had tears in my eyes by the end. It may even have been better than the legendary Wimbledon final in 2008 - and it was lovely to hear the Aussie crowd cheering so loudly for Rafa that it sounds like they've basically adopted him.

The match took nearly five and a half hours - so long that the TV highlights programme started before the match had actually finished  :lol:

• Like 1
  • thumbs up 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Well, there was plenty of drama (including a hooligan invading the court), but Rafa Nadal fought back from being 2 sets down to win the Australian Open men's title - and set a new record for men's Grand Slam titles in the process  :D

It was also the first time in the Open era that a player had come from 2 sets down in the final to win the Australian title. All this after Rafa has talked openly about the fact that last year, he wasn't sure if he would even be playing this season due to an ongoing foot problem. 

I have followed his career since about 2006, so have seen most of it and honestly, I had tears in my eyes by the end. It may even have been better than the legendary Wimbledon final in 2008 - and it was lovely to hear the Aussie crowd cheering so loudly for Rafa that it sounds like they've basically adopted him.

The match took nearly five and a half hours - so long that the TV highlights programme started before the match had actually finished  :lol:

I stayed up to watch the first two sets and then went to bed thinking that Medvedev would most likely win the match after winning the tiebreaker in the second set. Rafa was all out of sorts in the first two sets; I had never seen him miss so many shots he would normally make in his sleep. 

I knew he could come back, and the crowd there was certainly on his side, but the situation did look pretty dire. I woke up a few hours later to see Rafa walking around with the trophy! 😄 I was shocked that the live TV coverage was still on; I was certain that even an extended match would have been over long before I flicked on the TV. Well, congratulations to him! He deserved the win. (He also proved to the world that, if you want to be the first men’s tennis player to win 21 majors, it helps to follow the host nation’s laws and be vaccinated against the coronavirus. Let’s hope that one of Rafa’s competitors in that regard learns that lesson before the French Open.)

• Like 1

• Subscriber

I've completed the first assignment for my Maths course - a whole week before the deadline! 

Normally I'm *awful* for leaving things until the last minute, and it's an online quiz rather than a written essay, but I've got it out of the way. I'm also tackling the first questions in the first written assignment... I'm being so organised that it almost feels weird :lol: 

Onwards to Unit 2! 

• thumbs up 1

• Subscriber

Did anyone see the men's figure skating on the Olympics last night?  Nathan Chen was brilliant.  He got a 13.97, which has never happened.  Also, the 18 year old Japanese skater looked really good.  I was very blah about the Olympics because, quite honestly, I wish their leaders would all get sent to camps.  I got over that and am enjoying the competitions between athletes from all countries.

• thumbs up 2