No Tour 'till 2015 True Or No, Deny Or Spill Truth / Hoping This Is Not True [Merged]

mich40

I sent the following email to the official U2 Information Service in Dublin (info@numb.ie) last night (UK time). I'll let everyone know if I get a reply…

"Hi there,

Just wondering if the band read any of the fan forums on the internet at all? If they don't, they should take a look at the forum on @u2.com (the best 1 out there by the way) and the confusion / anger / upset about the Billboard article published today saying that the new album has been delayed again until 2015.

After all the recent quotes from the band members hinting that an album and tour announcement is imminent (including Bono saying only last week that there are 2 albums nearly ready), plus the increased activity with the releases of Ordinary Love and Invisible, it is indeed very sad if the guys now feel the need to hire yet more producers to try and find the magic to enable them to finish 12 songs for an album.

Fans appreciate that the band only want to release something when they are happy with it - and we all know that they are perfectionists (which is why we've had 35+ years of brilliant music and tours already) - but then they should really just keep quiet and stop teasing us. 

Fans want them to stop trying to make pop songs for the kids and instead make ballsy / angry / groundbreaking / experimental music like they used to. No-one expects anything as good as Achtung Baby again (there can't be, as that was a perfect record) but fans want U2 to stop over-producing stuff again and again, and instead just have the guts to release something that's different.

It would be nice if U2 could put out an official statement of some kind, either to say the Billboard article is not true, or to say it is true - in which case they should disappear completely for this year, get their faces out of the music press, stop attending conferences about non-music things (Bono) and go away and finish the album. 

Alternatively, if there really is nothing left in the tank maybe they should call it a day - that will be a terrible day but at least fans would know where things stand.

Someone needs to tell the band that the quickest way to irrelevance is to release nothing at all. 

With kind regards from a dedicated, loyal, but frustrated U2 fan."

Great job with this letter!  This is one of the factors preventing me from being a paid subscriber-no communication from the band whatsoever...or the manager.  Someone has to be on social media in this day & age...stop with the teasers (people take vacation time based on some of these rumors, coming from the bands' statements in the media themselves), and have to plan financially in advance.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Subscriber

There is another topic on this Forum which includes a link to the Guardian newspaper which mentions that the Album is still scheduled to drop in 2014. 

• Subscriber

Of course you have to plan your vacation or whatever you have to do, but people shouldn't do it based on rumors and not official dates...

That's the point, we don't have any Official Information whatsoever ... :(

• Subscriber

Disappointing news, I hope it is not true. While I know that U2 owe us nothing and I am saddened by the tone and language of some of the comments by fans, I think U2 need to make a definite official statement to clear the air. For at least 3 years now we have been promised one, two, three and even four albums and now all seems to be coming to nothing. So at this point, please U2, for your loyal fans give us a definitive statement and not leaks, unsourced comments and hype from Bono. Treat us with respect, the kind of respect we hold you our favourite band in. :-)

• Subscriber

As a long time fan I just don't like the negative talk on her about U2.  They are my favorite band I love all the music they do.  If a new album comes out great....if they are not ready to release it yet for whatever reason...fine.  I have more things going on in my life besides waiting around for their new album.  It will come eventually and I'm sure I'll love it but I'm not going to obsess over it like some of the people on here.  This is only 1 of 2 fan websites I pay to be a member of and its because I love the band and they give us very nice membership gifts.  I don't join just to get access to concert tickets but that is a nice perk.  I will always be a member of this fan website whether they tour or not because I love the band.  I want to hear a new album as badly as the rest of you but it U2 don't feel ready to put out what they have recorded I will patiently wait and not bad mouth them for the delay.  Peace to all, I'm a fan forever.

• Subscriber

Everything you know is wrong..... The best lying band in the world . Welcome to the world of irrelevance. Coldplay is the biggest band in the world today, it's official. If they release in 2015 after all those lies, they are really wankers. I had been a fan of U2 for thirty years. That's definately it.

Coldplay can't touch U2.

Wake up man! Coldplay did just touch U2.  They release an album. U2 doesn't. Coldplay just took over the name 'biggest band in the world today'.

I only see an album release date for Coldplay... they've released nothing yet....  Besides.. releasing an album means nothing... The album could be total crap but even if it's awesome they still couldn't hold a U2 jockstrap.

Archived