Sign in to follow this  
Allegra

New Album? Wot New Album? (Merged)

U2 back in the studio?

Not only is it looking like U2's next album won't be out until 2014, but it also sounds like the band may have decided to go back into the studio to work on (more) new material.

If you follow us on Facebook, you may have noticed us reshare a post from Dublin fan Dave Griffith on Sunday, who wrote about his encounter near U2's studio with Edge's guitar tech, Dallas Schoo. Dallas told Dave that the album is due next year, but also talked about Edge working on completely new songs:

They're still writing stuff and Edge keeps coming up with new stuff. I'm actually off to him now!!

Larry Mullen also made similar comments last week at Adam's wedding. As the Independent reported a couple days ago, Larry said the band is back to working in the studio:

"We're working in the studio so we're dropping in for lunch and then we'll probably go back to work."

Asked if U2's bass player would be working on his wedding day, Larry joked: "I hope so - we've an album to finish."

By all accounts, U2 had actually finished recording earlier this year -- as much as a U2 album is ever finished -- and the mixing wrapped up at Electric Lady Studios in early June. In July, Gavin Friday spoke to the Herald in words that indicated the album was finished:

I've heard the new album ... It's definitely their most exciting release since Achtung Baby.

When Bono spoke with Newstalk FM recently, he said U2 is "nearly there" with the album, but didn't specifically say they were working on more new material in the studio. But it sounds like that may be the case. And it sounds similar to the build up before No Line On The Horizon, when U2 was reportedly finished recording the album, then decided to go back into the studio for some last-minute work.

Source: atU2.com  September 8, 2013

U2 back in the studio?

Not only is it looking like U2's next album won't be out until 2014, but it also sounds like the band may have decided to go back into the studio to work on (more) new material.

If you follow us on Facebook, you may have noticed us reshare a post from Dublin fan Dave Griffith on Sunday, who wrote about his encounter near U2's studio with Edge's guitar tech, Dallas Schoo. Dallas told Dave that the album is due next year, but also talked about Edge working on completely new songs:

They're still writing stuff and Edge keeps coming up with new stuff. I'm actually off to him now!!

Larry Mullen also made similar comments last week at Adam's wedding. As the Independent reported a couple days ago, Larry said the band is back to working in the studio:

"We're working in the studio so we're dropping in for lunch and then we'll probably go back to work."

Asked if U2's bass player would be working on his wedding day, Larry joked: "I hope so - we've an album to finish."

By all accounts, U2 had actually finished recording earlier this year -- as much as a U2 album is ever finished -- and the mixing wrapped up at Electric Lady Studios in early June. In July, Gavin Friday spoke to the Herald in words that indicated the album was finished:

I've heard the new album ... It's definitely their most exciting release since Achtung Baby.

When Bono spoke with Newstalk FM recently, he said U2 is "nearly there" with the album, but didn't specifically say they were working on more new material in the studio. But it sounds like that may be the case. And it sounds similar to the build up before No Line On The Horizon, when U2 was reportedly finished recording the album, then decided to go back into the studio for some last-minute work.

Source: atU2.com  September 8, 2013

Slightly concerning.

I thought they "wrapped up recording" in New York and Bono was already playing new songs to people.

If Edge is still writing these new songs, is Dangermouse still producing the album? Are the songs they have already recorded, not all of them are "reasons to leave home"?

it's so boring to see Bono doing everything but sing! and, sorry guys, but I dont care anything about his daughters career!!!!

We want NEW music!!!!

• Upvote 1

it's so boring to see Bono doing everything but sing! and, sorry guys, but I dont care anything about his daughters career!!!!

We want NEW music!!!!

Are you not even interested in what colour dress she's wearing then? or the colour of her underwear? New hair colour maybe? It's central to the music y'know  ;)  :lol:

• Upvote 1

.............................with no new album this year (sadly !!) my guess is another greatest hits package of some sort for the lucrative 2013 Christmas market. If that is the case then I hope they include a couple of new songs and outtakes from the last few albums........"Mercy" anyone??

Alright..let's get this straight...I don't think they are going to release a 'Greatest Hits' before a radical reinvention..it would be irrelevant !

I think they want to keep up this situation in which the tension in the fan community is approaching a climax as the release date is pushed further and further away and their statements are completely vague !

About the new songs.

In my opinion, out of the 4 new songs they had played on the 360: North Star, Glastonbury, Every Breaking Wave and A Boy Falls From the Sky, the latter is the best. Why? It has consistency, it is musically coherent, implying all the band's members contribution as opposed to the 1st and the 3rd with the addition of The Edge playing a more developed guitar part with multiple layers resembling the technique used for Glastonbury, these songs really show All the band was inspired when they worked on them. Of course, they all need more guitar work and a proper solo, at least Glasto and Boy !

About the lyric part...I've listened closely to all of them and I believe that 'A Boy Falls' has the best lyrics of them all...they show Bono writing (a lot of Metaphors, Artistic Images and Tension) and singing as hard as he can, plus: he uses hard language ('The Search through Shit-Formality') which is very cool, a good relief is always welcome!

In conclusion, with a little bit of work and two rocking solos: 'A boy falls From the Sky' and 'Glastonbury, maybe they could change its name' can be included on the next record.

As for Mercy: they trashed it on the 360..I'll go with including the Original (Bomb Sessions Version) as a B-side of a single or EVEN BETTER : Put it on the CD for the New Subscribers Gift !!!

Just the usual U2 drama before releasing the album, carry on...

at least they shouldn't whine about it once they release it.

If it took you five years to make a new album, make sure you like what you're putting out

I'm completely fine with waiting until they are ready to release the album. More time to save up for the tour! :D 

Besides it's not really their style to release something they all aren't completely (well ok nearly) sure about.

• Upvote 1

I honestly personally thought it would be out by December this year but Bono made that assumption invalid  :mellow:

This is probably going to go one of two ways either its bluffing to prevent an early leak of info so they can just drop something to catch everyone off guard a bit like David Bowie did this year to great effect or there is a delay to next year, but I wouldn't rule out the first one.

• Upvote 2