Thank You Lord! Eddie Would Go!

wahine

My son Eddie came back home from our house in Costa Rica and flew right back. He is scheduled to be back at Moffitt in late June then leaves for Huntington Beach, California to get back into the contest scene (except from the other side-he is going corporate, then will begin studies again to become a doctor-we need doctors in all these exotic surfing spots worldwide). I am so sorry that I am not allowed to release his regiments, they threw everything except the kitchen sink at him, telling us each time, the only reason they would even CONSIDER these treatments is he is a dead man without them and he is an athlete, other than the cancer, his health is perfect, didnt drink, smoke (which their idea of smoking and his are two different things) he had never taken pills or steroids or anything, the worst thing he ever did was get a tattoo in Tahiti the old school way, meaning the old ways, which everyone screamed including me he could have caught HIV, among Hep, etc. to satisfy his photographer (Eddie was scheduled for the Hollister shoot (Abercrombie & Fitch) in Punta Cana immediately following that the World Champ pro got the exact same tattoo, they each have their names on their arms and spiritual writings. Eddie's photographer Bruce Weber (I know he is known for his nude male shots-but he was my photographer when I was young and a pro surfer and model) LOVED IT and it ended up in Times Square and every mall in the Northern Hemisphere, so when he came down with this cancer that was the MONSTER of all cancers, spread to the bone, shattered his back and his neck, paralyzed him from the chest down, spread to organs, lung, everywhere so fast it was a NIGHTMARE. Its been EXACTLY ONE YEAR since his first operation and his chemo started 4 weeks later, after 5 major surgeries, chemo, targeted radiation, bone marrow shots, stem cells, chemo of 24/7 6 days straight repeated over and over and over while unable to move because of the rods in his back, this kid of mine, blew away every doctor, the best of the best doctors, doctors that invented new procedures on him, pathologists who were so baffled, trying to genetically map him, chromosomes that were baffling, cell structures doing things never before seen. His last surgery was St. Patricks Day (I use to spend St. Patricks running through the streets of Temple Bar, staying at the Clarence, or out in Howth, always went alone, it was my PRAYER TIME, this year I slept beside him and prayed non stop, he came through with flying colors and his numbers are normal. I get scared cuz each time they say they have it, it comes back meaner and somewhere else but for right now I will take it. On Easter morning the surf industry updated me with pics of him surfing and praying inside the barrel, my best friend's (and his Sponsor for surfing) parents just died funerals were yesterday and the industry sent me this photo, the others will go to the magazines. He caught this wave for us is what he said. He will return to Florida to Moffitt Cancer Center in mid June then go back to Costa then on to California. I am praying I will be able to meet up with him at my friends in Southern California. I know there is talk of a photo shoot at Malibu, for all the time I spent in California YEARS ACTUALLY and him as well, neither of us surfed Malibu (there were too many other good waves up that way from Ventura to Rincon, Hollister Ranch, all of the breaks, but if they do Malibu shoot I am for sure going so we can surf it together, we promised each other we would never surf it without each other. OK, long story short, I am not allowed to give out his treatments because its all trials and still not approved by the CDC, until then just know there are a bunch of folks working really hard to find a cure or at least control Cancer. My mother died of it at the end of February, so this can't happen soon enough!! Here is the picture they sent this morning in front of our home in Costa.eddieguilbeauplayahermosaguanacastecostarica.htm

In all honesty, it was this crew on the Zoo that kept me going along with the prayers you all sent and the Lord himself who never seemed to give up on my son or this Mama. There were times I was losing it, and just a kind word here would make me pull up my big girl britches and say LETS DO THIS! His first U2 concert was POP, LOL. He was only 10 years old, his sister was 11. They begged me to take them to see Third Eye Blind, yeah they had to twist my arm since T.E.B. was opening for U2 in Tampa! Those kids of mine were raised on U2, when he won the Quiksilver King of the Peak, yes, he is crowned a King LOL,  He was singing UNKNOWN CALLER. Here was the wave that won the most experimental maneuver ever invented, Kelly Slater gave the award. In the meantime the moment he got home he turned on UNKNOWN CALLER FULL BLAST. So you never know how their music touches folks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxDfsixNq_Y

This is a long video of the fundraiser they had for him but I look back and all the folks that supported him and then I think about my ZOO CREW that got me through the darkest year of my life THANK YOU TO THE ZOO AND TO BIG WAVE AND THE ENTIRE ZOO CREW! It all started out so easy, Testicular Cancer, NO BIG DEAL, It became a big deal when he waited too long and had spread to the bone, spine, organs, etc and of course it was such a rare tumor they had nothing to go off of. IT SPREAD LIKE WILDFIRE THROUGH HIM. Please remember when folks say Breast Cancer or this or that Cancer from Prostate to Lung, that is just where they find it, if not found in time, its a NIGHTMARE. They are making great strides his cancer did something no other had done and it was a constant race against time. The kid went from the top aerial surfer in the world to unable to walk and had to learn to just pull his foot forward. In one year he trained non stop and now I pray they dont wait much longer to bring out the results of these experimental treatments. There are more famous surfers in this video than you will find at any surf contest LOL!!! .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgRlmPc5v6Y THANK YOU ONCE AGAIN U2.COM FOR THE ZOO COMMUNITY THAT KEPT MY SPIRIT UP AND THE PRAYERS OF THE GOOD FOLKS ON HERE! AS OF THIS MOMENT, HIS TUMOR MARKERS ARE NORMAL AGAIN!!!