Rate Songs Of Innocence

utwothefly

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I don't think I can commit to a numeric rating. I'm noncommittal on that. lol B)  :P  I'm still getting to know the songs. At first listen I absolutely love the album. I've listened to it a fair amount since yesterday (ok a lot!) and still love the album. It gets better to me with each listen.

So far the stand out tracks for me are Every Breaking wave, Song for Someone, Iris, love the bass playing in Volcano, Cedarwood Road, Sleep Like a Baby Tonight, and The Troubles

I'm looking forward to the deluxe release and hearing the other songs.

• Subscriber

Now don't think I'm mad here but at the start of The Miracle...does anyone else hear anything reminiscent of....Adam Ant...clickity clickity click...?! :huh: (Please don't judge me I couldn't stand him!!)

Adam Ant! Now there is someone I've not heard in a while. I don't but I can see where you would.  :P

I think it gets an 8 out of 10 from me.

This album is a grower - the more I listen to it, the more I like it!  There is always something else to take notice off with each listen.

I have one small criticism and that's the track sequence - This Is Where You Can Find Me Now - should be the second song. Other than that, it's great.

The stand-out songs for me are: Volcano, Iris, Cedarwood Road, Sleep Like a Baby Tonight and The Troubles.

Songs of Innocence has to be now in my top five U2 albums - in my opinion, it's the best they've released since Pop, maybe even Achtung Baby.

What I'm loving more is that this set of songs complements their first three albums so well, particularly War, so I'm hoping for 3 or 4 songs off War played on the next tour.  Given the subject matter of some of the songs, I'd also like to see Please as a regular feature in the setlist on the tour.

Songs of Innocence will translate very well live, so I think the band will be able to play at least half of the album on the next tour. If the next album, Songs of Experience, is released before the new tour starts, who knows - the entire setlist could be mostly new material - now that really would be something!

Oh and just quietly... well not so quietly... ADAM CLAYTON YOU ROCK!!!  YOU ARE THE STAR OF THIS ALBUM!!!  (Maybe a bass solo should be a feature on the next tour????)

Edited by Fortitude

• Subscriber

If they drop the Coldplayish woah woahs from Miracle, I might actually enjoy it more. The song, not the album. I like 9 out of 11 songs on it.

Hmm I heard a bit of a Chris Martiny thing going on too!!

• Subscriber

Right...let's get down to some bullet points and bold type lol...*rubs hands together*

• The Miracle - starts a bit Adam Ant with that clickity click thing :blink: ...then goes a bit Chris Martiny..not my fave, wish they hadn't started the album with this tbh! 
  • Every Breaking Wave (or is that Every Breath You Take ;)) - like this one, love the vocals, Bono's falsetto has really come into its own on this album
  • California - love how upbeat it is, a real foot-tapper this one (has new single potential methinks!) but Bono step away from that Chris Martin whoa whoa thing (Joy Division twangs)
  • Song for Someone - classic U2. But Bono stop that yeah yeah yeah at that pitch - you are not CM!! More Edge vocals please.
  • Iris - no words.."I've got your light inside of me" emotional but bright (makes me think of Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own). Admire Bono for sharing such personal feelings in his songs (some Joy Division twangs again yey:)
  • Volcano - love love love, brilliant sound, this is a firm favourite!! Reminds me of the 80's! Good times :D..you don't wanna know! (10/10)
  • Raised by Wolves - clever sound, good vocals. Interesting. A grower
  • Cedarwood Road - not sure about this one, don't dislike it but not quite feeling it either, gets a bit Coldplayish in places to my ears
  • Sleep Like A Baby Tonight - dunno. Reminds me of another song but can't think what...anyone? Chorus washes over me a bit
  • This Is Where You Can Reach Me - LOVE. A joyful noise. Great vocals, great sound and brill production. Love that spooky sound!! (10/10)
  • The Troubles (The Tribbles?! sorry) - Nice one to end with. Hmm. Haunting backing vocals, catchy. A grower

Hmm that was an hour well spent ^_^

Listening again...getting seriously addicted

Edited by Anjana

• Subscriber

Now don't think I'm mad here but at the start of The Miracle...does anyone else hear anything reminiscent of....Adam Ant...clickity clickity click...?! :huh: (Please don't judge me I couldn't stand him!!)

Adam Ant! Now there is someone I've not heard in a while. I don't but I can see where you would.  :P

This made me laugh, I didn't notice until you said. To me it's like it has been pulled straight off With or Without you, which was actually a nice little comforter on the second song, kind of 'check out our awesome new/old sound, but don't worry, it's still the U2 you know and love'

• Subscriber

I dont think they actually will release a single from the album I'm not sure how they can to be honest, or who would buy it?

Everyone who WANTS the album will have it well in advance of the physical release.

The odd person will buy a physical copy too but I can't see it getting enough physical sales to rank highly in the charts.

Perhaps the next album is going to be the big single/mainstream album then they've had the best of both worlds.