U2's hit new album 'War'

MikeTighe

• Subscriber

Guys

I got an antique vinyl player the other day because it was cheap and looked nice in our flat. So naturally I ordered all of U2s eighties LPs.

'War' just arrived and I played vinyl first time. Wow. Just wow. I thought it was rubbish when people said vinyl sounds better. It just sounded amazing....like it was in its natural habitat.

This album must have blown your socks off in an bedroom in '83. It deserves to be rigged and untamed, not pristine as I've heard it before.

Bit inane, just wanted to share!

Mike

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

Hi Mike I have to admit to having a rather nice Project turntable and I prefer the sound of vinyl to cd anyday

Not wanting to sound like some kind of audio snob but nothing beats carefully sliding the vinyl out from its dust cover and very carefully holding it by its Edge and placing it carefully on the turntable

Its almost like a religious act.

A ritual that has to be performed before paying homage to the Sound

CD just ruined that

Even more inane

Asterix

• Community Moderator

I love my vinyl! And yes, there's something special about the sound. I still have most of mine from the 80's, still have all of my U2 ones. Duran Duran's first album, I had to buy twice bc I literally played the first one to death.

• Subscriber

Thanks for the comments guys!

Does anyone know why U2 vinyl gets so ridiculously expensive from 1991 onwards? Is it just because CDs were more prominent? (SOI excluded, obv)

Same problem when I started collecting vinyl :P Still missing POP, ATYCLB and HTDAAB because of the high prices... :(

• Community Moderator

Thanks for the comments guys!

Does anyone know why U2 vinyl gets so ridiculously expensive from 1991 onwards? Is it just because CDs were more prominent? (SOI excluded, obv)

Same problem when I started collecting vinyl :P Still missing POP, ATYCLB and HTDAAB because of the high prices... :(

I think that was during the decline of vinyl production and it was very limited and, I know, in the states, it was only available as an import.  I managed to grab both ATYCLB and HTDAAB when I lived in England a few years ago at reasonable prices on amazon.co.uk.  The ones that took me a while, and I must admit that I paid a ridiculous price for one of them were Passengers and The Greatest Hits 90-00, but I wanted the complete collection.

• Subscriber

I've got  soft spot for 90-00, it was actually my introduction to U2's nineties material (save AB) and the first new U2 album (of a sort, I know it's not a proper one) since I got into them. I flipped my lid when I heard electrical storm for the first time on 97.4 Rock FM in Preston whilst playing FIFA one sunny afternoon 

• Community Moderator

I've got  soft spot for 90-00, it was actually my introduction to U2's nineties material (save AB) and the first new U2 album (of a sort, I know it's not a proper one) since I got into them. I flipped my lid when I heard electrical storm for the first time on 97.4 Rock FM in Preston whilst playing FIFA one sunny afternoon 

Electrical Storm is one of those songs that just felt like home to me from the very first listen.