Personal letter to Bono - from a spiritual-sort-of-naive-person

drwarner

Dear Bono,

I’m writing to you who are a poet of our day and age.  You have a necessary place in society, giving voice to the sentiments people feel in their hearts. 

I want to thank-you for offering me your free album: Songs of Innocence through I-tunes.  It came at a time when there was no money in our budget for new music.  My heart has been unwilling to steal downloaded music from the artists and composers who created the poetry so my library has not had new sounds for some time. 

I took the time tonight to read your lyrics.  Some words have jumped out at me, hearing your haunting music that floats the message as I read.  “I don’t believe anymore.”  What don’t you believe?

The question you ask corresponds with a crisis of faith in my own life… perhaps for other reasons.  At this point in my faith journey I think I am landing in a different place from you.  I have had a hard time with God the Father’s sovereign control and power as it is presented in the Bible.  Knowing he is good sometimes seems a long way from the daily reality we are seeing – or experiencing in brutal life conditions.  Perhaps that is one reason that you have Bibles smashing in one of your songs.  When I see God – I know he is good even though the world is very, very evil.

You say in your poetry you are a long way from the hill of Calvary.  I don’t know exactly what you mean – but this is one place I find myself a lot.  I find myself spending time at the foot of the cross.  I’m looking for the way God reconciles his sovereignty with the brutality of a broken world.  The thing that keeps me going in my faith journey is the doubtless fact of the Roman torture stick – the cross Jesus experienced on the hill of Calvary.  There is so much that is still unresolved in my past, but I know that Jesus continues to mediate between me and his father – knowing my pain. 

Bono, another song that struck me is the song “Sleep like a Baby Tonight.”  Here’s the question that might shut down this short [onesided] conversation: Are you thinking of suicide?  Does suicide seem a good option to you?

I reach out to you from my own brokenness.  I’m listening to the song now – it touches my own depth of agony.  I’m glad I don’t need to share the details of the horrors of one nine or ten hour period of my life.  It has brought me my own thoughts of suicide – but for me suicide is an empty option. 

I won’t ask you to not commit suicide (the song might not be expressing your own heart).  The words of anyone begging you to not kill yourself might just pass over your head like the mumbling noise of someone speaking a language you don’t understand. 

I’d love to meet you and talk to face to face – one human to another.  Suicide offers what seems like an easy way out of the mess of society.  Here is where we need to ask for truth – what is true? 

Grace travels outside Karma – it’s a profound statement you made years ago.

Grace reaches out and offers the bloodstained hands of Jesus on the cross of Calvary – to help a person get out of the noose before the trap-door opens for a hanging.  Jesus hung for us so we can find our own un-earned freedom - grace.

Karma law threatens: suicide causes bad karma – threatening a brutal future of many difficult reincarnations.

What do you believe Bono?  If you are following evil-personified – he/she’d love to take your life because he/she wants as many with him/her in Hell as possible.  I don’t always agree with the Roman Catholic teaching that all suicides end in Hell (I’m protesting many things in and with the Roman Catholic Church).  At times mental illness might end in suicide and God knows all things and will do what is right.  But a crushing end to life isn’t an escape – we can’t escape the one who judges the living and the dead.  Again, I’d love to talk, broken-man-to-broken-man, so that a short conversation might not be mis-understood.

If you ever find yourself walking in the shoes of Robin Williams please contact me first.

• Subscriber

Bono, another song that struck me is the song “Sleep like a Baby Tonight.”  Here’s the question that might shut down this short [onesided] conversation: Are you thinking of suicide?  Does suicide seem a good option to you?

the song is about the abuse of young boys by priests of the Catholic Church, many who have gone on to kill themselves because of the pain.

I highly doubt Bono is thinking of suicide, especially with a wife & 4 kids. mentally he's in a good place, physically he's healing from the bike accident.

I know you wrote this letter to Bono but this is a U2 fan forum so I felt the need to reply. 

• Subscriber

Thanks BigBunny.  Bono is a busy guy and it is great when someone is able to step in and speak for him.  Sometimes songs have double meanings too... I'll re-read the song to hear it again.

I didn't know the meaning until another Zootop posted about it, then I was like  :o  :( when he sang about red eyes 

I thought he was referring to having a hangover. I now know who "purple robes hanging on the kitchen chair" refers to.

there is also an alternate version of the song on the deluxe 2cd. some people prefer those lyrics as they are taken from

the victims point of view, at least that's how I hear it. 

the song is about the abuse of young boys by priests of the Catholic Church, many who have gone on to kill themselves because of the pain.

The song is full of emotional pain - especially when the electric guitar invades the song.  Connecting the sleep of a baby to suicide sounded to me like it was promising suicide as an escape from pain.  I'm still pondering... giving the poetry time to settle.