Even more dates--?

• Subscriber

Wondering if we're going to see any additional dates (besides Dublin, whenever that's announced).  I'd lay better than even odds for an 8th and final NYC date; the 7th is selling pretty well (although see below).  Additional LA dates seem unlikely, but then again, adding the 5th date there was surprising.  Likewise, looks like Chicago will stop with 5.  Both LA 5 and Chicago 5 have substantial seats remaining.  In Europe, of course, a 4th Barcelona date was just added.  Unlike the US/Canada, it's hard to tell how well the European dates are selling (until they're sold out), because in Europe you don't get to see "individual seat" maps.  But on general principles, I suspect we may see a 6th London date.  Also, it seems a bit surprising that more Koln date(s) haven't been added (yet), given that the first two are sold out and there's room in the schedule for more.  Seems like maybe a Berlin show could be added as well (not quite enough schedule room for two), given that the first four are sold out.

A couple of odd things I've noticed about some of the US ticket sales patterns.  In the 7th NYC show, the remaining available tix are heavily concentrated in two parallel (across the arena from each other) areas for no apparent reason (yeah, a couple of these sections say "side view" (109 & 115), but the sections right next to them (110 & 114) don't, and are even more heavily unsold).  Oddly, in contrast, the corresponding sections on the other side of the arena (104 & 120, by the RZs) are mostly sold.  This "remaining tix" pattern for NYC shows is new--it didn't happen this way at all in the preceding NYC shows.  Also, in some venues (e.g., Chicago), many of the remaining 200-and 300-level seats are in neatly alternating rows, which makes no sense at all (?)--it can't be a price thing, so I can't imagine why that would be the case.

Edited by mike7man

• Subscriber

A couple of odd things I've noticed about some of the US ticket sales patterns.  In the 7th NYC show, the remaining available tix are heavily concentrated in two parallel (across the arena from each other) areas for no apparent reason

The reason is pretty simple, since it is based on Ticketmaster picking best available for users, and its algorithm deciding that those were not the best available $312 seats, probably because of an end stage-centric algorithm. The seats in between those two areas were sold at a cheaper price, so people selected those specifically to save money. So, when the system flips from picking seats for you to presenting you with a map to pick your own, what remains is the least desirable, most expensive seats.

• Subscriber

I'd say the 5th London isn't selling out to well and a 6th date will probably be added but will struggle to sell the expensive seats. Surprised there is no extra Paris shows, they sold out quick and there's space to add them in. Strange the 6th London show wasn't announced with the 4th Barca show, that's if there will be one.

• Subscriber

A couple of odd things I've noticed about some of the US ticket sales patterns.  In the 7th NYC show, the remaining available tix are heavily concentrated in two parallel (across the arena from each other) areas for no apparent reason

The reason is pretty simple, since it is based on Ticketmaster picking best available for users, and its algorithm deciding that those were not the best available $312 seats, probably because of an end stage-centric algorithm. The seats in between those two areas were sold at a cheaper price, so people selected those specifically to save money. So, when the system flips from picking seats for you to presenting you with a map to pick your own, what remains is the least desirable, most expensive seats.

Not sure that really adds up, or at least not in a clear way.  I see what you mean about the "best available thing", but--this pattern didn't happen w/the first 6 NYC shows, despite presumably identical TM algorithms, etc.  Unless, maybe, U2 management released some additional staging details to the venue (?)

Edited by mike7man

• Subscriber

I'd say the 5th London isn't selling out to well and a 6th date will probably be added but will struggle to sell the expensive seats. Surprised there is no extra Paris shows, they sold out quick and there's space to add them in. Strange the 6th London show wasn't announced with the 4th Barca show, that's if there will be one.

I'd bet on a 6th London date as well, unless the 5th is really going slowly (like LA 5 & Chicago 5).  Re Paris, it started w/two, and they added two.  I'm guessing they only had options for 4 in all there (re dibs on the venue, etc.).  But why not extra Koln shows?  Not too surprised that a possible 6th London date wasn't announced w/Barca 4--although, maybe your memory is better than mine here--were Barca 3 and London 5 announced at the same time?  If so, I take that back.

• Subscriber

Not sure that really adds up, or at least not in a clear way.  I see what you mean about the "best available thing", but--this pattern didn't happen w/the first 6 NYC shows, despite presumably identical TM algorithms, etc.  Unless, maybe, U2 management released some additional staging details to the venue (?)

It has been noted elsewhere that the pricing changed, though. So, some seats that were $315 in the early shows are $118 now, so that would affect the patterns.

• Subscriber

I hear you Jeff, but the NYC 7 tix I'm talking about are all lower-level (no price change on this level).

I think it's really just about them flooding the NY market now.. and with 7 shows it's harder and harder to sell tickets at $300+ per ticket. Even diehards and people like us that want to see multiple shows at some point stop buying tickets. I stayed away from the top priced tickets to allow me to get tickets to more shows, of course now we over bought (see other thread if interested), the price difference you think you're seeing may not be.. Some of the sections you're talking about I believe had a mix price range, I don't know the specific sections but I don know that one of the night I bought tickets that were the $100+ price my friend has tickets same section that were over $300 but he's in Row 2 I am in Row 14 I believe