City Of Blinding Lights / 11 years old?

djscottu2

• Subscriber

I was listening to city of blinding lights, on my ipod, and thought to myself this came out in 2005, and thought wow 10 years ago..    ten years have passed??  and then i looked at my CD and it actually came out in 2004..  wow..  11 years ago...   and then i thought about, how i went at midnight to TOWER RECORDS to buy it.. the CD..  i bought the CD and the Special Limited Addition...  i miss those days...  people talked to people instead of on there phones...  we waited in lines til midnight to buy music..  it was fun/nerdy  idk..  we were there for a reason, an interest of U2 music and it brought us together outside in the cold (Boston) so we bonded...  and then i thought how i was listening to it on my ipod now... (which is probably outdated now) all this digital technology...  killed the the Record Store Industry..  (TOWER, NEWBURY COMICS, even Best Buy doesnt have much of a selection anymore) Amazing what has happened in 11 years, which seems to have gone by in a blink of an eye, it seems....   Im looking forward to seeing U2 July 11th in Boston...  I know they are up to something good...  I saw them in the same building 10 years ago... and they blew me away...  i know they will again

• Subscriber

Great post !

Totally agreed with you, man....However I ripped all my U2 CDs in WAV as it is much more easier (I'm not a banker and my laptop CD-player is damaged and doesn't lay CDs right anymore) and pleasant to listen for me, however I think going to the store and buying the CD is other-worldly, these are some of my best memories, not standing in line or bonding or anything, s people here hate U2 but essential experiences to my intimate and secret U2 love that I keep from the mean U2-hating world outside !!!!!!! Whatever you do with the CD is your business afterwards...I rip them in WAV and listen to WAV as many times as I want, thus protecting the Prized CD collection too !!!

And yeah..mp4 is LAME...I hate itunes....!!!!

• Subscriber

There is a great record store here on Long Island in NY called Looney Tunes- they still have signings, concerts and events. On Record Store Daylast week I read on FB and twitter they had a huge crowd and line down the block prior to opening. I didnt go but should have tried to get anumbered copy of SOI limited edition. I have the vinyl already so I didn't try for the numbered edition that day. They had lots of special release vinyl that day for a bunch of artists. I did try to get it from them online after and it was sold out!! Amazing I have a 16 year old daughter and all she and he friends want are vinyl. I just spent too much on 4 limited edition EP's for her for -the 1975 - sold out in an hour. I threw all my LP's away when CD's came out- go figure- my collection would probably be worth a small fortune! Great throwback record store- so few left. Miss those days too--

• Subscriber

I was listening to city of blinding lights, on my ipod, and thought to myself this came out in 2005, and thought wow 10 years ago..    ten years have passed??  and then i looked at my CD and it actually came out in 2004..  wow..  11 years ago...   and then i thought about, how i went at midnight to TOWER RECORDS to buy it.. the CD..  i bought the CD and the Special Limited Addition...  i miss those days...  people talked to people instead of on there phones...  we waited in lines til midnight to buy music..  it was fun/nerdy  idk..  we were there for a reason, an interest of U2 music and it brought us together outside in the cold (Boston) so we bonded...  and then i thought how i was listening to it on my ipod now... (which is probably outdated now) all this digital technology...  killed the the Record Store Industry..  (TOWER, NEWBURY COMICS, even Best Buy doesnt have much of a selection anymore) Amazing what has happened in 11 years, which seems to have gone by in a blink of an eye, it seems....   Im looking forward to seeing U2 July 11th in Boston...  I know they are up to something good...  I saw them in the same building 10 years ago... and they blew me away...  i know they will again

Agreed friend. I was living in Tulsa attending bible college. I went to our walmart (before they were super centers, this location was 24hrs though). An older gentlemen was opening boxes. I asked if the new U2 cd HTDAAB was in there somewhere. He said he just started putting everything up. I couldn't wait, and out of excitement, I dug through a box or two. To my surprise I found it. Went to check out and they had a 1st day sale on it? So it rang up for like $8.64 (being after tax even?!) I was excited about that too! lol. I remember getting to the car, opening the cd, listening as I went thru the booklet with pictures... and I remember when City of Blinding Lights came on. LOVED it. Love the album. Love U2. Just me and U2 in my car at midnight. I turned my brother into a fan with this album and I also bought him the best of the 80s and 90s. Great memories. Time sure does fly. Can't believe the tour is almost here. ready to rock 'n roll!

• Subscriber

I saw U2 in Boston ten years ago :).  It is hard to believe that it's been 11 years, isn't it. I miss those record store days.  Thanks for the memory :).

I saw U2 in Dallas ten years ago as well! Hard to believe. My first concert. I just turned 18.

• Subscriber

Agreed friend. I was living in Tulsa attending bible college. I went to our walmart (before they were super centers, this location was 24hrs though). An older gentlemen was opening boxes. I asked if the new U2 cd HTDAAB was in there somewhere. He said he just started putting everything up. I couldn't wait, and out of excitement, I dug through a box or two. To my surprise I found it. Went to check out and they had a 1st day sale on it? So it rang up for like $8.64 (being after tax even?!) I was excited about that too! lol. I remember getting to the car, opening the cd, listening as I went thru the booklet with pictures... and I remember when City of Blinding Lights came on. LOVED it. Love the album. Love U2. Just me and U2 in my car at midnight. I turned my brother into a fan with this album and I also bought him the best of the 80s and 90s. Great memories. Time sure does fly. Can't believe the tour is almost here. ready to rock 'n roll!

Great Story, CHAD !!!! B)

• Subscriber

When "The Joshua Tree" cam out, I went to Towers Records in mid-town Manhattan to buy the CD and cassette :).  Lol, I am old enough to remember standing online at a ticket out to buy tickets.  

Love your story, Angel of Harlem !!!

• Subscriber

When "The Joshua Tree" cam out, I went to Towers Records in mid-town Manhattan to buy the CD and cassette :).  Lol, I am old enough to remember standing online at a ticket out to buy tickets.

I remember waiting on a super long line at a video store to get tix for Popmart at Giants Stadium at ticketmaster outlet. Got nosebleads and when i went out to my car i had a flat tire and had to change it. Best day ever!!