Meeting the band members

• Subscriber
Something has been bugging me since I went to see the two U2 shows in Phoenix, and I can't quite put it into words yet, but I'm going to try...

Each day, before the sound check, I waited outside the venue in hopes of getting autographs. I arrived around noon each day. I waited with a crowd of other people, and it was hot, I was thirsty, and I needed to use the bathroom, but I didn't dare give up my space. Most of the other fans around me were very nice, but some people were rather pushy and rude.

On day one, I saw Bono and Adam, but couldn't get close enough for an autograph. I did, however, see the two of them very close. Close enough to see their eyes, their skin, their hair. I heard them speak. It was amazing to be so close to two famous people I admire so much. It was surreal.

Day two, The Edge came out and this time I managed to get an autograph from him. When The Edge first came out to greet the fans, he was smiling, but after 15 minutes or so, he didn't seem very happy. He was polite, but it seemed forced. This made me start thinking about the fact that these four amazing people that make up U2 are, in fact, people.

I started thinking about what their daily lives might be like. I tried to really imagine what they go through... For example, I traveled to Phoenix to see them and the time zone change really has messed me up. Two days later, I still feel "strange." Imagine changing time zones, day after day, for months! Yes, they are famous; yes, they make tons of money. You can argue that point all you want, but they are still human beings. This experience (seeing them up close) has made me think about all they've had to sacrifice to bring their fans the wonderful gift of their music. Their songs have touched my life deeply. I've actually made some major changes in my life at various times because their song lyrics really made me stop and THINK. Now I'm thinking about what they've given up to give their music to their fans. Things that the rest of us take for granted: birthdays, graduations, anniversaries, and even mundane things - like the freedom to go wherever we want whenever we want. If I want a pizza, I go out for pizza. They can't even do that without being mobbed. You might argue that they could pay someone to bring them pizza, or maybe they love the attention, or maybe that's the price they pay for fame, or maybe you think the huge amount of $$$ they earn is worth what they've had to give up... But I, personally, think it would suck.

When I saw The Edge that second day, I sensed frustration and maybe even a bit of sadness from him.

If ever I have the privilege of meeting anyone in the band again, I don't think I will shove anything in their faces for an autograph. I'll just observe and try to express my gratitude for all they've given us (and all they've given up for us).

I hope this makes sense! (And yes, I have been told on many occasions that I think too much!)

• Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

I don't think it's a hard ship to spend a few minutes signing autographs or having a few selfies with the people that having been standing outside for hour after hour,it's these people that let them live the life they have.

They don't work from 9 to 5 they might work there butts of for 2 or 3 months then have a month off in the middle of a tour,then when it's finished return to there mansion for a few years until it's time to do it all again.

I'm not having a dig at them but I was in tiffanys in 1981 when they had nothing now they have the world.a few minutes puts a smile on a lot of people.

But I'm glad they are not charging for meet and greets I think that's just greed from must bands now

• Subscriber

I applaud them for taking the time out that they do to meet people whilst they are on tour, and for not charging for meet and greets, (the ultimate rock star low in my opinion).

However, though they'd never say it, it must be a chore to spend so much time signing things (many of which will end up on ebay), and having endless photos taken etc. I know it's the price they pay, but it all seems rather mindless to me.

I may be a bit odd but despite being a huge U2 fan, I have no desire to meet any of them, largely because it is a pointless interaction. I don't really want anything signed, and I'm sure that I have nothing to say to any of them that would be of any interest, and that they wouldn't have heard a million times before. 

The best I can do for them is to stay away and let them rest up between shows. 

• Subscriber

That's why I never ask for an autograph...I feel so bad. The most I've ever asked is for a photo with them but that's never ever in a setting where there's hundreds of other people. I know I'd get cranky if I had to deal with people pushing and shoving all while thrusting anything and everything in my face! Think of it this way...they're not going to remember you, they're probably not even going to get a good look at your face while they sign whatever it is you hand to them. I see and hear about so many fans who will go to everything to try and meet the band, and have had multiple interactions with them in the hopes of being remembered by them as if it will give them some sort of leg up, or just bragging rights. In my opinion it's just not worth dealing with the pushing and shoving...in fact sometimes the band won't come out if the crowd is way too big or aggressive.

• Subscriber

U2 appreciates their fans, at the end of the day they don't need to come out and sign, but they do and it's always a nice thing they do which leaves a lasting memory for those who do meet them. They had pizza and bottle water sent to fans waiting in line for Vancouver, some people waited up to four days before the show. Not every band would appreciate that dedication from their fans, but U2 seems too, They are one of the biggest bands in the world, if not, the biggest, if they didn't want to meet their fans, they wouldn't. But they make an effort to, it may not be every band member at every city, it seems Bono has been trying to meet the fans at every city, with others doing so as well. For those that do get to meet them, it really comes down to what you prefer, be it an autograph, or a handshake/hug, or a photo, I wouldn't fault any fan at all for choosing one or the other.

I have been fortunate enough to have met them all a number of times since 1992, Bono the most, and all have been quite kind, from when it was just myself and a friend meeting Bono and Edge with two other fans to meeting them with a large crowd around us. If Edge may not be over happy one minute about meeting fans, we also don't know what is going on with him, he could perhaps have other things on his mind, but still wanting to come out and meet the fans.

There will always be the overzealous fans who push, shove, and make the experience less than great, those people generally are the ones who get an earful from other fans and rightfully so. I tell people if they want to meet the band, it can and will happen, it just may take time, and to always remember the three "P's"....Persistence, Professionalism, and Patience.

Edited by K5Jon

• Subscriber

Not every band would appreciate that dedication from their fans

Which ones would those be?

Perhaps I should rephrase what I said.....Most bands would appreciate that dedication from their fans, U2 seems to appreciate it more. Fair enough?

• Subscriber

I was lucky yesterday and did get to see Bono and Larry!! And Bono did sign my record purse after a very nice guy(dude) :D did hand it to him and kindly asked if he could sign it...and he did. I will post a pic of it later..it made me the happiest U2girl/woman....... He smiled and even spoke about the dudes that helped me get it signed after I acknowledge him for passing it to Bono and said thank you!!! :D

Larry was cool as a cucumber....he came out to say hello..and shake hands. It was awesome to finally see Larry...he is the only U2 member I have never met and greet. I was amazed how Bono took time in signing and saying hello....I love U2 so much. They have given me..all of us a great music life and I am forever grateful to them always. :wub:

Did meet some awesome fans and we were all very excited and appreciative of the meet and greet. Be prepared to wait though. We did arrive around 1:00 ish...and there were already people waiting. Some of them took pics for me and sent them to my phone. I have a great pic of Bono signing my purse!! :)

• Subscriber

I was lucky yesterday and did get to see Bono and Larry!! And Bono did sign my record purse after a very nice guy(dude) :D did hand it to him and kindly asked if he could sign it...and he did. I will post a pic of it later..it made me the happiest U2girl/woman....... He smiled and even spoke about the dudes that helped me get it signed after I acknowledge him for passing it to Bono and said thank you!!! :D

Larry was cool as a cucumber....he came out to say hello..and shake hands. It was awesome to finally see Larry...he is the only U2 member I have never met and greet. I was amazed how Bono took time in signing and saying hello....I love U2 so much. They have given me..all of us a great music life and I am forever grateful to them always. :wub:

Did meet some awesome fans and we were all very excited and appreciative of the meet and greet. Be prepared to wait though. We did arrive around 1:00 ish...and there were already people waiting. Some of them took pics for me and sent them to my phone. I have a great pic of Bono signing my purse!! :)

Congrats on meeting Bono and Larry and getting the photo and autograph. See, I told you it would happen! Quite happy for you, great shot of Bono too, now you should have it all framed up! Did Larry sign or just come out and meet fans? What time would you say they came out? I have a friend down there who is going to try and do the meet-greet soundcheck thing too. I realize the times change but roughly what time was it at?