• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seeing U2 on opening definitely did nothing for me. My expectations of a band's live output changed after I saw 7 of 8 JAMES 2012 North American shows. Each was so different from the the other, I could scarcely believe I was witnessing such awesomeness in person.

JAMES set a bar that U2 unfortunately this time have not been able to. I hoped for the best since it was an Arena tour this time and the indoor Elevation Tour was incredible. But the screen is the show and not even getting to hear most of the new album live was a real letdown. And the cringe worthy version of a certain song. God...

I'll probably get rid of my U2 heritage if the next leg is as scripted and un-dynamic as 2015 was.

I want to believe instead of supporting a lie.

• Subscriber

I think to compare James to U2 is a bit like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Ferrari - both have been around for a while but I've never heard a Ferrari drive wish they had a Fiesta! 

For me there are weaknesses in the set and it could be varied up but then I guess if you were to poll everyone then every set would be different. Reaching into the back catalogue is great and I hope that the reaction and response to tracks like Gloria, Two Hearts, Bad, October and Zooropa gives the band something to think about. I think the most glaring omission (for me) from SOI is The Troubles, which I feel is one of their best, and most haunting, songs of the last 20 years and Lykke Li's voice just works wonderfully with Bono's. I'm hoping / expecting this to get played in London, Belfast and Dublin as it's such a key song for these locations and, sadly, Northern Ireland is back in the news just now.

I'm not convinced that One or ISHFWILF are show closers, or Bad for that matter. I'd prefer 40 all day long but then I'm old school. 

In all I'm liking the show but I think the band are playing a little safe but it's a long tour and there's hopefully more to come next year so let's give them the benefit of the doubt - I mean, it's not like they've been at the top of their game for nearly 30 years!!! :blink:  

• Subscriber

I think I'll wait until I see them at the O2 until I make judgement. I am liking the set changes with October and Zooropa but it would be good if they would make a few changes to the first half of the set.

• Subscriber

Are you kidding personally can't wait, all I've read just adds to the excitement. I'm 54 and followed U2 right from the early days and just love the way they re-invent themselves.  I really think you'll love the shows I'm buzzing already for London!

• Subscriber

Are you kidding personally can't wait, all I've read just adds to the excitement. I'm 54 and followed U2 right from the early days and just love the way they re-invent themselves.  I really think you'll love the shows I'm buzzing already for London!

I'm buzzing for it too. One thing I've noticed, having gone back and watched some 360 shows, is that to me, right now, the band just seem to having so much more fun than they were back then, and that definitely feeds into the performances. Definitely looking forward to the opening four songs, that looks like something that really gets it going. The regular setpieces and thematic elements are on point as well - I mean, THAT performance of Bullet, going into Zooropa, going into Streets...

• Subscriber

sadly, Northern Ireland is back in the news just now.

Not really. More important stuff going on in the world. Just a bunch of politicians throwing their toys out of the pram over here, not much else. :)

More concerns located in Europe with the migrant/ refugee debate, and in GB with the appointment of a far left labour leadership. ;)