Ode to the Chairman

kiss_the_sky

• Subscriber

Ah, the Chairman. If there is an artist I've listened to more than u2 (or the Beatles), it is Old Blue Eyes. My dad had every one of his albums, and though my father passed away in 1996, any time I listen to Frank it's like spending time with my dad. So I find it spiritually significant that my past (Francis Albert) is now connected to my present (u2).

When the i&e tour began, the first thing I noticed was Bono's attire. Out with the leather jacket. In with the sport coat. Gone were the wrap around sun glasses, replaced by something that might be worn, by, dare I say it, a lounge singer. I've also noticed Bono has started to borrow from Frank's repertoire of hand gestures. Sinatra's signature gesture can be seen below at the 1:33 marker of the first video. Hand turned upside-down, motioning forward in the style of a classic orator. The gesture typically surfaces during slower, contemplative songs, accompanied by lyrics so pregnant with meaning that whatever he is singing can't possibly capture it all. So via this gesture, the singer invites the listener to fill in the gaps with your own imagination, thoughts, and feelings, and Frank, like Bono, is pretty damn confident in your ability to do so. And, really, isn't that what a good live performance is all about? Letting the music trigger a flood of emotions, thoughts, and spiritual connections?

Of course, the first video is one of Frank singing a song Bono reprised over the summer. Best I can tell, Bono has been singing snippets from Send in the Clowns since long before he met the Chairman. Fascinating, no? I see a pattern. Bono pays homage to a fellow recording artist as a way of opening the door. For anyone in the business of relationship building, take note.

In the second video we have Bono's speech at the Grammy's. I posted this for two reasons. First, to show the mutual love and respect between the two men. But also as a segue to the third video. No one will ever doubt bono's star quality. He has the swagger of a showman to the stars. Yet Bono's speech, as good as it was, is followed by Old Blue Eyes himself, and in this case the emphasis is on Old. The Chairman had many peaks and primes during his long, illustrious career. The 1994 Grammys was not one of them. Video #3, by contrast, is a whole different ball game. It is the Chairman at the top of his game. The swagger, the cool, the command, and the bigger than life persona are all on display. Come to think of it, any time he got on the same stage as the Count, you couldn't help but watch the magic unfold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRk2oo3jRg

Edited by kiss_the_sky

• Subscriber

In this video, we have Bono reminding us that Stay was provisionally entitled Sinatra, but goes on to say, he's not sure why. Hmm. I think if we watch the video in the next reply, we'll all know why.

Edited by kiss_the_sky

• Subscriber

Brilliant, kissthesky..love, love all these. Frank Sinatra is timeless and Frank said Bono's introduction was the best welcome he ever had. There is no doubt you can see and feel the inspiration of The Chairman Of The Board when listening to, Stay and I've Got You Under My Skin and this tour especially. Though they come from different eras, they are connected and stay connected.Thanks for posting. :)