Amsterdam Shows 3 & 4 #U2ieTour Reviews & Comments Thread

Poll: What Was Your Favourite Song(s) Of Each Night?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Your favourite song(s) of Show 3? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • The Electric Co.
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised by Wolves
    • Until the End of the World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better than the Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Elevation
    • Volcano
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • October
    • Bullet the Blue Sky
    • Zooropa
    • Where the Streets Have No Name
    • Pride (in the Name of Love)
    • With or Without You
    • City of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Mother and Child Reunion (snippet) / One
  2. 2. Your favourite song(s) of Show 4? Please choose up to 3 (three) songs...

• The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)
    • Out of Control
    • Vertigo
    • I Will Follow
    • Iris (Hold Me Close)
    • Cedarwood Road
    • Song for Someone
    • Sunday Bloody Sunday
    • Raised By Wolves
    • Until the End of the World
    • Invisible
    • Even Better than the Real Thing
    • Mysterious Ways
    • Magnificent
    • The Sweetest Thing
    • Every Breaking Wave
    • October
    • Bullet the Blue Sky
    • Zooropa
    • Where the Streets Have No Name
    • Pride (in the Name of Love)
    • With or Without You
    • City of Blinding Lights
    • Beautiful Day
    • Mother And Child Reunion (snippet) / Bad
    • "40"

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Community Manager

Amsterdam 4 - my eXPERIENCE (after the iNNOCENCE)

There was something in the air.. a different vibe surrounding night 4 in the Ziggo Dome.

Was it adrenaline, still in the system from night 3? #U2ieTour innocence broken, bit exhausted, still processing all of that? ‘Afterglow’?

Or was it that this was a last night in the city, and that feeling that something really special could kick off… ‘lift off’ as a friend of mine calls it…

From early on it was lift off alright. Vertigo. That intro was nailed to the floor.. timing tight to the millisecond… uno, dos, tres, CATORCE! … that momentary musical stop before ‘Hello Hello’  - timed perfectly with my own heartbeat.

LIFT OFF occurred in that moment. I was already Out Of Control, (back in spot 2 in the set), and so were the GA fans. Bouncing.

All of this.. all of this can be yours.

Walk away, walk away. I will follow…. In unison we all sang it. We did follow.

“We come here to surrender… to the higher love.. higher than the soul”

It was great to hear that the band had been spending some time with Anton Corbijn, Bono told us of the day spent with him on Hargen Beach, and that photos taken that day may appear on the Songs Of Experience cover! Wow.

Iris, like last night, had me spellbound. Lost again. Jaw dropped again at the imagery  in Cedarwood & Song For Someone (must remember to hold chin next time..)

I was already ‘experienced’ in the next section fully. The story within the story that begins with the band moving single file up the catwalk and stopping to play Sunday Bloody Sunday. Lit by the colours of the Irish flag, as overhead the screen shows images of the fallen, but not forgotten from that awful day Friday 17th May 1974. #Registration1385WZ.
(Check out Edge on that end part of Raised By Wolves, doubling up on guitar AND piano.. its fascinating to watch how he does this..)

The story within the story that concludes Set 1 with Until The End Of The World and the very clever on screen / off screen interplay of Bono & Edge, set off with lightbulb moments, waves of regret & joy and… that scream of COMFORT ME!! that just leaves you… like the dropped, torn up book-confetti…in pieces.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Fused together by Invisible, we were HERE! (again!) And the sound of a thousand clicks of mobile phone-cameras trying to capture that moment when we are all lit up by the full house lights… (Haven’t see a photo or video yet that comes close to capturing physically experiencing this moment).

Even Better Than The Real Thing into Mysterious Ways… another Amsterdam girl dancer was pulled up (remember Laura from last night?) - too funky for Bono as she was guided over to Edge, she also was given the Meerkat phone to capture the next bit.

The next bit… Not played on this tour until now… not heard in this form anywhere until now. Innocence returned as Magnificent. (Checking out the social streams later, things went off the scale from this point).

That feeling that was in the air earlier… that something special could kick off… had materialised. Become real. The presence became present.

The rollercoaster went deep as well as high. I said in my Show 3 review that I would pick up on the ‘home’ theme that cries out over the next section of songs and all the accompanying things that are on the giant screen. Well that processing and in depth-ness that it deserves is still not yet ready to put on paper… (hopefully soon!)

Streets REALLY lifted off into the stratosphere, I was in awe of the whole crowd bouncing bouncing bouncing bouncing, arms in air AND we only gone and got SHINE LIKE STARS in WOWY!!!!!

And so to the final Act of my weekend with #U2ieTour. If I had actually written the setlist myself from this point it would have been no different. City Of Blinding Lights another song that seeing and hearing live, is incredible this tour.

A beautiful beautiful day… with probably the best end to a show I have been at maybe ever. Bad and 40. Bad is my song I guess. So personal. And 40 makes me blubber. Every time. Bono beating his chest urging on Edge, Larry & Adam, and segueing the 2 songs together worked so well… Maybe half improvised, but thats what made it so special.

I walked away… leaving the arena to the raising of the roof… How long… to sing this song…?

When this tour was first announced, the idea had been to do completely different shows, 1st night innocence, 2nd night experience. As things developed, that idea changed a bit. But in many ways, when you do get to see 2 shows, especially back to back ones, this is exactly what you get. The shows themselves have many similarities each night (and many change ups) - but as a fan, night one, you are innocent (to this whole thing), and 2nd night you have become experienced, and you see a whole host of things you missed previously (especially if you do a GA and then seats or vice versa).

So thats it. I am done now right? I seen the show, twice. That’s enough for you eh?

Probably not. (How far is that drive to Stockholm??? then to Berlin, then… )

• Subscriber

Glad to see you enjoyed it all Bigwave. I went all 4 nights in Amsterdam and night 4 was indeed the best in regards to setlist but for sure also the 

energy in the house, a lift off straight after OOC. On the rail in the red zone in  front of Adam, it couldn't be any better

Edited by malahidemarina
  • Subscriber

When this tour was first announced, the idea had been to do completely different shows, 1st night innocence, 2nd night experience. As things developed, that idea changed a bit. But in many ways, when you do get to see 2 shows, especially back to back ones, this is exactly what you get. The shows themselves have many similarities each night (and many change ups) - but as a fan, night one, you are innocent (to this whole thing), and 2nd night you have become experienced, and you see a whole host of things you missed previously (especially if you do a GA and then seats or vice versa).

Great review, bigwave! You have a talent for expressing the feelings that result from seeing a U2 show. I went to the two Phoenix shows - saw one from the seats, and one from GA - this also helped give me two very different perspectives. It was almost like having the innocence feeling twice. :)

Ah, how I wish I could see them play '40' live someday... I've been to 14 (I think?) shows, and never had the luck.