Wires vs RedHill assigment and Long term FanClub member

blur991

• Subscriber

I'm getting more and more irritated at the 'I've been a fan since XXXX' posts. So what? I was born the year after the Joshua tree and the vertigo tour was my first gig, ever. Is my appreciation for the band somehow less because I missed out on Zoo TV? I'd have killed to have seen it but I enjoy not being 30 yet too so hey ho. Ultimately, staying on top of something you pay for and then renewing the payment or choosing not to isn't rocket science, and speaking as someone who's survived the Glastonbury sale, it is possible to pick things up on general sale. Certainly devising an effective plan for that or reading much of the useful advice on here is much more productive than whining on ad infinitum. Not denying for a second ticketmaster aren't being pretty naff and that it's not frustrating, but to quote Frank Underwood, "you are entitled to nothing."

Mate, You seem to have missed the bit where they weren't sending renewal emails and numerous people have stated such. I won't even go into your pompous, entitled, judgmental response. But you did miss the point, mentioned frequently, where this wasn't an issue in prior presales, But oh yea, you weren't buying tickets during those.

Again, no worries here. I got my tickets, as I'm sure others also figured out a way. The true point is to restore what should be a seniority based membership platform, as was the case apparently until 25 December of 2016.

The Vertigo tour was your first gig? So there it is, you were one of the "so-called U2 fans" that Larry Mullen Jr. mentioned at the time. Enough said.

Let's hope Larry steps up again in 2017.

Edited by blur991

• Community Moderator

I'm getting more and more irritated at the 'I've been a fan since XXXX' posts. So what? I was born the year after the Joshua tree and the vertigo tour was my first gig, ever. Is my appreciation for the band somehow less because I missed out on Zoo TV? I'd have killed to have seen it but I enjoy not being 30 yet too so hey ho. Ultimately, staying on top of something you pay for and then renewing the payment or choosing not to isn't rocket science, and speaking as someone who's survived the Glastonbury sale, it is possible to pick things up on general sale. Certainly devising an effective plan for that or reading much of the useful advice on here is much more productive than whining on ad infinitum. Not denying for a second ticketmaster aren't being pretty naff and that it's not frustrating, but to quote Frank Underwood, "you are entitled to nothing."

Mate, You seem to have missed the bit where they weren't sending renewal emails and numerous people have stated such. I won't even go into your pompous, entitled, judgmental response. But you did miss the point, mentioned frequently, where this wasn't an issue in prior presales, But oh yea, you weren't buying tickets during those.

Again, no worries here. I got my tickets, as I'm sure others also figured out a way. The true point is to restore what should be a seniority based membership platform, as was the case apparently until 25 December of 2016.

The Vertigo tour was your first gig? So there it is, you were one of the "so-called U2 fans" that Larry Mullen Jr. mentioned at the time. Enough said.

Let's hope Larry steps up again in 2017.

Emails were sent... Actually, emails are always sent.

And not only that: the site notifies you that your subscription is about to end when you log in closer to your subscription expiration date...

It's true that glitches happen and in some cases emails could get lost... Having this in mind, it means you have to keep checking periodically the site...

also... sorry, but there are not "so-called U2 fans" or "real fans" around here. There are U2 fans, with different experience and points of view, but it's just that.

Please keep the discussion civil. Thanks.

• Subscriber

Max basically said all my points for me. If anyone else found what I wrote to be pompous, sorry. It wasn't intended as such, and there's nothing I've written which isn't true.

There's no zero sum game as to why people love the band. We can all rub along together, no? Thanks for having a go at me for the audacious crime of being 17 years old in 2004 though. Appreciate it. What was I supposed to do, grab a TARDIS and write a secret propaganda issue zero in 1976? This is why the 'real fans' monicker is nonsense. There is no them, only us.

Taking Max's advice and staying out of this now. Not being sucked into personal insults. In closing, don't let your membership lapse if you don't want the best access to tickets. You can have some incredible experiences if you contribute to the boards and get the most out of your membership, and I honestly think in most things in life, you get more out of what you put more into.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Everyone moaning and complaining about letting the memberships laps probably let it lapse back in 2015!! Stop complaining and take your responsibility and be pro-active!! When people let their subscription lapse there's always the risk of not getting what you want ticket wise.

This got me to thinking if I have really been lapsed for that long. I just checked my email history. The last time I paid my renewal was in 2015 extending my membership though December 4, 2016. I did not receive a reminder email--I do have my whole order history and notices of new offers and show announcements that were particularly prolific back in 2010. I get it though. It's still on me to keep it current. I'm fine that those of you who were on top of all this were a day ahead of me and accept personal responsibility for the junk show that is my life (I'm regularly late paying my phone bill too). I'm just annoyed that as someone who has been a subscriber for years I was in the same pool as people who were buying day-of memberships directly on Ticketmaster. And I still find it outrageous that they released 300 level tickets at the far end of the stadium to the Wires Group first before the GA batch. I got it all sorted out after a day on the computer with multiple browsers open and my smartphone and a call to Ticketmaster. I got what I wanted but what an incredible cluster. I just don't remember it being this complicated on any other prior tour (well maybe back in the days when you had to call Ticketmaster from a landline or line up at the Ticketmaster outlet at the mall and hope the agent there had their shit together--I guess that was worse).

Anyway. It will all be fun and I am thrilled to see these guys on tour again.

• Subscriber

No one is a better U2 fan and I apologize to @MikeTighe and anyone else that I offended. I love the band and anyone can love them too.

My life is a shit show too but apparently has been a shit show before this round. I went through my history of emails and here the same problem was addressed in 2004. So U2 has addressed this in the past my guess as a recognition of just simple longevity. Maybe that was wrong? Maybe they should have been more brutal about cut offs? IDK

I also think it's bad business practice for Fanfire not to take stock of a customer's entire history with them when addressing requests.

Anyways! Thank you all for posting and sharing thoughts. And apologies Mike! You sound like an amazing fan!

Edited by kellyjoe323

• Subscriber

Don't worry Kelly. Apology not necessary!

I get why people are frustrated - been there with other artists and as I say, the ticketmaster end of this is beyond unacceptable. No reason it should be such a nightmare. I was actually trying to be more positive than nagging - phone reminders regularly save my life, and actually I do think with enough determination, most people will be okay getting U2 tickets. Finding a way to get them is always more useful than being pissed off about it - determination helps more than umbridge in this situation.

Scarlet Mist has got me into gigs I thought impossible many times. It is about not giving up though. Also, personally I've had a great experience with the fan club so think it's only fair both sides are aired.

Dunno if I'm an 'amazing' fan lol! I love hearing about all the tours I missed from those who are a bit older and the Sydney, Red Rocks and Mexico DVDs are some of my most worn discs. Just a different experience I think. It's funny, when you're a teenager into U2 in the 00s era in Preston, you get the piss taken a lot. I got a lot of comments about Bono not giving all his money to Africa. I usually threatened these people with a strongly worded letter via amnesty international, with an envelope sealed by tears shed during 'with or without you' - because that's how a proper U2 fan deals with conflict.

• Subscriber

Ideally, U2 would use the same system as Pearl Jam: Buy the tickets on the band's site and find out your seats when you pick them up at the window on show day based on seniority.

The first two rows are lottery, so the same people don't get up front every show.

Very fair and stops scalping.

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

Me too ... based on seniority Pearl Jam & Metallica Rocks !! I will Not Going to See U2 this summer ...

Joshua Tree Tour 1987

• Subscriber

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

Me too ... based on seniority Pearl Jam & Metallica Rocks !! I will Not Going to See U2 this summer ...

That is NOT how the 10 Club works anymore.

Members  indicate which shows (as many as they like) they want to buy a PAIR for.

Then there is a lottery during which member numbers get pulled. Seniority gets you no advantage at this point.

IF your name is pulled, then your membership number (seniority) is how seats are allocated. 

So, their system results in some members getting not even 1 ticket to 1 show, while others get pairs to multiple shows.

As a 10C member who has not had his number drawn for the last 3 PJ tours and the last EV tour it won't surprise you to learn that I think their system sucks.

3 days into a members-only sale and people at u2.com are STILL able to get GA tickets. There are clearly issues with how U2.com is executing the presale, but be careful what you wish for.

• Subscriber

I like that idea

Me too sounds cool

That is NOT how the 10 Club works anymore.

Members  indicate which shows (as many as they like) they want to buy a PAIR for.

Then there is a lottery during which member numbers get pulled. Seniority gets you no advantage at this point.

IF your name is pulled, then your membership number (seniority) is how seats are allocated. 

So, their system results in some members getting not even 1 ticket to 1 show, while others get pairs to multiple shows.

As a 10C member who has not had his number drawn for the last 3 PJ tours and the last EV tour it won't surprise you to learn that I think their system sucks.

3 days into a members-only sale and people at u2.com are STILL able to get GA tickets. There are clearly issues with how U2.com is executing the presale, but be careful what you wish for.

Totally agree - 10C member and struck out last tour along with a few other friends who are lengthy members. I have had success with U2 presales every tour and renew every year when i receive the notice that renewals are open. Definitely not a perfect process but pretty solid for a fanbase the size of U2's.