Wires vs RedHill assigment and Long term FanClub member

blur991

• Subscriber

Mine lapsed last year and I didn't realize it. I honestly thought I had renewed. I renewed on Dec 25th. So I was just a day short keeping my long time status. I really hope I haven't screwed myself out of GA tickets. I can't afford decent seats. GA is the only way to be close and stay within my budget. We'll see how it goes on Thursday I guess. I hope this isn't the first time I don't get to see them live.

• Subscriber

Same boat myself. Paying member since U2.com started and Propaganda before that. Forgot to renew until 12/27/16 and was booted down to a new subscriber pre-sale.

I emailed the site and talked to a nice lady (call 855-867-5297) who said she would turn it over to a higher up, but she doubted anything would come of it. Got an email from u2.com basically saying nothing could (or would) be done.

I get that longtime continuous members who have diligently renewed before their expiration date should be duly rewarded, but it is a bit of a slap in the face to know that someone could have joined the day before this Christmas video dropped and get placed in a Day 1 pre-sale while someone who re-ups 48 hours after, and has spent several hundreds of dollars on a fan club membership over the years, is relegated to a new membership/ day 2 status.

BUT- I actually feel a certain sense of relief because now I don't feel like I have to renew every year to maintain some kind of spot. And after spending lots of $$$ on U2 stuff over the past 30 years (I think it's fair to say I've contributed a few bucks to Edge's Malibu development legal fund) it might be nice to save a $50/ year fan club membership every now and then.

So good luck to all those long time members who find themselves in the Wire pre-sale group!

• Subscriber

I signed up in 1992 and have never let a year go by without renewing, but certainly not knocking those who have. Every December I tend to get a reminder email that I can renew early for the following year, as my membership generally renews in March because I originally subscribed in March 1992. If you ever change your email make sure to update your U2.com account and check your spam/junk mail folder as well, I think most, if not all, members are emailed in December as well regarding the next year's renewal, etc. There used to be three pre-sale groups devoted to fan club members, for this tour it is two. I appreciate the perk of ordering tickets early however I do kind of feel if someone has been a paid member for 20+ years they should be allowed to purchase sooner than someone who signed up a year ago, or perhaps they will change it so the renewal gift each year gets better the longer you are a paid member. But overall I am still quite pleased with what I get for $40 a year.

• Community Moderator

I signed up in 1992 and have never let a year go by without renewing, but certainly not knocking those who have. Every December I tend to get a reminder email that I can renew early for the following year, as my membership generally renews in March because I originally subscribed in March 1992. If you ever change your email make sure to update your U2.com account and check your spam/junk mail folder as well, I think most, if not all, members are emailed in December as well regarding the next year's renewal, etc. There used to be three pre-sale groups devoted to fan club members, for this tour it is two. I appreciate the perk of ordering tickets early however I do kind of feel if someone has been a paid member for 20+ years they should be allowed to purchase sooner than someone who signed up a year ago, or perhaps they will change it so the renewal gift each year gets better the longer you are a paid member. But overall I am still quite pleased with what I get for $40 a year.

I will add this: Please keep checking periodically the site and Zootopia - many announcements appear in both places, including those related to renewals....

• Subscriber

I've been a member for quite a while (25-30 years) and was accustomed to receiving an email when it was time to renew, especially since they went fanfire. Alas, no email last time around. When I logged in yesterday for the first time in a while, I noticed I wasn't up to date, and my stomach sank. Sure enough, I'm considered a newbie now. 60+ shows and I'm a new fan. sigh. I know I should have stayed on top of my status, but a reminder would have been helpful. Also, a little consideration or a heads up from the site. I've sent an email, tried calling to no avail, but I have a feeling I'm SOL. I'll still be trying for tickets on Thursday morning of course, but if the seats suck, I may be staying home this time around. Maybe the boys will do a second round around the ol' US and I'll be able to get the GA's like every time before. I wish everyone who is going through the same dilemma much luck! 

Peace.

• Subscriber

Something just occurred to me: 

The older we fans get, the more of us will forget to renew our membership on time.

Pretty soon, all the best tix will be up for grabs again! WOO-HOO

:wub: :wub:  :wub:

Much <3 to you all!

• Subscriber

I am in the same situation.  I have had my membership for years (and hundreds of dollars) and when I renewed last week I was placed in the "Wires" group.  Yes, my membership had lapsed, but maybe a reminder from the site would have been helpful.  It's not like I don't have a few other things to pay attention to in my daily life.  I am very disappointed that tickets are going on sale in a few minutes and I have to wait 24 hours for the chance to get anything.

• Subscriber

To quote the Mirrorball Man  or even Macphisto from the ZOO TV Tour :

"For love or money???"

"Money...money...MONEY!!!".

Member since the Propaganda Days. Still have the issue that "Hasta La Vista, Baby!" came with. The CD is still going strong after 17 years! My favourite U2 album, in fact!

Lapsed membership, then signed up just the other day...yes, because I wanted presale access to JT '17 seats. So I'm a noob Wire.

Rewards are for those who are fortunate enough to keep shelling out the fees, year by year. MONEY.

Unfortunately, LOVE is not enough.