tan_lejos_tan_cerca

The Action Thread Part Two

AGRICULTURE

Rising with the roosters and running with the cows

2 November 2016 4:32PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

Join the fight against extreme poverty

In partnership with One Acre Fund, ONE will follow a small community called Luucho in Western Kenya through the agricultural season.

het_24421000

John with goats he brought to sell at Myanja market in Chwele, Kenya.

John Sirengo almost never stops running.

The livestock seller from Luucho village, Kenya, starts each morning with the first crow of the rooster. With seven children to feed, he’s always on his feet. He jogs eight miles to the nearest market, herding the cows left over from yesterday’s sales with a small stick.

John spends most of the day running from market to market, but he’s not just chasing cattle. He’s also racing after better prices. Cows usually sell for higher sums of money in the morning, so he always tries to be among the first sellers to arrive at the market every day.

“As a businessman, I try to make as much money as I can, even if it means sacrificing my sleep or walking to the furthest markets,” says John, who’s known fondly in his village as Mchurusi. It’s a name that translates to cattle seller in the local Bukusu dialect, although John also buys and sells goats, sheep and chickens.

Arriving early not only guarantees better prices. John is also able to spot and buy the healthy-looking cows before his competitors. He regularly buys cows, anticipating that he will be able to sell them for more money at the next market. Cows with large udders, straight legs, large frames and complete sets of teeth are in high demand and attract top prices.

On a good day, John can make a profit of $20. However, his income is never guaranteed. Market prices fluctuate every week, and it is common for cattle sellers to end up with losses.

Scenes from around Myanja market, one of the markets in Kenya where John sells his livestock.

Scenes from around Myanja market, one of the markets in Kenya where John sells his livestock.

Sometimes sellers like John are unable to find customers who are willing to pay more for their cattle. That often means they are forced to keep their livestock at home, incurring high costs for feed. John cannot afford such losses. Before traveling to any market, he calls his friends who live nearby to inquire about the prices that day.

“I have many responsibilities to provide food, clothing and education for my family, and so I’m always in need of money,” John says. “Still, I cannot solely depend on selling cattle, and so for three days in a week I work in my farm.”

John, like many Luucho residents, is a smallholder farmer.  John owns half an acre of land that he uses to plant maize.  For many years, he experienced a series of poor harvests. In 2009, John learned new planting techniques from One Acre Fund, a nonprofit organisation that supplies smallholder farmers across East Africa with seed, fertiliser, and training. John started applying the skills he learned, such spacing his plants in rows, and in the next season, his harvest tripled. While John keeps the majority of his harvest for food, he now has a small portion left over to sell when he goes to the market to trade his livestock.

Goats John brought to sell at Myanja market in Chwele, Kenya.

Goats John brought to sell at Myanja market in Chwele, Kenya.

Apart from selling his own produce, John also helps other Luucho farmers find good markets for their crops. While conducting his cattle business, John scouts for the markets offering the highest prices for maize and other farm produce. Many of his neighbours knock on his door in the evenings to ask where they should sell their crops the next day.

Those evening courtesy visits also come from neighbours who are interested in buying cattle.

“The whole village trusts me to choose the best cows. If people want cows for milk, beef or to pay a dowry, they all come to me,” John says. “I’ve built good relationships with all my neighbours because of my work.”

John also plays the role of a banker. Despite the small income he makes for his business, John is among the highest-earning people in Luucho. Most of the people living in his village depend solely on agriculture for their livelihoods and have to raise money from limited income sources to feed their families. Because of this, John often lends small quantities of cash to his neighbours to buy food.

“This season, we have not received enough rainfall. Our crops wilted, and as a result we are going to harvest very little,” John says. “I’m worried because this means the whole village will be hungry.”

If indeed farmers in Luucho harvest little food this season, then John as their Mchurusi will become more important to his village than ever before. The demand for him to lend money to his neighbours will increase, and in turn, John will need to wake up even earlier to find a better price for his cows.

Want to keep up to date with the citizens of Luucho? Check back next month for part three of this year’s harvest series.

One Acre Fund supplies smallholder farmers with the financing and training they need to grow their way out of hunger and poverty. Instead of giving handouts, they invest in farmers to generate a permanent gain in farm income. One Acre Fund provides a complete service bundle of seeds and fertiliser, financing, training, and market facilitation—and delivers these services within walking distance of the 400,000 rural farmers they serve. They measure success in their ability to make farmers more prosperous and they always put Farmers First.

Via ONE

Colon cancer deaths rise among younger adults, and no one knows why

By Jacqueline Howard, CNN

Updated 1954 GMT (0354 HKT) August 8, 2017

Colorectal cancer: What you need to know

It's 'chemical warfare' on our children

Recovering addict and 12-year-old son reunite

When life on Earth began, it was purple

Better-for-you versions of your favorite treats

The accidental activist

Why we're more bacteria than human

Price: Trump pledging to fight opioid crisis

Sinead O'Connor's struggle with mental illness

What is autism?

¿Está la salud en Honduras al borde del colapso?

County's morgue overflows with overdose deaths

It's 'chemical warfare' on our children

Recovering addict and 12-year-old son reunite

When life on Earth began, it was purple

Better-for-you versions of your favorite treats

The accidental activist

Why we're more bacteria than human

Price: Trump pledging to fight opioid crisis

Sinead O'Connor's struggle with mental illness

What is autism?

¿Está la salud en Honduras al borde del colapso?

County's morgue overflows with overdose deaths

Source: CNN

Colorectal cancer: What you need to know 01:10

Story highlights

• A new study shows colon and rectal cancer death rates are rising for adults under 55
  • Data show the death rate increase is confined to whites; among black patients, there's a slight decline

(CNN)Adults in the United States are dying from colon and rectal cancers at an increasing rate about age 50, when they should just be beginning screenings, according to a new study from the American Cancer Society.

Since routine screening is generally not recommended for most adults under 50, the cancers found in younger adults are often in advanced stages and more deadly, said Dr. James Church, a colorectal surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.
Church, who was not involved in the new study, said he has seen this trend in death rates up close. Last year, on separate occasions, Church saw two 36-year-olds with stage IV colon cancer, he said.
In both of those patients, who had no relation to each other, the cancer spread to their livers, making it so he couldn't operate. Both died, he said.
"They both had young families, both little girls, and they lost their father in one case and their mother in the other, forever, because of this nasty disease when it's advanced," Church said.
"It makes a big impact on me, and it makes me keenly interested in trying to solve this issue," he said. "Everybody in colorectal surgical circles is seeing increased incidence of colon cancer in the young, defined as younger than 50."
The new study, published Tuesday in the medical journal JAMA, is a followup to one that found that incidence rates of colon and rectal cancers are rising in American adults under 50, the recommended screening age.
According to the previous study, adults born in 1990 could have twice the risk of colon cancer and four times the risk of rectal cancer at the same age had they been born in 1950.
The reason for the rise in both incidence and death rates remains unclear.
"We've known that there's this increasing trend in people under 50 for incidence, but a lot of people were saying, 'Hey, this is good news. This means people are getting more colonoscopies, and cancer's being detected earlier,' " said Rebecca Siegel, an epidemiologist at the American Cancer Society and lead author of the new study.
Now, "what (the new study) indicates is that the increase in incidence is a true increase in disease occurrence and not an artifact of more colonoscopy use," she said. "If it was just colonoscopy use, you wouldn't expect to see an effect on death rates, or even you might see a decline in death rates."
Colorectal cancer, which includes both colon and rectal cancers, is the third-leading cause of cancer-related deaths in women in the United States and the second leading cause in men, and this year, it's expected to result in about 50,260 deaths, according to the American Cancer Society.
Globally, colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer, according to the World Cancer Research Fund International.

A 'surprising' racial divide

The new study included data on colon and rectal cancer diagnoses and death reports for adults ages 20 to 54 in the United States from 1970 to 2014.
The mortality data came from the National Cancer Institute's Surveillance, Epidemiology and End Results Program, as reported by the National Center for Health Statistics, which tracks cause-specific mortality rates.
After analyzing the data, the researchers found that colon and rectal cancer mortality rates among 20- to 54-year-olds declined overall from 1970 to 2004 but then increased by 1% annually from 2004 to 2014. In 2014, the total colorectal mortality rate in that age group was 4.3 people per 100,000.
Additionally, "when we looked at the trend by race, the increase in death rates is confined to whites, and in blacks, we see a slight decline over the entire 45-year study period in death rates," Siegel said.
"That's very surprising, because whites and blacks have similar patterns in the major risk factors for colorectal cancer, like obesity," she said. "A lot of people want to look to the natural culprit, obesity, but that probably isn't what's completely driving this increase in colorectal cancer."
It turns out that what's driving the increase in both colorectal cancer incidence and death rates remains a mystery, Siegel said.
"It's important to mention that still the risk for colorectal cancer is low in people under 55. We don't want to be alarmists. The risk is low," Siegel said.
"In whites, the increase over the past decade was a 14% increase in the rate. So it's not enormous, but it's concerning, because the trend has changed direction," she said. "It was declining, and now it's increasing."
Some key factors that can impact mortality rates include the stage of cancer at the time of diagnosis, treatments received by patients and the molecular subtype of the cancer, said Dr. Nancy You, a colorectal cancer surgeon and associate professor of surgical oncology at the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
Still, while such large population-level studies are excellent for showing large-scale trends, they often don't allow for deciphering the causes for those trends, said You, who was not involved in the new study.
For instance, the data analysis in the study didn't reveal the proportion of advanced versus early-stage colorectal cancers over time or whether the proportion of patients who received stage-specific treatments changed over time, You said.
"The study also did not compare the cancer-specific mortality rates of young versus older adults with colorectal cancer in the same time," You said.
"Finally, young age-of-onset rectal cancer appears to differ from young age-of-onset colon cancer, because the rise in incidence rates of rectal cancer is much more dramatic," she said. "The mortality rate difference based on colon versus rectum would also be interesting for a future analysis."
You added that, between 2004 and 2014, there were many advances in surgical and chemotherapy treatments for colorectal cancer.
"So the findings reported here raise the concern that 'why are such treatment advances failing to deliver their promise of improving survival among young adults?' " she said.
All in all, the study "tells us that we need to get messages out for people when they turn 50, they need to call and schedule their colorectal cancer screening, because increasing death rates for people who should be screened is very concerning," said Siegel, the study's lead author.
The Affordable Care Act required coverage of colorectal cancer screening tests, but patients still should check with their health insurance providers to determine coverage for colorectal cancer screening, which can range in cost.
Screenings can be performed using a fecal blood test, a stool DNA test, a sigmoidoscopy, a virtual colonoscopy or the standard colonoscopy, according to the National Cancer Institute, which also notes that other tests to screen for colorectal cancer are not generally recommended.
Jim Risk, a 51-year-old patient at the Cleveland Clinic who was not involved in the new study, agreed that the study's findings are a reminder for more adults to get screened and to pay attention to potential colorectal cancer symptoms, which include diarrhea, blood in the stool, cramping or bloating.
Risk was 40 when the Cleveland Clinic's Church diagnosed him with stage I rectal cancer.

'Had I ignored it ... I probably wouldn't be alive today'

About 10 years ago, Risk experienced rectal bleeding, and at first, he figured it was a result of a lingering hemorrhoid, he said.
Yet after he casually mentioned the bleeding to his primary care physician in an annual physical exam, Risk's doctor recommended that he get a colonoscopy to make sure the bleeding was nothing more serious.
So Risk visited the Cleveland Clinic's main campus, where "they pulled basically a golf-ball-sized polyp out of me," he said.

Screening for colon cancer

Screening for colon cancer 01:08
Colon polyps are growths of tissue on the lining of the colon and rectum, and some polyps can become cancerous. Risk's polyp was tested for cancer, and a week later, Church called him with the test results.
"He was sort of stumbling around with his words, and that's when I knew I had a problem," said Risk, who is now healthy after surgical treatment for the cancer.
"I was unbelievably blessed. I caught it very early, and had I ignored it another year, I probably wouldn't be alive today," he said. "You have to be a good steward of your own body, and when you feel that there's something going on, you're probably better off getting it checked out as early as possible."
Even in the new study, the researchers wrote that escalating mortality rates in young and middle-aged adults "highlight the need for earlier (colorectal cancer) detection" through age-appropriate screening and timely followups for symptoms.
Risk said, "I think I've had 11 colonoscopies in my life, and the prep work is horrible, but just go in and just do it and get it over with."
To reduce your risk of colon and rectal cancers, Siegel recommended maintaining a healthy body weight, staying physically active, avoiding drinking alcohol excessively and avoiding smoking.
Meanwhile, regular screening tests may find colorectal cancer early, when treatment is likely to be more effective.
Yet whether there should be changes in screening recommendations remains to be debated, Church said. Some colorectal cancer screening tests can come with risks or false positive results.
For instance, the risk in colonoscopies includes a possible reaction to sedatives or anesthesia, bleeding, perforation of the colon, pain in the abdomen or even an extremely rare risk of fatal complications, according to the National Institutes of Health.
Join the conversation

See the latest news and share your comments with CNN Health on Facebook and Twitter.

"The big question that we're struggling with is, as a society of doctors, should we screen people earlier? Is it worth it? And part of the big issue is, we don't know why there is this increased incidence of colon cancer in young people," Church said.
"We were taught in medical school that colon cancer is more common as you get older, and we didn't expect the rates going up," he said. "What we can do right now is pay attention to symptoms and pay attention to risk factors like family history, and by we, I mean largely primary health docs and patients."

Via The Angiogenesis Foundation

AUG. 3, 2017

IKEA Now Sells Solar Panels Kits in the UK

The household goods store proves their commitment to the environment yet again.

Avery Friedman
  •  
  •  
  •  

IKEA is back at it again. The Swedish-born home furnishing retailer is following in the footsteps of its mother country by stepping up to combat climate change.  

Adding to its catalogue of sleek and efficient home goods, the company is now selling solar panel kits and home batteries in the UK. The product comes with roof installation by Solarcentury, a solar power company, a 25-year guarantee, and a six-year warranty on installation. The battery storage can be used on the new panels or as additional power for existing solar panels as well.

Take Action: We Challenge You to join Our Week Long Action Challenge to Protect Our Environment

This may sound like a way to go green while saving some green; but the package is costly. The kit rings up at £6,925, or about $9,095.

IKEA predicts that the average British household with the solar panels will consume 40% of the energy that the solar panels create, with the remaining 60% getting sold back to the National Grid, an electric power transmission network that distributes energy throughout various European countries.

The batteries allow individual households to store solar electricity and use it at a later date, allowing homeowners to retain almost 80% solar usage. This retention would allow people to cut their electricity bill by 70% and pay off the IKEA kit’s lofty price in around 12 years.

Read More: This Room From Ikea Is Actually a Garden That Can Feed a Neighborhood

“We’re committed to helping homeowners reap the benefits of going solar and our business partnership with IKEA is a significant step forwards for the renewable energy industry," said Susannah Wood, head of residential solar at Solarcentury.  

"The cost of solar installations has dropped considerably in recent years and is in fact 100 times cheaper than it was 35 years ago. We believe IKEA and Solarcentury are bringing the most competitive package to the market yet, so more people than ever before can profit financially and environmentally by producing their own energy,” Wood said.

IKEA’s environmental innovation is in line with its Swedish origins. Only 1% of the country’s waste goes into landfills. Instead, Sweden converts 50% of their waste into energy and recycles the rest.

Read More: How Algae Could Help Sweden Entirely Eliminate Carbon Emissions

In 2016, The Swedes are also invested $546 million into to becoming the first fossil fuel-free nation by 2050.

This isn’t the first time IKEA has proved their commitment to climate control, either. The furniture retailer uses mushroom-based compostable packaging, and recently and cafeteria announced plans to halve its waste by 2020.

Avery is an Editorial Intern at Global Citizen. She attends the University of Michigan and writes for the music beat of the Michigan Daily. She lives to connect with people from all walks of life and believes in the power of narrative to change minds and expand perspective. Avery aims to live her life with empathy and intention.

Via Global Citizen

AUG. 8, 2017

The World Is Watching With Bated Breath as Kenya Takes to the Polls

1,100 people were killed in violence following the 2007 general election.

Imogen Calderwood
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leaders from Kenya and the international community have appealed for calm and unity as the country went to the polls for its general election today. 

Tension has been building in the days leading up to the election, with concerns over a repeat of the deadly violence of 10 years ago. 

More than 1,100 Kenyans died in rioting and 600,000 people were displaced after a 2007 election result that was disputed.

No one wants a repeat of the events that tipped the country into its worst crisis in decades. 

READ MORE: Another African Nation Just Promised Free Sanitary Pads to Help Girls Stay in School

Today’s election is primarily a race between current President Uhuru Kenyatta and his main rival Raila Odinga, who have been competing against each other for years and whose fathers were also political rivals in the 1960s. 

“To my competitors, as I have always said, in the event that they lose, let us accept the will of the people. I am willing, myself, to accept the will of the people,” said Kenyatta, as he voted in his hometown of Gatundu, north of Nairobi. 

“Let us pull this country together and let us move forward as one nation.” 

Take Action: Sign A Petition

1 point

Kenyans have been anxiously awaiting this election. Some have stockpiled food and water, according to the BBC , while police have prepared emergency first aid kits. 

Bus stations have also been busier than usual in major cities, according to the Guardian , as people leave for more provincial areas which are thought to be safer. 

Meanwhile, an estimated 180,000 police officers and members of other security forces have been deployed around Kenya. 

Fears increased last week, following news that a senior election official who played a key role in developing Kenya’s new electronic ballot and voter registration systems had been tortured and murdered.

READ MORE: These African Girls Invented an App to End FGM, Now They’re Bringing It to Google

Former US President Barack Obama, whose father was born in Kenya, has also called for calm. 

“In Kenya’s election we have already seen too much incitement and appeals based on fear from all sides,” he said. 

“But I also know that the Kenyan people as a whole will be the losers if there is a descent into violence. You can make clear that you will reject those that want to deal in tribal and ethnic hatred.”

He added: “The choices you make in the coming days can either set Kenya back or bring it together. As a friend of the Kenyan people, I urge you to work for a future defined not by fear and division, but by unity and hope.” 

READ MORE: 37 Iconic Photos to Celebrate President Obama’s Birthday

Queues formed at polling stations before dawn today, with some minor stampedes being reported. 

First results aren’t expected before Wednesday, but it could take three days for a winner to emerge, according to the BBC .

To win outright, a candidate needs more than 50% of the vote, and at least 25% in 24 of Kenya’s 47 counties. If no one achieves that, a runoff vote will be triggered, between the top two candidates. 

Imogen is content writer & editor at Global Citizen UK. A former global news journalist, Imogen has been flitting from Australia to Spain to India since graduating from the University of Warwick. She's also trying to read all the Booker Prize winners, so wish her luck because there are loads.

Via Global Citizen

GIRLS AND WOMEN

These 10 anti-woman laws will shock you

30 March 2017 3:02PM UTC | By: CLEA GUY-ALLEN

JOIN

Less than a month ago we celebrated International Women’s Day! This year’s theme was #BeBoldForChange and called on global citizens to advocate for a more equal, gender inclusive world.

Even though there are so many incredible people working towards a more equal, gender inclusive world, there are still plenty of places around the globe where women are not granted the same rights as men.

sexist-.jpgThe organisation Equality Now is dedicated to make discrimination against women history, and tracks laws – including the 10 listed below – that discriminate against women and works to help change laws and attitudes. These laws range from the absurd to the horrifying, from not allowing driving to legally permitting abuse in certain cases.

1. Women can be kidnapped

In Malta, if a man who abducts a woman intends to marry her, his sentence is automatically reduced. If the man marries his victim after the abduction, he is subsequently exempt from any and all prosecution and punishment. A similar law is in place in Lebanon, where a man who commits a rape or kidnapping cannot be prosecuted if he marries the victim after the crime.

2. Women are forbidden to drive

In countries such as Saudi Arabia, it is illegal for women to receive driver’s licenses. In 1990, a Fatwa on Women’s Driving Automobiles was declared, for fear that men and women would use cars for secret rendezvous and would tempt both parties into committing lewd behaviour.

21Umoja_Kenya_Modola_ONE.jpg

3. Women inherit less than their brothers

Different versions of this law exist in various countries. In Tunisia, women only inherit half of what their brothers do.

4. Men receive less punishment for “honour killings”

This law has come under intense fire in many different countries. In Egypt, a man who kills his wife upon discovering her in an act of adultery is automatically given a lesser sentence than for other forms of murder. In Syria, a man who murders his mother, sister, or wife due to catching them in an “illegitimate sexual act” can receive no more than seven years in prison. Until 2009, there were no legal ramifications for this crime in Syria.

Kangaroo_Mother_Care.41.jpg

5. A woman’s testimony counts for half of that of a man’s

In Iran, a woman’s testimony in court is less valuable than that of a man in cases such as adultery. In most of these cases, there must be testimony from at least double the amount of women as there are men. In cases where the punishment may be severe, a minimum of two men and four women must testify.

6. Husbands have more rights than their wives

In Israel, divorce depends solely on the will of the husband. Half a world away in Mali, a 2011 law upheld the man’s status as head of the household and mandates a wife’s obedience to him. It also declared that women must wait three months to get remarried after a divorce or death; men have no such restriction.

Kangaroo_Mother_Care.492.jpg7. Men can choose where women work

In countries such as Cameroon and Guinea, men have more of a say in where their wives will work than the women themselves. For example, in Cameroon, a husband may prohibit his wife from taking a job in a different trade or profession than him if it is in the best interest of his marriage and children. Cameroon is one of 18 countries where women cannot get a job if their husbands feel it is not in their family’s interest.

8. Women can be beaten

Unfortunately, laws such as this are not uncommon–in fact, 46 countries have no laws protecting women from domestic violence.

TTW_Cookstoves_101.jpg9. Women cannot perform physical labor

In China, women are forbidden from working in mines, and more broadly are prohibited from performing physical labor or work that female workers “should avoid.” In Russia, a similar law stops women from partaking in hard, dangerous, or unhealthy trades. This sweeping law includes many different types of jobs, from frontline firefighting to sailing – 456 types of work in total!

10. Women cannot pass on citizenship in the same way as men

Even in the United States, men and women are viewed differently under the law. A child born out of wedlock to a foreign mother and American father has a gruelling process to becoming an American citizen, and there are more requirements to meet if the mother is not a US citizen and the father is. At least 22 countries do not allow married women to pass citizenship to their children as fathers can and 44 countries do not allow married women to pass citizenship to their spouses as married men can.

For a complete list of anti-women laws by country, visit Equality Now’s website.

And to join the campaign for girl’s education, head to #GirlsCount.

Via ONE

HIV/AIDS

Two sides to every story: What the latest data on HIV/AIDS tells us

August 3 2017 | By: JENNY OTTENHOFF

JOIN

Depending on how you look at it, the new data on the HIV/AIDS epidemic can tell two very different stories.  On the one hand, the world has made huge progress against HIV/AIDS – for example, last year alone, more people were put on AIDS treatment than ever before.  On the other hand, there are still way too many people becoming infected with the disease and donor funding continued to fall.

Here are 10 things you should know — five that tell the good news story and five that shed light on the challenges we face. After checking out these facts, see the new infographic below (or see the PDF here) for a full view of the story these numbers tell.

Treatment

• For the first time ever, more than half of the people who need treatment for AIDS are getting it – that’s 19.5 million people accessing the treatment they need to live healthy and productive lives.
  • 17 million people living with HIV are still not accessing the treatment they need.

New infections

• Fewer people were infected with HIV last year than any other year since the UN started counting back in 1990.
  • Three people are infected with HIV every minute – that’s 1.8 million people globally last year alone. And young women account for two out of three new infections among young people in sub-Saharan Africa.

Funding

• The countries most affected by HIV are spending more fighting it than ever before,
  • Financing from donor governments is down for the second year in a row and total financing is far short – $7 billion short – of where it needs to be by 2020 to end AIDS for good.

What the future holds…

• Promising new prevention tools are in the pipeline – like an injectable drug for long-lasting HIV prevention and an HIV vaccine. While it will take time for these tools to be fully developed, tested, and deployed, their potential to dramatically speed up the response to HIV/AIDS is huge.
  • Any slowdown in the AIDS response now risks a resurgence of the disease as Africa’s population grows. The number of young people in sub-Saharan Africa is growing faster than any other region in the world, and this population is particularly susceptible to HIV.

So how does this story end?

The outcome rests squarely on the shoulders of today’s leaders. To accelerate our impact and ensure that every person can get the care and treatment they need, they must take action to close the resource gap, support innovation and strengthen health systems. Anything less could surrender the hard-earned gains of the past decade.

infographic_final.jpg

Via ONE

AUG. 8, 2017

Temperatures to Increase by 7.5°F by End of Century, US Scientists’ Report Warns

Expect more heat waves, powerful storms, and droughts.

Joe McCarthy

By Joe McCarthy

•  
  •  
  •  
ap_697397847490.jpgAP / Lynne Sladky

Climate change is no longer a distant problem in the day-to-day lives of ordinary Americans, according to a sweeping, yet-to-be-released report by 13 government agencies.

Since 1980, average temperatures have risen drastically in the United States  — between .29 and .46 degrees Fahrenheit per decade — causing extreme weather events such as heat waves, powerful storms, and droughts to happen with greater frequency.

In Texas, for example, climate change has made extreme weather events 20 times more likely.

For Americans in Alaska, Miami, and other coastal areas, climate change has been felt for years now.

Read More: How a Tiny Alaska Town Is Leading the Way on Climate Change

“Evidence for a changing climate abounds, from the top of the atmosphere to the depths of the oceans,” a draft of the report, first reported by The New York Times.

“Many lines of evidence demonstrate that human activities, especially emissions of greenhouse (heat-trapping) gases, are primarily responsible for recent observed climate change,” the report continues.

The report is waiting final approval by the Trump administration, but advance copies have been reviewed by some news organizations. Authors of the report, who essentially comprise an all-star team of climate scientists, have also anonymously given interviews on the report’s findings. The National Academy of the Sciences has signed off on the report, and the Trump administration must make a decision by Aug. 18.

Take Action: Tweet Now

1 point

One of the central findings of the assessment is that even if human emissions were to cease today, the world would still experience a .5 degree Fahrenheit (.3 degree Celsius) increase in temperatures from today’s levels before the end of the century.

Current projections, meanwhile, suggest that the world will experience at least an additional 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) increase from today.

Such an increase would cause the world to blow past the ceiling set by the Paris climate agreement, a 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (2 degrees Celsius) from pre-industrial levels, beyond which catastrophic changes are expected.

Parts of the US will see temperature increases of up to 7.5 degrees Fahrenheit from pre-industrial levels (4.8 degrees Celsius).

Among other events, this would cause sea levels to significantly rise, displacing millions of people, coral reefs to disintegrate, unprecedented heat waves and droughts, and tropical storms to become more common.   

Read More: There Could Be 2 Billion Climate Change Refugees by 2100

The authors of the report argue that the ability to link weather events to climate change has improved significantly since the last climate assessment was made by the government in 2014.

They also suggest that such clarity should prompt global action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Some of the report’s authors worry that the review could be suppressed by the Trump administration, which has shown consistent skepticism of climate science.

For example, the Environmental Protection Agency has to approve of the report, and it’s currently directed by an outspoken climate change skeptic, Scott Pruitt.

Either way, the report is now fully available for the public to read online and the scientists who participated in the report will continue to study the subject and advocate for action.

Joe McCarthy is a Content Creator at Global Citizen. He believes apathy is the biggest threat to creating a more just world and tries his hardest to stay open-minded and curious. Living in New York keeps him aware of how interconnected our world is, how every action has ripples.

Via Global Citizen

Skip to content

CULTURE

The Maasai brand is valuable — and it should belong to the Maasai people

28 July 2017 5:18PM UTC | By: GUEST BLOGGER

JOIN

By Meg Brindle, Light Years IP

I was at a conference in Kenya when I first met a member of the Maasai, a group of people who live in East Africa. He had a question for me – and the answers could have the potential to dramatically impact poverty for millions of low-income farmers, producers and others.

You’d recognise the Maasai from photos. Many are tall, elegant and very distinctively dressed. Often, when a generic image is used of Africans in photos or advertising, it’s of Maasai. Their designs and style get used by others – but the Maasai don’t earn a penny.

That’s not right. It’s cultural appropriation – but it’s also bad business. Increasingly, the things that make products valuable aren’t the ingredients that go into them – it’s the intangible things, including the brands. And companies are careful to look out for their brands, spending millions to protect and defend them.

Think about Coca-Cola or Apple. Their products are more than sugar, fruit juice, and water, or metal and plastic, chips and screen. Their brand value is much greater than the value of the physical resources. That’s because of the ideas, imagination, and presentation that come together in great products: what business calls “intellectual property (IP).”

So what does this mean for a semi-nomadic tribe of nearly 2 million across Tanzania and Kenya?

We’d been working with Ethiopian Fine Coffee to help them own their own brands and license them. We’d helped return $101 million to coffee exporters.

That’s when I met the Maasai elder. He tapped me on the shoulder and said: “ We understand that IP works for coffee. The Maasai have a brand that is used by many western companies without our permission. Can you help us?”

Maasai_FB-1024x512.jpg

A group of Maasai people. (Photo credit: joxeankoret/Wikimedia Commons)

We engaged Maasai University students in researching the dozens of companies using the Maasai name, image and brand without their permission. Our friends at Comic Relief were kind enough to help fund the feasibility study. Brand expert David Cardwell who did the Star Wars licensing deal helped. Our goal was to let the Maasai run the process with some good advice from others. To them, respect and removal of culturally inappropriate images are as important as income.

For six years, we have been about helping the Maasai to organize and form MIPI -The Maasai IP Initiative. With outreach across Kenya and Tanzania and radio broadcasts, materials translated to Maa and Swahili, Light Years IP and the Maasai have reached 500,000 Maasai — a critical mass to own, control, license and where relevant, to create solutions with large companies that had used their brand name. One big car company, for example, returned the Maasai trademark and negotiations are underway with Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy.

In 2012, a Louis Vuitton fashion show featured Maasai scarves and shirts modelled and sold for upwards of 1,000 euros each. Of course, the LVMH brand is valued highly and IP and brand experts can help us to quantify what portion is due to cultural appropriation of the Maasai iconic values of bravery, strength, and warrior images.

The Maasai are a proud people — respectful and honourable. The Maasai leadership has been offended at the cultural misappropriation of their brand and name. They understand that it is valuable – and it’s theirs. Our analysis shows it is worth about $250 million.

Maasai elder, Isaac ole Tialalo, leader of MIPI has been to Capitol Hill and to Parliament in London with The African IP Trust, headed by Lord Paul Boating. It’s an honour for our support and advocacy group to help the Maasai achieve win-win situations with companies.

We think that the Maasai are an inspiration and model to other indigenous people who are about 6% of the world’s population and suffer both cultural appropriation and poverty. The Cherokee, Navajo, and Tourag, for example, add value to countless products and companies. It is not easy to regain control after cultural appropriation, but we think it is the right thing to do.

Find out more about the Maasai here.

Name
Email
Post/zip code
Country         Select country Afghanistan Åland Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Bouvet Island Brazil British Indian Ocean Territory British Virgin Islands Brunei Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Christmas Island Cocos Islands Colombia Comoros Cook Islands Costa Rica Côte d'Ivoire Country of Sint Maarten Croatia Cuba Curaçao Cyprus Czech Republic Democratic Republic of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands Faroe Islands Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia French Southern Territories Gabon Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guernsey Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Isle of Man Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jersey Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Kosovo Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montenegro Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Myanmar Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norfolk Island North Korea Northern Mariana Islands Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Palestine Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Pitcairn Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Republic of the Congo Reunion Romania Russia Rwanda Saint Barthélemy Saint Helena Saint Kitts and Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Martin Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Samoa San Marino São Tomé and Príncipe Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa South Korea South Sudan Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Timor-Leste Togo Tokelau Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu U.S. Virgin Islands Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City Venezuela Vietnam Wallis and Futuna Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe       

SHARE ON FACEBOOK
 SAVE FOR LATER
 SHARE ON TWITTER

AUTHOR

GUEST BLOGGER
28 July 2017 5:18PM UTC