jenmusic

Have to Count - the new and improved one :P

39685 A Formula 1 race in a place like Azerbaijan is a bit funny really

43 minutes ago, Malahide said:

39685 A Formula 1 race in a place like Azerbaijan is a bit funny really

39, 686 - It's not somewhere you'd immediately think of - but it's a country with a lot of oil money - which clearly plays a part. 

Whether it stays on the calendar long-term is another matter... although races like yesterday won't hurt.

11 hours ago, Frankaz said:

39 687 Is it still on free TV? It seems to change channel every year now.

:Arch:

39, 688 - It's on free-to-air TV at the moment on Channel 4 - but from 2019, I believe it's going totally over to Sky :angry:

Personally I hope that can be stopped because I hate the way that Sky (and BT) are buying up all the live sport and effectively trying to blackmail fans into paying for their services to watch our favourite sports. I've watched F1 all my life - literally since I was about 3 - and I cannot afford to pay £50 a month for TV services (nor would I *want* to pay anything to Murdoch and his lot). 

Equally, through the F1 Fan Surveys in the last couple of years, we have made it very clear to the sport's organisers that the switch to Pay TV is losing them viewers and fans - hopefully they are taking that on board and might do something about this new TV deal. How can a sport attract new followers if it's on TV channels that no-one can afford to watch?  

39 689 Yeah I don't like the pay wall that all sports are going behind. It's done a lot of damage to Cricket's popularity - in 2005 everybody was playing and knew who the top players were... now no-one plays cricket and the top players are unknown as people can't watch it.

39 691 I hope so. You'd think at a time when most people really can't afford extra costs they'd stop trying to get even more money...

39692 I'm surprised, but apparently there are 21 cricket clubs in my country

Edited by Malahide