Have to Count - the new and improved one :P

jenmusic

• Subscriber

46, 656 - Agreed @Malahide It was a ridiculous, greedy idea. And the club owners are apologising. I can only hope they genuinely mean it. 

I think part of the problem is the owners of some of the clubs (e.g Liverpool, Manchester United) are Americans who don't understand the traditions of European football. A closed, invitation-only league would be boring - and they'd be keeping the money to themselves as well. That's not how we do things. We want our leagues to be fair and open to whoever is good enough to get promoted into them. Look at how exciting it was when Leicester won the Premier League, or the shock of seeing Atalanta get into the Champions League. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber

46, 657

Agreed on the Super League too. That was a bad idea. Having said that, let me add that I wouldn’t be too hasty blaming the Americans exclusively for this silly idea: the last teams who haven’t withdrawn from the league are from Spain and Italy, and none of those teams are owned by Americans. Enough said.

Let’s keep things as they are; everything is working, and everyone is making (too much) money.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, dmway said:

46, 657

Agreed on the Super League too. That was a bad idea. Having said that, let me add that I wouldn’t be too hasty blaming the Americans exclusively for this silly idea: the last teams who haven’t withdrawn from the league are from Spain and Italy, and none of those teams are owned by Americans. Enough said.

46, 658 - The two Spanish teams are both apparently around 1bn euro in debt - which is probably why they're clinging to such a potentially lucrative project.

Although the Real Madrid president really needs to stop talking now - he's embarrassing himself with his insistence that it will still happen - and his entitled attitude that it "must happen" because his club "need" the money to make their planned summer signings. He clearly hasn't grasped the concept that sometimes plans change, especially when a pandemic means you're short of money :rolleyes: 

I know that Haaland kid is good, but I'm not sure it's worth breaking Europe's entire league system to sign him!

And if Real are staying in, then Barcelona will. Given the rivalry between those two, neither wants to let the other potentially get in alone on something that could help the financial situation. 

I don't know what the accounts are like at Juventus these days, but I'm guessing they wouldn't turn down the chance to earn stupid amounts either. 

• Subscriber

46659 Talking about money. The wages of top players are also without the super league immense. Kevin De Bruyne, the captain of Manchester City

and the Belgian national football team, has signed a new contract with his club. The next four years he will earn 450.000 euro gross every week. He is 

the highest paid footbal player in the premier league.

• Subscriber

46, 660 - That is an astonishing amount of money @Malahide It would take most people in normal jobs 10-20 years to earn that much :wacko:

I went out shopping earlier today and saw a large fire near the motorway that runs through my town :o The fire is in an industrial building near the road, and the smoke was so thick, they may have had to shut the road for a while due to visibility/safety issues. There is also advice to keep windows and doors shut due to concerns about the smoke.

I just hope no-one was hurt. It started a couple of hours ago, around lunchtime, so hopefully people may have gone out of the building to have their lunch. 

• Subscriber

46, 661 - Friday counting.

Thankfully no-one was hurt in the fire, although it's caused some local roads and local schools to be closed all week due to issues with the building being unsafe and concerns over pollutants in the smoke. In the case of the schools, they were not able to open windows and ventilate the classrooms properly, which is required at the moment as a Covid precaution.

In happier news, I achieved my goal of writing 30,000 words this month :) Although the story still isn't finished yet. I thought it would be, but my characters have had other ideas :rolleyes:

• Subscriber

46,663 - May the 4th be with you, Beck! Ooh look, there's a 66 in the number I just put...speaking of which, watched The Bad Batch premiere on Disney+ this morning. That was, in the words of a very important returning character, quite an impressive display.

• Like 1

• Subscriber

46, 664 - I only watched through the sequel trilogy this year. There are now so many films, it's impossible to fit all 11 live-action ones in one day - unless you start at about 2am :lol: 

Glad you enjoyed Bad Batch. I don't have Disney+. I'm hoping they will make Mandalorian etc available on disc at some point for those of us who either can't afford subscription services or can't access them due to location. Plus, I like having physical discs - especially with something like SW, where you can have a whole chronological display of them all.