Sign in to follow this  
mike7man

Yet another Credit Card Entry Question/Problem (?)

My wife and I each (buying separately, using our own distinct presale codes and TM accounts, and different credit card accounts) were lucky enough to get 2 RZ tix each for Chicago Sunday 6/4 (we're going with another couple).  My question concerns my wife's order.  Ticketmaster's Credit Card Entry (CCE)/RZ instructions basically say that to pick up RZ tix requires presenting a photo ID and "matching" credit card.  Here's the deal:  We realized after she purchased her tix that our joint CC account (for which we both have cards), even though it's a joint account, ends in two different numbers (the final two digits) for "her" card and "my" card.  I'd never seen this before; in the past whenever we've had a joint account, the CC account numbers on the two cards were always identical.  Anyway, we'd previously set up her TM account not realizing this, and for payment listed "my" [joint] CC number (thinking it would be the same as hers).

So--here's my worry/question: For her RZ tickets, the ticket people at the venue will see that my name is on the purchasing card--and hence might (?) object that her picture ID and the name on the purchasing card do not "match".   I could respond that it's actually a joint account (which is why, among other things, the TM transaction went through in the first place), and I've even gotten a letter from my credit union explaining that this really is a joint account--and hence does actually "match" her as a purchaser, despite her name not being physically on the card with the CC number used to actually buy the tix.  I myself will also be there with her to explain/show "my" card, etc., of course.  Nonetheless, I have nightmares that the ticket window folks won't understand this.  After all, I myself never knew before that joint CC cards could end in different numbers.

So mods/anyone--any thoughts?  It occurs to me that there's a simpler scenario that, if it's OK, ours would surely be as well.  Namely, what if one uses someone else's credit card to buy tix on one's own TM account (like a card from a parent or friend or whatever).  If the owner of the purchasing credit card is also there at the show, is this OK? (Even though the picture ID and CC name won't match in this situation either).  If it is, then that's it, I don't need to worry.  If not, then I've got to rely on somehow convincing the ticket window folks that "my" card is actually a joint card legitimately associated with my wife.

Sorry for the long post--it's tough to describe this situation succinctly.

Edited by mike7man

It's an issue you need to elevate to Ticketmaster... probably not via email/their website but a lengthy phone call...

Thanks, Max.  Yeah, I should definitely call TM to be sure.  Anyone else have thoughts?  What about the simpler scenario I mention?  (although in my/my wife's case, it actually is a joint CC account).

I have a similar issue. I plan on calling my credit card company to have a 2nd card sent to me (telling them that the magnetic strip is bad or something like that). From what I've read in the forums, the ID checking isn't always enforced.

It is highly unlikely this will come up. When they are scanning cards in at these events, they almost never check IDs or look at names. They scan the card, the tickets print out of their little machine, and you go in... There are tens of thousands of people trying to get in around the same time, they aren't going to look at IDs. 

Mike, I'm sure this won't be an issue. No, I've not experienced exactly the same scenario but you will be with your wife and you could, if necessary both show your credit cards, proof of address, etc. This is just to stop scammers, It's not going to look like you are a scammer if you are both physically there, both with Id and both with a credit card of which one matches the card used to pay. I personally would not worry about this but I'm sure a call to ticket master would put your mind at rest.

It is highly unlikely this will come up. When they are scanning cards in at these events, they almost never check IDs or look at names. They scan the card, the tickets print out of their little machine, and you go in... There are tens of thousands of people trying to get in around the same time, they aren't going to look at IDs. 

For regular GA, yeah.  For RZ, my main worry, I think they will check IDs.

Thanks for your thoughts/advice, everyone.  I called VIP TM and they simply allowed me to add my name as pickup up my wife's order, so (thank God) the RZ situation is settled.  I potentially have the same issue with our Cleveland GAs, but like Jeff says, they basically never check IDs for those--only credit cards.  Just to be thorough, I emailed TM support and asked for a response explicitly "clearing" us.  I'll keep everyone posted, and good luck in your own situations!

Thanks for your thoughts/advice, everyone.  I called VIP TM and they simply allowed me to add my name as pickup up my wife's order, so (thank God) the RZ situation is settled.  I potentially have the same issue with our Cleveland GAs, but like Jeff says, they basically never check IDs for those--only credit cards.  Just to be thorough, I emailed TM support and asked for a response explicitly "clearing" us.  I'll keep everyone posted, and good luck in your own situations!

I'm interested in whatever response you get as well, because I have a similar situation.  I used a credit card for my wife and son to use, and called TicketMaster since my name is on the card - not hers.  I pointed out to them on the phone that I could definitely add her to my credit account and she would have a card - but it would not be the card I used.

Their response was:  "It's fine, she can just bring the card you used for the order and it will be OK".  

I further clarified that I would NOT be there - and she would be using a card with my name on it - and they said, "It's OK - it doesn't matter."

Good to hear your info on this.  I called TM on the GA situation, and they said don't worry, just show your (i.e., my) card.  The email response I got (from TM) wasn't super-helpful, unfortunately--the person who responded to my email didn't really understand what I was asking.  However, even so, in the TM response it was clear that as long as I was there (with my card) that everything would be fine (TM also advised bringing the order receipt--accessible on TM).  From your post above, however, it sounds like you were told that as long as your wife has your card, you'll be OK.  Bottom line, looks like it'll work out.