Bringing pregnant woman for GA suggestions

• Subscriber

My friend is due like July 12 but a huge u2 fan I got her tix to this... But she can't stand or be too close to speakers. Can she bring a chair and do you guys think she'd be okay as far as speakers go? Apparently they can affect the baby. Any input hugely appreciated 

Edited by pizzaguitar

• Community Moderator
33 minutes ago, pizzaguitar said:

My friend is due like July 12 but a huge u2 fan I got her tix to this... But she can't stand or be too close to speakers. Can she bring a chair and do you guys think she'd be okay as far as speakers go? Apparently they can affect the baby. Any input hugely appreciated 

If she has a GA ticket, it's very unlikely she will be allowed to bring a chair...

The best course of action would be to contact the venue and check what options exist... probably with the mind frame that her health and well being as well as the baby are the priorities here...

• Subscriber

As Max said, contacting the venue directly and in advance is the best move.  Frankly, you probably should have done it already.  With normal business hours for the week over, there may not be someone there now who can assist you.

In the past, not specifically at U2 shows, when I've purchased general admission tickets and then had a reason why those wouldn't work (for instance, my friend broke his leg after we bought tickets and couldn't stand), the venue has done their best to work with me.  The show is sold out, and with different seats having different price scales than standing room, they probably can't just give you seats for your GA.  But if you were able to find someone who decision-making authority, they might be able to relocate you to a handicapped section with folding chairs.

It's extremely unlikely they would allow you to bring furniture onto the floor; the potential for misuse and injury is too great for the venue to allow it.  I'm sure you weren't planning on using the chair as a weapon, but the fact that a folding chair could be picked up and thrown, or used to beat someone, is probably enough to make the security guards and their supervisors not able to budge on that.

If all else fails, your best bet is probably to stand at the rear of the floor, near the entrance/exits.  Everyone else will be trying to stand closer, so it's less likely that you'd be accidentally pushed or squished.  Though there are usually additional speakers in the rear, in general, it's probably less loud than right in front of the main stage. 

As far as the sound being dangerous for the baby, it would be best for your friend to speak directly to her doctor about any potential risks or hazards.  I don't feel comfortable offering an opinion, as I am not a medical professional.