Sign in to follow this  
Sherry

FINE PRINT of Verified Fan Presale

7 minutes ago, petergoode said:

As someone who also was verified in the "Experience" group after many years of u2.com membership, I appreciate the posts on this thread.  At the least, it should have been made completely clear that the "Verified" status was going to lead to a lottery.   Secondly, it was a terrible mode of doing business to send an initial email Monday at 10 pm indicating a code would follow and then two hours later receive the second email which basically said "never mind" without any explanation whatsoever.

The final point is the nauseating finding of many tickets already showing up at extraordinarily high prices on the secondary sales sites.  Obviously the attempt to use a "Verified" system to separate true fans from entrepreneurs was unsuccessful.  

Well, if I don't see a show, I will live, there are bigger problems in life.  However, I share the sense of true disappointment in terms of how this was handled start to finish, a poor reflection on the group.  If they are aware of the problem, it certainly would have been good PR to at least have sort of reference to it at u2.com, aside from the forums.

They will never accept they made any mistake. Neither they officially compensate. (And I do not mean option to return money for membership, though.) I believe whole thing is presented to the group as big success.

1 minute ago, CorkVegan said:

I agree. The 360 deal with Livenation has been good for the band but bad for the fans.

Fingers crossed that when the contract runs out U2 don't resign.

I worry that they will, or if they don't, they'll come up with something worse.

Switching Paul McGuinness for Guy Oseary says to me that the band, from a business perspective, is interested in maximizing revenue as a top priority.  Look at Oseary's other client: Madonna.  Madonna is someone who maximizes every revenue stream, from concert tickets priced at obscene levels before it was popular to do so, to other merchandising and "VIP" programs.  You don't hire Guy Oseary if you want to have a good relationshop with your fans and provide a quality show at a reasonable price.  You hire Pearl Jam's guys if you want that.  You hire Guy Oseary if you want to extract every last cent from a fan base.

On the other hand, what's essentially LiveNation's monopoly in major tours was gotten by paying above market value for each of the acts they got.  U2 now just gets a flat rate for their work, and it's an extraordinarily high number.  The only way for LiveNation to have a chance at recouping that investment is to set prices at extraordinarily high levels.  On the last tour before LiveNation ran the band, the cheapest ticket was $50 and the most expensive ticket was $150, and the floor tickets were at the cheapest price level.  On the next tour, where LiveNation ran the ticket sales but Paul McGuinness still managed, which was a mere four years later, the top price went to $250, the floor tickets jumped to $75, but the cheapest ticket was $30.  So, prices actually came down for the worst sections, and there were affordable opportunities.  Four years after that tour, the next one begins, this time without McGuiness, and the $30 tickets are gone, and the top ticket has jumped to $300.  Two years after that tour, it's now almost $350.  This is far above what inflation has done in the same period.

I'd love to see some sort of an indication that the band actually care, but it's hard to find one.  I say this as a long time fan who has seen every tour over the past twenty years.  I think U2 made a decision that they don't want to be involved in the day-to-day business anymore, and don't really care about the details of where the money comes from or how they get it.  I think they are so far removed from the actual process that they have no idea it's not running smoothly like it used to.  But I also think it's their responsibility to be aware of how business is being conducted in their name, and I think this has been a huge failing and a huge blemish on what had been an extraordinary career.

• Like 3

Thanks Sherry for posting, this is pretty much what I've been thinking.  The algorithm is flawed and is shutting out real fans by flagging them as "scalpers" essentially.  I'm not sure I'd call it a lottery though in the sense that people were truly randomly chosen; it seems to be based on the stupid algorithm for filtering out scalpers, and clearly the whole system is messed up. 

Kudos to the Mods, I'm sure they're trying their hardest to help people with this fiasco.  Not an envious job right now!

Sherry - thank you for posting.  It is sad that it has come to this and my guess is there will be MORE tickets on the secondary market than ever before and we will pay... because that is what we do. 

I challenge you Sherry - and the other folks at AT U2 to do something.  I know you love your access and do not want to rock the boat - but someone needs to be covering this (this brilliant post is not up on that site) 

Politics be damned - please get a petition or SOMETHING going on a fan site that the band will pay attention to.  Like it or not, that is At U2. 

If you do it the band might not show up at your next party... but what the hell is the point of the site if not to help fans reach the band?

Edited by dugadams

1 hour ago, CorkVegan said:

To be fair the mods are just passing on the information that they are given.

Bigwave and his colleagues get my thumbs up.

You can only work with the information given. Many people were given misinformation - that's why there's so many of us trying to figure it all out. I don't believe that TM/Live Nation was transparent with U2.com or the fanclub representatives what it all means. Remember - this is the 1st time U2's gone Verified Fan route...for the whole tour! It's possible that you don't know what you don't know, and the right questions weren't asked until it was too  late. We're all in this experiment together.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dugadams said:

Sherry - thank you for posting.  It is sad that it has come to this and my guess is there will be MORE tickets on the secondary market than ever before and we will pay... because that is what we do. 

I challenge you Sherry - and the other folks at AT U2 to do something.  I know you love your access and do not want to rock the boat - but someone needs to be covering this (this brilliant post is not up on that site) 

Politics be damned - please get a petition or SOMETHING going on a fan site that the band will pay attention to.  Like it or not, that is At U2. 

If you do it the band might not show up at your next party... but what the hell is the point of the site if not to help fans reach the band?

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. We can't fix what has happened, but we're working hard to find an amenable agreement about it. The band's PR is notified, and we're doing what we can. There's nothing we can report on right now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sherry said:

We are doing something right now - we're doing our best to get up the chain of command with as many fan stories, as many examples and the like to let them know this is as bad - or worse - than 2005. We can't fix what has happened, but we're working hard to find an amenable agreement about it. The band's PR is notified, and we're doing what we can. There's nothing we can report on right now.

THANKS SO MUCH! Sherry.  And us Fans need to keep hitting them via social media and any other means possible.

• Like 1

With respect... U2.com is a product managed by LiveNation.  Ticketmaster is owned by LiveNation.  These aren't separate entities.  So there's really no excuse for any of this, and I'm not really satisfied with the answer that so-and-so from this company didn't understand what so-and-so from that company meant.  LiveNation offered U2 a fortune to buy their fanclub and touring business, and U2 accepted.  This puts the responsibility jointly on both parties.

The quality of customer service went down significantly when LiveNation took over, and following Guy Oseary taking over for Paul McGuinness, the band and their management are no longer accessible or answerable to fans.

I am disappointed as well. I was part of the Innocence group and had 3 devices positioned to ticketmaster at 10:00 a.m. The Innocence Group did not open up until at least 10:06 a.m., and there were no GA seats available. The seats that are farthest away are priced at $330! I can't afford this. As a long time fan, fan club member and consumer of U2, this is hard to swallow.

I got two tickets for the San Jose show yesterday with absolutely no problems, and it makes me feel bad for those who did not.  I thought renew, link, and accept SMS messages and you were "go to go".  Realizing now that it was a lottery system in place makes me feel like I"m in bed with the devil.  I sincerely hope as dates and legs get added to this tour that maybe the band can scrap this Verified Fan thing and go back to the previous system, which may not have been perfect, but certainly didn't discriminate among the fans.  Scalping will always be a part of ticket buying there is no way it can't be.  That industry needs it and vice versa. Hopefully U2 fans that have been denied will get restitution.