Sign in to follow this  
DeirdreBell

FAN PRESALE CODES DONE - not good for any more purchases

I was just told by the U2.com help line that any unused INNOCENCE or EXPERIENCE presale codes are basically worthless now.  They will not work on Monday for the General Sale.  And also, they will not work if they add more shows!  (That's what she said.)  So if you're like me, and only bought one ticket using the fan code, thinking you'd save the other ticket to try for an additional show, it will not work that way.  She said I will have to register again for a new sale, possibly get a code, and then i will have the opportunity to buy one more ticket.  (They keep track of how many you've bought.)  So if you were thinking your unused fan code would work in the general, it will not.  But you have until 10pm EST tomorrow night (Saturday 11/18) to register for the General Presale.   

The rule before was unused allocation is transferable during a tour. Hope they are not svrewibg us with that too. I expect presales for additional dates.

Unused presale codes have always been good for added shows on the same tour--and should be now.  If they're not, that would be hugely unfair, and there will be even more of a fan revolt.

1 hour ago, DeirdreBell said:

But you have until 10pm EST tomorrow night (Saturday 11/18) to register for the General Presale.   

To be clear, the general presale isn't a presale - it's the regular sale.  There will be no tickets sold on Ticketmaster for this tour without codes, so everyone hoping to go to a show has to register for the lottery and hope that they are selected to have an opportunity to purchase tickets.

3 minutes ago, vertigojds said:

To be clear, the general presale isn't a presale - it's the regular sale.  

Oops, that's what I meant.  I've got presale on the brain.  And to be even more clear, there will be no tickets sold on this tour without codes for the SPECIFIC portion of the sale that's taking place. 

• Like 1

I am huge U2 fan but I hope they don't sell the majority of the 350 dollar seats and play to half full arenas.

Teach them a lesson. Them being promoters or band or TM. whoever set prices don't really care. They need a slap in the face.

I also hope a lot of fans disown them after thjs. They deserve it.

Edited by alanelise
  • Like 1

True. However, the fan club presale allocation remains the same. Irregardless of codes. With this system you’ll have to register & “apply” to be a fan & get a new code. 

Note, if you’re hoping to participate in the general sale, you need to apply for that too...

I did get a code but didn’t participate in the presale. I’m holding out for different cities. Among other things...

I was in the Vertigo fiasco & was shut out, believe me I have sympathy. I understand anger & frustration. I don’t really have anything further to say then I get it. 

1 hour ago, alanelise said:

I am huge U2 fan but I hope they don't sell the majority of the 350 dollar seats and play to half full arenas.

Teach them a lesson. Them being promoters or band or TM. whoever set prices don't really care. They need a slap in the face.

I also hope a lot of fans disown them after thjs. They deserve it.

It could happen.

As an example: my wife is a huge fan of Maroon 5, and I usually surprise her with a pair of tickets whenever they're going to be in town.  They don't do a cheap show, but in the past, it's topped out around $150 a ticket, maybe $175.  I live in New York City, and the shows I've seen at Madison Square Garden have always sold out the morning they went on sale - usually in minutes.  They just put their tickets onsale for their next tour, and the prices have jumped big time from the past.  For this new tour, all floor seats are $200 or more.  All lower level seats are $200 or more.  The first 10-15 rows of the upper deck are $150 (with some prime upper deck seats going for over $200), and then the next 5-10 rows of the upper deck are $100.  The last couple rows of some upper deck sections were priced at $80.

For the first time in as long as I've been going to Maroon 5 with my wife, the shows didn't sell out in advance.  I actually didn't buy tickets - when my wife saw the prices, she said that she'd be angry if we wasted our money spending $150 for the upper deck.  Not wanting to die a premature death, I deferred to her wishes, but I was genuinely shocked at the prices.  Even more surprising - for the first time for a major act, I was seeing tons of unsold tickets.  A lot of the floor was sold, but there were still plenty of floor tickets available.  The best lower level seats were taken, but there were still plenty available.  It looked like most of the upper level $150 and $100 tickets hadn't even been touched - I could've been front row for almost any upper level section.  The only tickets that were actually "sold out" were the $80 ones.  It's really weird looking at the Ticketmaster interactive seating chart and seeing a whole sea of blue dots throughout the venue, except for the very worst seats.  It's the same for both concerts.  Between both shows, there's probably one near sell-out.  Now, the concerts are next October, so maybe they'll drop the prices quietly to encourage a sell-out, or maybe they'll cancel one and encourage the other people to buy for the non-canceled night.  I can't imagine that Maroon 5 takes the stage with more than half the seats being empty.  But they probably have a similar deal where they're getting paid by the promoter regardless of the sales, so maybe they don't care.  I think the lack of sales has nothing to do with demand and everything to do with price.

Then again, Pink is charging even higher prices - $200 or more for most upper levels, and also an extra premium charge for aisle seats - and her show is completely sold out.

So who knows what'll happen?  The band announced less cities per show this time around, and there's less room in the schedule for added dates, so maybe they figured demand would be reduced with these prices and were okay with that trade-off.

I hope that fans with unused codes will be able to use them on future dates as they have been able in the past (for the same leg anyway).

Regarding ticket prices - bands make albums which aren't cheap and CDs have gone with the way of the dodo, people want to stream for cheap or outright steal your art. How are they supposed to make money if not shows and merch when a full album of music is now just a marketing tool to get people to come out to see you play? I don't really want to get into an argument about this, mostly because no one wants to hear that what I just said is reality, but I can't really fault any artist who's tickets prices have gone up - this is the only avenue they have anymore.

the damn codes better be good for future shows!  some of us didn't receive our experience codes until AFTER the innocence presales had all started, and nothing but overpriced garbage left.  i wouldn't put a lot of stock in what the customer service reps say anyways.  it seems the ticketmaster and u2.com reps were never on the same page with how this whole fan presale process worked.  always different answers from different reps.

• Like 1