This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

• Subscriber

I've been trying to tie what Bono said about going from innocence to experience...losing one while gaining another...getting some back again....I've been trying to tie this into my life.  I finally found it all linked. I want to mention it:  Whoopi Goldberg introduces Looney Tunes' DVD sets.  She speaks of the racism contained in them. She mentions one's need to to put these cartoons into their proper time and place.  She clearly states they are no longer intended for childrens' viewing.  They are for adults..

I loved Looney Tunes, as a child.  They became racist.  It took a while,  however; Whoopi Goldberg's introduction to the box sets gave me the ability to watch them as I did when I was a child.  It's all good again.

It's a life long IE and EI for me.  This tour is amazing.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know),

Lifelong fan and I can’t stop with the new songs. All of them are very solid. Blackout is fantastic so is Get out of your own way  into American Soul. Put in the amazing The Little Things That Give Yo

Any honest opinion is obviously legitimate , but one aspect of this album which I think is undeniable, is that it is an incredibly thoughtful album. It's incredibly honest, nuanced in some metaph

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I'm finally watching the EI show again.  It's the multicam show from San Jose.  I had never seen much of the visuals as I was watching them play.  I never saw the intermission because I need to pee for both shows in Chicago.  The intermission-where the quote says, 'Deaf to advice, our lads seek further wisdom', is quite funny.  It's also humble but cocky.  I love it.  Everyone else probably saw it.  I did not.  It came at a much needed time.  I'm probably screwing up the quote so pardon me.  Time to go back to the second half and scream of a mole digging in a hole.

It's definitive-this is my favorite U2 tour.  It's extremely well written, imho.    Yow.   Excavation!

• Subscriber

Listened to SOE for the first time in a while last night. For some reason even the tracks from the album I wasn't keen on (The Best Thing, RFD, Showman) have gone up in my estimation; I found myself singing along to every single song on the album. And obviously The Little Things is still a diamond. 

Also, has anyone seen the rehearsal setlist from last night in Berlin? There's a couple of particular things about it that are very interesting.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber

This is certainly a life changing music for me. I can't really explain why. I'm kind of having the SOI experience with looking back on my life, kind of a present future trajectory with SOE. 

In general ...like maybe an emotional rollercoaster can be fun..

• Like 1

Listening to the San Jose concert I really liked "American Soul". I already liked it before on the cd, but this is one of those songs that seems to gain a lot of strength when it's played live. Americans do seem to like it too, because it seems to be played often during football games, so I have heard. I think it is a worthy replacement of "Bullet the Blue Sky".  When looking at the San Jose youtube video I could even see the U2 crew behind the computer screens swinging to "American Soul" as well. I think the use of the big American flag is a powerful symbol, more powerful than the video images. U2 is using the European flag in Germany and I guess in the rest of the European tour as well. "Let there be unity" as quoted from "American Soul", that must be the idea behind the flags right?  Why not start waving white flags again?  I would prefer that above looking at an european flag which only symbolises economic unity and not people's hearts and minds.  Bono got critized a lot back in the eighties for waving white flags. Although it were just journalists who objected for whatever reason. I didnt hear any journalists complaining though these days and even during the Joshua Tree tour 2017 when U2 uses even bigger flags that arent white. I like to think of a white flag as  THE color of innocence, as the international symbolic color of surrender or peace. Any fan will remember that scene where Bono holds that white flag. I think it is truly the most powerful symbol of peace and innocence. European Soul, American Soul, Asian Soul, African Soul, isnt true unity best symbolised by the white flag?

Edited by bettydalton
  • Like 2
  • Subscriber

I like white flag as a symbol of unity beyond our politics as testament to our humanity.

That turning thoughts into feelings is an interesting angle of approach. One must have a certain degree of openness in this approach to cognitive dissonance.:Euro_Machphisto:

• 1 month later...
  • Subscriber
16 hours ago, doctornickriviera said:

It’s a great album. Even better live!

I agree!

I’m glad they have played so much of it live.

Will “The Showman” make a live appearance before the end of the tour? Time will tell...

• bigwave unfeatured this topic