Sign in to follow this  
hope3702

This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

I LOVE this new album, especially listening to it all the way through! When I listen to it, it reminds me of how I felt when "All That You Can't Leave Behind" came out. Not that the songs have the same feel but that the songs are uplifting in a time of negativity and darkness in the world. I love how the band have described the songs as "defiantly joyful" because that's exactly how I feel when I listen to it. "Love is All We Have Left" is a great way to open it and the album just keeps getting better as it goes. 

Well done boys!

• Like 1

Listened to the album once this morning on my way to work.  Got the same feeling I had after listening to AB and ATYCLB for the first time.  Its a bit of a hard pill to swallow but I think thats a good thing as I am sure the album will grow on me after more listens. :)

Edited by Carlos
  • Like 1

Really how to describe?  U2 meets Randy Newman meets Tory Amos meets The Cure meets the Beatles meets....I dunno..just a great listen!

I

The whole album is VERY strong. Seriously, Red Flag Day should be their next single if they want to try to get some airplay. These guys are closing in on 60??? Seriously?? Hard to believe. Love is ALL We Have Left is so hauntingly beautiful. The boys are at the top of their game with SOE...it's a fantastic companion to SOI but oh so much better. I never got to hear The Little Things live but this studio version is beautiful. How many times can I use the word beautiful to describe it? I smell a Grammy. This was worth the wait. Can't wait for these songs to wrap around me when I see them live.

BTW, did anyone notice that as of this morning Eli and Sian move on the main page of U2.com? Maybe I just didn't notice that they move before, but I don't think so.

Edited by malaboo

Honestly I absolutely love it ! Didn’t think I would but wow songs like Red Flag Day, The Showman, The little things that give you away just demand attention. I loved NLOTH but this is the best album since POP to me  . It just gets better and better after the 2 singles which both fit in really well. 

On 11/21/2017 at 2:38 PM, yardie said:

I'm tending to agree. I recall in my late teens - this band released 'The Joshua Tree'. I recall hearing the first single lifted off the album - it was called 'With or Without You' (i know you know), strange sound n all that and thinking 'what the feck is this - bit feckin wierd - this isn't 'Pride', this isn't 'Homecoming' , where is 'Bad' #2? - what the feck is this? this is slow!!

Who recalls the first time they heard 'The Fly' as a first release off AB? Raised eyebrows? Always with U2, it wouldn't be the same U2 if they didn't pose the questions

I think this release is full of 'growers' - I base that only on what I've heard - this is going to be an absolutely cool album quite possibly their best since HTDAAB, perhaps exceed that.

Th'on 'With Or Without You' turned out not to bad after all.B)

There's a lot of U2 haters out there - humans hate successful longevity as a trait.

OK, as an honest U2 fan, No Line & SOI, whilst both containing great tracks, weren't critically acclaimed, and perhaps were perceived as weaker album releases - I struggle to buy into that. There is no such thing as a bad U2 album. There is such a thing as progress though. I believe this release will be progress.

In your 50's - you will never replicate your 20's or 30's - life unfortunately curtails that to some degree - not many better than U2 at giving it a damned good go!

Here's to 1st December!

It is so funny what you stated about With or with out you! OMG! I stated this exact thought years ago(in High school) to a fellow u2 freaker like me.

I was like 'what the hell is this shit'????(so ashamed).....Because being a long time fan before Joshua Tree came out....was a transition to hear/accept. Now, post Joshua tree....I listen to a new U2 album with open ears and heart. They each grow on you and get better with time.....like fine wine....not such a bad thing. for a artist...in general.

Another one here who loves it! I think it's great that not every song has the same exact style or pacing to it but they were able to keep them similar enough that there isn't an abrupt stop between songs. I've only listened to it once as well but I can safely say that I think it's a great album. Definitely a lot there to enjoy and take away. Something that requires more than one listening to fully enjoy for sure. I love it!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tflyer90 said:

Another one here who loves it! I think it's great that not every song has the same exact style or pacing to it but they were able to keep them similar enough that there isn't an abrupt stop between songs. I've only listened to it once as well but I can safely say that I think it's a great album. Definitely a lot there to enjoy and take away. Something that requires more than one listening to fully enjoy for sure. I love it!

Bono's voice is a highlight for me.....

His Voice/lyrics seems to be a centerpiece over the musical composition....if you know what I mean?

But then again...this is after one listen......and intuitive instinct....

Listening to a U2 album is like unraveling messages in the bible....they get deeper and more complex with each reading.......and new sounds are heard/noticed with time

Edited by unforgettableu2

13 hours ago, thelordrob said:

Book of your heart still Rip my heart

Summer Of Love: what a riff

red flag: best rock song on album

finally!!!!!!!

Yes....I agree