This SOE is shaping up to be a gem

hope3702

• Subscriber
On 2/25/2018 at 1:29 AM, bettydalton said:

Manohlive you get intrigued by lyrics, but have you got special songs from which the lyrics keep stuck in your mind?

I think I have an unusually big mouth that's constantly posting, however; I blame it on my current president as this need to yap incessantly is foreign.  Thanks to the person that previously suggesting blaming him because it's fun.  I'm still trying to discern some of Bono's lyrics from decades ago. It's about what I feel and why a lyric turns me one direction or another.  I think that's true for all of us or we wouldn't still be here reading and writing.  I like Bono's consistent ability to take an already great metaphor and flip it in so many directions that everyone can relate.

Dmway was the first, that I recall, to point out Refu-Jesus.  I loved it and still do. It's so simple yet contains so much more.. Another Zootopian brought up the two lines which end with-The Master's looking for someone who needs Him.  I like it.  Do I cap Master and Him or is it lower case?  It is very good writing, in my opinion. It's quite obvious, yet hidden under our current world's insanity. I really like how he pokes at his own self in The Showman.  The showman changes and the lyrics became about my current president who pokes at anyone but his own self..  At this moment it's about me writing this and wondering if I'm going to hide it because it's way too much to be posting and I'm the showman.  BigBunny and I discussed the segue from Get Out of...into American Soul; the obvious reference to The Beatitudes. I find that segue resounding. I wanted to pounce and condemn it yet could not or I'd be the one offending.  I don't want to get religious. I had to check myself to be able to compare/contrast the two texts without bias. I believe they fit.  Even if they did not or do not, who am I to judge?  Flipped again.

Love Is All We Have Left. The Lights of Home. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way.  There is a Light...    Those four lines combined feel omnipotent yet transparent and so vulnerable to the human condition.  For me, this is as good as writing gets. It is in the league of Sophocles good. I don't say that lightly.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 2

• Subscriber
54 minutes ago, Manohlive said:

I think I have an unusually big mouth that's constantly posting, however; I blame it on my current president as this need to yap incessantly is foreign.  Thanks to the person that previously suggesting doing so.  I'm still trying to discern some of Bono's lyrics from decades ago. It's about what I feel and why a lyric turns me one direction or another.  I think that's true for all of us or we wouldn't still be here reading and writing.

BigBunny was the first, that I recall, to point out Refu-Jesus.  I loved it and still do. It's so simple yet contains, for me, all that is important. Big Bunny was also the first to bring up the two lines which end with-The Master's looking for someone who needs Him.  I agreed and still love it.  Do I cap Master and Him or is it lower case?  It is very good writing, in my opinion. It's quite obvious yet hidden under the layers of our current world's insanity I love that he pokes at his own self in The Showman.  The showman changed and the lyrics became about my current president.  At this moment it's about me writing this and wondering if I'm going to hide it because it's way too much to be posting and I'm the showman.  Yet again Bono flips me, in verse, to where I don't know!  BigBunny and I discussed the segue from Get Out of...into American Soul; the obvious reference to The Beatitudes. I think those lyrics are astounding.  I wanted to pounce and condemn them yet could not or I'd be the one offending.  I don't want to get religious. I had to check myself to be able to compare the two texts without bias. I believe they fit.  Even if they did not or do not, who am I to judge?  Flipped again. I love SOE.

Love Is All We Have Left. The Lights of Home. Love is Bigger Than Anything In Its Way.  There is a Light...    Those four lines combined feels omnipotent yet transparent and so vulnerable to the human condition.  For me, this is as good as writing gets. It is in the league of Sophocles good. I don't say that lightly either. 

Not to toot my own horn, but I think you reacted to my pointing out how much I liked refu-Jesus. I'm too lazy at the moment to find the proof, but it is somewhere in this thread. :)

And, I'm glad that there are still people out there who still know who Sophocles even is - a profound writer to be sure. In fact, all three of the major Greek Tragedians are very good, but Sophocles and Euripides were the cream of the crop. Bono would be flattered by the comparison to be sure.

One of the very many things about SOE I have enjoyed the most is how much Bono really did well in his writing of the lyrics. People have also done really well in this thread in pointing out all of the subtleties in them too.

Yes - A+/A* to all four of them! :)

• Like 1

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, dmway said:

Not to toot my own horn, but I think you reacted to my pointing out how much I liked refu-Jesus. I'm too lazy at the moment to find the proof, but it is somewhere in this thread. :)

All Due Props to Dmway!   :)  I should have looked.  Called out and humbled again.  I love it.  I'm in the process of editing what I posted.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Haha 1

Me being very critical of the new album in the very beginning I must confess (to my own joy) that Songs of Experience is growing on me. I really start liking the songs. After some months now the songs have become part of me. Even wake up with them in my head sometimes. The first live shows dates are coming closer everyday. U2 must be rehearsing these songs live right now. I wont be present, (no tickets!), but I will follow them online on youtube when they start in the States. I am very curious HOW U2 is gonna play these songs live. Live is the place that can make or break a U2 song. Even when a song sounds crap on the cd it can still sound great live and vice versa...

Are they gonna use strings? Synthesizers? A choir ? A capella ? Songs of Experience lends itself for an entirely different presentation. The BBC Christmas show was an example of that. Are there any rumours yet to what U2 is going to do live ? Multiple stages I read somewhere..

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 2018-02-13 at 10:09 PM, Manohlive said:

It does not seem to be verified any longer.  There are great seats for Chicago still available.  I've seen great seats for other cities.  It did not check if I was verified or not.  I was searching and not purchasing.  I don't think verified enters into things any longer for the American leg of this tour.

I have booked the flight to US Manohlive. ? Going to visit a friend in Cincinnati 22/5-29/5 and now decide Chicago or Nashville or both. We plan make a roadtrip south but so close U2 I never gonna miss this. 

What will the best day in Chicago you think? On SOI tour the second night was better and I travel with my brother and daugher so there is some planning to do. 

US is so big and I will not wanna go alone Hah. Anyone else going to see them in Chicago? 

American Dream. 

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, aggieloll said:

Love hearing your thoughts. I love SOE so many layers!  Do you think they will do the “ordinary chorus”? On the tour Anyone else record their version? X

Um, yes, I recorded a version, or a few!! My friend and I sent in 5 videos total!!  2 40-year-old moms acting like teenagers for an afternoon, we had so much fun making them.  We joke sometimes that at least the band must be sitting around at night watching our videos because they love us so much. LOL. I am just waiting to be up there on the screen singing with the boys!  

• Subscriber
On 3/2/2018 at 9:00 PM, Manohlive said:

Another Zootopian brought up the two lines which end with-The Master's looking for someone who needs Him.  I like it.  Do I cap Master and Him or is it lower case?  It is very good writing, in my opinion. It's quite obvious, yet hidden under our current world's insanity.                  

Wow. I had not thought of it with the caps. That changes the entire meaning of the line and I love it even that much more.  Before, I had been thinking about dictators and wanna-be dictators (Trump) wanting people to need them.  But Master...Him?  Totally different lyric. And matches with the next line about the Promised Land.  Thanks Manohlive!!  

• bigwave unfeatured this topic