R.I.P. Thread

• Subscriber
53 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I'm honestly sitting here in tears. The legendary British motorsport commentator Murray Walker has died, aged 97 :(

He's best known for commentating on Formula 1 racing - for so many of us F1 fans, he was the voice of the sport. I grew up with his commentaries, his distinctive voice and enthusiasm. 

There was a lot of humour, but also very emotional moments too. I don't know how he managed commentating on the Imola Grand Prix in 1994, but he kept professional and calm even as tragic events unfolded on that horrible weekend. And his iconic commentary in 1996, when Damon Hill crossed the finish line to win his first world title: "And now I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat". 

Thank you for everything Murray, and rest in peace. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

I heard about this earlier and I’m gutted, my mum introduced me to formula one at an early age and Murray’s commentary was amazing. I always remember the time Nigel Mansell had the huge bump on his head and Murray poked it 😂

Rest In Peace Murray 

• Like 1
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This year I remembered on time... R.I.P., John Lennon...how has 40 years gone by since it happened?  

Oh no, RIP Eddie van Halen 

Oh no! Remember gratefully listening to her Mixlrs several times on the EI Tour. 

Posted Images

• Subscriber
12 minutes ago, ELMARTO said:

I heard about this earlier and I’m gutted, my mum introduced me to formula one at an early age and Murray’s commentary was amazing. I always remember the time Nigel Mansell had the huge bump on his head and Murray poked it 😂

Rest In Peace Murray 

That was classic Murray :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
7 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I'm honestly sitting here in tears. The legendary British motorsport commentator Murray Walker has died, aged 97 :(

He's best known for commentating on Formula 1 racing - for so many of us F1 fans, he was the voice of the sport. I grew up with his commentaries, his distinctive voice and enthusiasm. 

There was a lot of humour, but also very emotional moments too. I don't know how he managed commentating on the Imola Grand Prix in 1994, but he kept professional and calm even as tragic events unfolded on that horrible weekend. And his iconic commentary in 1996, when Damon Hill crossed the finish line to win the world title: "And now I've got to stop, because I've got a lump in my throat". 

Thank you for everything Murray, and rest in peace. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/56388596

I was just thinking about Murray the other day, wondering how old he must be now. I was a huge F1 fan from the mid-'90s to mid-2000s. A sad day. :(

Always remember a quote of his that cracked me up during quali back in 2001 - something along the lines of "There will be SEVEN previous winners of the Monaco Grand Prix starting the race tomorrow. Four of them are Michael Schumacher."

• Like 2
  • Subscriber

First Murray and now this.

Former undisputed middleweight world champion 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler passed away unexpectedly yesterday at the age of 66.

Rest in Peace Champ 

D4E873F5-DBAF-4108-BD01-F28A7E9AF529.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Subscriber
9 hours ago, ELMARTO said:

First Murray and now this.

Former undisputed middleweight world champion 'Marvelous' Marvin Hagler passed away unexpectedly yesterday at the age of 66.

Rest in Peace Champ 

D4E873F5-DBAF-4108-BD01-F28A7E9AF529.jpeg

Yes, that was a real shock!

I still remember fondly the three-way battle for the title between Hagler, Thomas “Hitman” Hearns, and the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard back in the 80s. They were all about equally good.

R.I.P., Marvelous Marvin.

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, dmway said:

Yes, that was a real shock!

I still remember fondly the three-way battle for the title between Hagler, Thomas “Hitman” Hearns, and the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard back in the 80s. They were all about equally good.

R.I.P., Marvelous Marvin.

Absolutely, those fights were outstanding 

• Like 1