R.I.P. Thread

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many may know her by her Mixlr name, barcaqueen. R.I.P. Linda.   

...and to check in on people you care about.

Fully agreed - and my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events. A true hero, indeed. Son of a sharecropper from South Carolina, his family made its way to Baltimore for the ho

Posted Images

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, dmway said:

my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events

I didn't want d to be a part of what I said.  I agree.  It's hard not to think about both.  It's not often I see people with trails of tears over the death of one of our politicians.  He was a leader before anything Washington.   I can only imagine the grief people in Baltimore, and all his constituents,  must be feeling.  I've been bummed since I heard the news yesterday.  Horrible loss during a terrible time.  

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
1 hour ago, doctornickriviera said:

39 poor souls in a shipping container hoping for a new life in the UK. Too awful a fate to be imagined

And you just know that someone, somewhere is counting the money those people paid - which was probably all their savings - and that smuggler probably doesn't even know they've died. And cases like this are being repeated all over the world; people desperate to escape poverty and persecution gambling their lives on trying to get to somewhere better. Meanwhile, manufacturers in the rich countries sell weapons that mess up places they probably can't even find on a map, prompting more people to need to leave those places and seek refuge in countries that then try and demonise the refugees for being foreign.

It's a mess :( 

I've just finished reading a novel, funnily enough, that tells the story of a family trying to get out of Syria. It's all the more poignant because you know stories like that one are being played out as we speak. At one point, they are in a container on a lorry - it sounds eerily similar to this real-life case. 

As long as there is war and poverty and misery creating refugees, there will sadly be smugglers and traffickers that seek to exploit them. It's all very well for governments to talk about legal pathways and processes, but not everyone can afford plane or ferry tickets to enter a country legally. People need to understand that. To quote Bono from the Paris IETour version of "Bullet":

"I run... I run... into your arms. Are they open? I'm not dangerous... I'm in danger..."  

• Upvote 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Community Moderator

RIP Gay Byrne.
If you followed U2 in the 80s, you probably saw one of his interviews with the band for The Late Late Show on RTE. 

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/a-nation-that-adored-him-celebrities-and-viewers-alike-mourn-the-loss-of-gay-byrne-961860.html

I remember getting hold of this interview and watching it over and over. Probably still have the VHS somewhere. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Subscriber
On 11/5/2019 at 7:27 AM, mich40 said:

RIP Gay Byrne.
If you followed U2 in the 80s, you probably saw one of his interviews with the band for The Late Late Show on RTE. 

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/a-nation-that-adored-him-celebrities-and-viewers-alike-mourn-the-loss-of-gay-byrne-961860.html

I remember getting hold of this interview and watching it over and over. Probably still have the VHS somewhere. 

Yes, Gay Byrne was a national legend in Ireland. He seemingly appealed to virtually everybody.

R.I.P., Gay.

• Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

A day late - I remembered yesterday, but I forgot to post here.

R.I.P., John Lennon.

2019 was one of the worst years for gun violence in the US. Remembering John this year, therefore, seems all the more poignant.

Like many people in the US in 1980, I learned of the tragedy in an unexpected way: from Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football. (For those who don’t know him, he was a very famous sportscaster at the time, perhaps the most famous - Billy Crystal used to do a spot-on perfect impression of him.) I think he made the announcement just before halftime.

What was especially touching at the time was hearing his genuine outrage about the shooting. He was a generation older than John Lennon, and those in that generation were not always tolerant of John’s generation (think of the generational differences of opinion about the war in Vietnam, and you’ll understand). I’m happy that he spoke about it during the game and as forcefully as he did.

Again, R.I.P, John (and Howard too, come to think of it - he passed on a different day, though).

• Sad 1
  • Subscriber
7 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Rest in Peace Marie Fredriksson. Roxette songs were always on the radio when I was growing up, part of the soundtrack of my childhood. She was just 61 :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50730052 

One of the first bands I ever considered my "favourite" when I was a kid. Great songs and a fantastic singer - very sad news. :(