R.I.P. Thread

• Subscriber
40 minutes ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Rest in Peace Marie Fredriksson. Roxette songs were always on the radio when I was growing up, part of the soundtrack of my childhood. She was just 61 :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50730052 

A friend just texted me to tell me the news. He turned me onto Roxette.  I enjoy Roxette's music.  I agree with Canadanne's saying great songs and fantastic singer.  Sad for anyone to lose someone at any time.  It seems an extra challenge to do so during the holidays, no matter what we believe or celebrate. I hope she, and those who mourn her loss, find and are granted peace.  .

• Sad 1
  • Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many may know her by her Mixlr name, barcaqueen. R.I.P. Linda.   

...and to check in on people you care about.

Fully agreed - and my opinion both does and doesn’t have to do with current events. A true hero, indeed. Son of a sharecropper from South Carolina, his family made its way to Baltimore for the ho

Posted Images

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

Rest in Peace Marie Fredriksson. Roxette songs were always on the radio when I was growing up, part of the soundtrack of my childhood. She was just 61 :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50730052 

Marie was and still is my favourite female vocalist. this is really sad for me 🙁 and she was only 61, RIP Marie. 

below is my favourite Roxette song 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Subscriber

R.I.P., Neil Peart, legendary drummer of Canadian progressive rock trio, Rush.

He apparently died of the same brain cancer as Ted Kennedy and John McCain.

Heaven has another superlative drummer; we still on Earth are now short one of the very best. 🥁 

Edited by dmway
  • Sad 3
  • Subscriber

I was still secretly hoping I'd see Rush live again.  I went to every tour, from Hemispheres to Snakes and Arrows-usually multiple shows and as many as possible.  I remember watching him and doing air percussion to The Trees on the Hemispheres tour.  Dang, this sucks. 

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Subscriber

My local BBC radio station started and ended this evening's 6-8 Saturday night show with Rush songs by way of tribute. I have to admit that, while I'd heard of the band, I'm not very familiar with their actual music - it's quite possible, those two songs are the first two of theirs I've ever heard. And I liked them, so now I shall investigate further :)

• Like 2
  • Subscriber
On 1/10/2020 at 8:06 PM, Manohlive said:

I was still secretly hoping I'd see Rush live again.  I went to every tour, from Hemispheres to Snakes and Arrows-usually multiple shows and as many as possible.  I remember watching him and doing air percussion to The Trees on the Hemispheres tour.  Dang, this sucks. 

Yes, it really does. I wanted to see them live from the Signals tour onward, but I only got to see them for the first time on the Hold Your Fire tour. I then caught every tour up to and including Vapor Trails; on the Test For Echo tour I actually got to see them at their hometown show in Toronto. Very cool.

Neil (and the whole band, studio and live) will always be missed.

7 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

My local BBC radio station started and ended this evening's 6-8 Saturday night show with Rush songs by way of tribute. I have to admit that, while I'd heard of the band, I'm not very familiar with their actual music - it's quite possible, those two songs are the first two of theirs I've ever heard. And I liked them, so now I shall investigate further :)

If there is any good news coming from Neil's death, it is stories such as yours.

FWIW, using your U2 fandom as a starting point, I would generally avoid their 70s work (having said that, three of my favorite albums of theirs are from the 70s (2112, A Farewell To Kings, Hemispheres); however, that was when they were at their most progressive). If you like the punkier, more direct music that inspired U2 at the beginning of their career, I'd check out their 80s work first. Geddy (by his own admission) sang better and more melodically then (his vocals in the 70s divide opinion - enough said). So, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals would be good to check out; the rest of the albums from the 80s are also good, and are even a bit more accessible. Their 90s work, IMHO, was another very strong era from them - Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts, and Test For Echo are all very, very good. They were a bit less consistently excellent in the new millennium, but they have good songs then too (e.g., "One Little Victory").

I hope you find something to like - Rush was an excellent band, and Neil was a large part of the reason. In addition to being one of the very best rock drummers ever, he wrote the lion's share of the lyrics too. He was very erudite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Subscriber

Fly By Night was the first guitar riff I ever learned.  Rush was my band when I was a kid.  I saw them dozens of times. Led Zep was too inaccessible.  Rush was always touring.  It cost eight dollars to see them for the Hemisphere's tour.   The Spirit of Radio tour was ten bucks, I think. Nobody sounded like Rush. They are phenomenal musicians-each in is his own right.  Live, they were like looking up and seeing a freight train running me down. I survived and wanted to do it again as soon as the show ended..

23 hours ago, padawanbeck84 said:

I'm not very familiar with their actual music - it's quite possible, those two songs are the first two of theirs I've ever heard. And I liked them, so now I shall investigate further

Neil Peart's lyrics encompass a lot of different subjects.  They are very intelligent.  I respectfully disagree with dmway above. You won't know some of their best music if you only listen to their later work.  I never noticed Geddy Lee's voice being better or worse.  It just was. (no offense, dmway-I understand, and agree what you were saying about his voice.)   

Very early music:   I suggest Fly By Night, Bastille Days and Working Man

2112 is epic.  You cannot understand Rush without 2112.  (assuming you want to do so)   It's a very important album in the history of rock and roll.  The 2112 suite (first half of the album) taught me how dangerous power, in the wrong hands, can be..It scared me. It's about a govenment, in the future, which takes away music, for the greater good of all.  It's only 20 minutes long. I'd listen as a history lesson, but that's just me. It's science fiction in rock and roll.  There are parts where I start to get a bit overwhlemed, however,  it's very dynamic and quickly changes tempo. Give a listen to Discovery (around the 7 minute mark)  I love Alex Lifeson's guitar expressing how a human being might discover a guitar for the first time, not know what it is, pick it up and try to discern truth..The 18:15 minute mark-turn it up as loud as possible and hold onto your seat.  They were pretty much told they'd be ruined if they released 2112.  It was not true.  Rush is now third, behind The Beatles and The Stones, for the most consecutive gold or platinum albums released by a rock band.

A Farewell To Kings album: Xanadu and Closer to the Heart are not to be missed.  Xanadu is my favorite Rush track.  It's based on the Coleridge poem.  It introduced me to poetry.  The beginning of A Farewell to Kings sparked my desire to study classical guitar.  I heard that tonality and was hooked.

Hemispheres-listen to The Trees.  Rush wrote original morality tales and made them kick ass with rock and roll.  This is a great example. La Villa Strangiata birthed my love of flamenco music.  (long instrumental I would not suggest to a new listener)  Alex Lifeson is a very underrated guitarist. 

Permanent Waves-The Spirit of Radio is the obvious choice.  Jacob's Ladder is often overlooked.  It's one of my favoirtes.  This is the album where they start to play with pop, punk and other sounds.  As dmway said, this migh be the point where you start to like their music the most.  Much is still progressive but more contained.  All four of these albums were released between 1976 and 1980.   

Neil Peart is one of our best drummers  He is so good that I don't feel a right to say that.   He also wrote profound lyrics.  Fans still debate their meaning. . He was, and shall continue to be loved.  😭

And the men who hold high places                                                                                                                                                                                                      Must be the ones to start                                                                                                                                                                                                                      To mold a new reality                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Closer to the heart                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Closer to the heart.

Edited by Manohlive
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Subscriber
On 1/11/2020 at 2:25 PM, padawanbeck84 said:

I liked them, so now I shall investigate further :)

Watch the first nine and a half minutes of this.  It's an overture of all their music to that date. (30 years).  You see them play it live.  You get to see Neil Peart play a lot of his signature drumming. It'll give you a good sense of Rush, and it's played live.   I wish I had just posted this and not what I wrote above. Pardon my indulgence.  I, like all other Rush fans, am absolutely crushed by the news. It is very comforting to read your interest and see a new smile attached to Rush.  

Edited by Manohlive