Record Store Day 2019

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got up early and caught a 6am train to a nearby town to get my copy. When I left my home it was cold and dark , just before sunrise and so quiet and all the birds were twittering away  I thought to

Inside.

It is heavy, good quality glossy paper that is folded in two to create a pamphlet about 12x12. On the front is the entire Chaplin speech. Inside both pages are taken up of a live shot of the audience

Posted Images

• Subscriber

I must say that I did very well. 

Got U2, Dylan, Van, Doors and Noel Gallagher.

Was very tempted by Lennon but it was starting to add up. I would have loved to get Bingo Handjob but it was nowhere to be found. Copies online for $150 - I can do without. 

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
On 4/9/2019 at 2:55 PM, Manohlive said:

My record store of choice will not reserve one for me.  They are only getting six copies.  I may pull rank and call the owner.  I've been buying from his store(s) since I was a little boy.  (all local to my state and now in a few cities)  The problem is that he's gotten older and I don't know if he'll remember me.  I think he will because I was in those stores every day. If need be, I'm lining up at 6 am.  I am not missing out of this one.   

It is against the 'rules' as laid out by the organizers/founders of Record Store Day .A store is not allowed to to hold/reserve records , nor have them pre paid - goes against the whole spirit of the day . They take the matter seriously - they can ban a store from participating in future Record Store Days ( hence why they won't do it for you ) 

• Subscriber
5 hours ago, DAYS_MOON said:

It is against the 'rules' as laid out by the organizers/founders of Record Store Day .A store is not allowed to to hold/reserve records , nor have them pre paid - goes against the whole spirit of the day . They take the matter seriously - they can ban a store from participating in future Record Store Days ( hence why they won't do it for you ) 

I did not realize that.  The man who owns the stores used to talk to me when I was a boy because I was always looking at or buying something.  My comments were not meant to be argumentative.  It was great watching everyone so excited this morning.  Coffee shops set up stands for the crowd.  I also got a mint condition Achtung Baby cd while waiting in line.  Mine skips at One/Wild Horses.  It was four bucks.  The booklet has never been opened.  It's the original cardboard packaging. I can burn this one and then preserve it.  The whole morning was wonderful.  

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, Malahide said:

And a special release of 'Message in a Bottle' (The Police) for 24 euros. Only 1000 copies

Police, ThePOLICE MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE -RSD- 2x7'

I saw that in my store, or something else by The Police.  I didn't dare.  I bought too many concert tickets lately.  My musical budget is parched.  

I also saw a Songs of Experience box which was $87.99.  It was among the new releases all over the walls.  I could not leave the line to look at it.  They had one of them.  I could not get back through the crowd to look at it once I bought my U2 EP. 

• Subscriber

I got up early and caught a 6am train to a nearby town to get my copy. When I left my home it was cold and dark , just before sunrise and so quiet and all the birds were twittering away  I thought to myself what a joyful beautiful day and it was- I secured a copy later. I feel that sometimes I do mad  things for U2 but rarely am I disappointed - the band always bring joy to my life

• Like 3
  • Subscriber

A side post, but related...

Has anyone looked at the special items made in conjunction with RDS in the store? They are very nice, but I have two problems:

1) Why didn’t they make t-shirts out of the wall-hanging images? (I would have considered buying two of them if they had)

and

2) The wall-hangings are very nice, but not enough to spend $45 each on them (IMHO, of course - I’m sure they’ll sell out regardless). If these were more reasonably priced, I would have already ordered one. Just because you may get away with charging more doesn’t mean you have to.

It would be refreshing for members to be treated to truly special prices for items such as these in the shop instead of “let’s-see-how-much-money-we-can-gouge-from-the-fanbase” strategy that Live Nation seems to employ in the pricing. The 25% discount we get is only for one item in any given subscription year. You know a discount like that could be extended beyond just one item - maybe not at 25% off everything, but perhaps a lower percentage to be used on multiple orders throughout the subscription year.

Just a thought...rant over.

Edited by dmway
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, dmway said:

Has anyone looked at the special items made in conjunction with RDS in the store? They are very nice, but I have two problems:

I looked at it and found the merchandise boring.  I want something new or a new approach at something they've already done.  I love the EP art.  I'm framing it. If it's RSD-why not give us a vintage Pop poster or AB or EI using all the cool U2 imagery?  The RSD merchandise in the shop is not indicative of how awesome U2's art is when it comes to their albums and tours. I love Charles Chaplin but that poster bores me.  Connect his image, 'We Must Unite' and U2's art-I'd be chomping at the bit to buy it.  Just my opinion.