U2Community

Announcing our 2020 subscription offer : 'U2 eXPERIENCE + iNNOCENCE – LIVE IN BERLIN'

31 minutes ago, hkleinjan said:

My gift is send to me on 06/19/2020. Until now nothing received.

United States

06/19/2020

12:00 A.M.

Package departed international carrier facility

It's a long way from the USA to Holland.

When do I get my copy?

Under normal circumstances, it could take 4-6 weeks; but keep in mind that mail services are delayed worldwide because of the pandemic, it can take longer. 

I feel that if one is entitled to a DVD through taking out a subscription, then the highest possible  definition  streaming of that video should be available to the subscriber ... indefinitely, for as long as one holds an active subscription. It would be a soft  incentive for fans to continue to subscribe, it would be a win-win. 

Yes it’s available now for streaming , but for how long is anyone’s guess. 

It looks great even AirPlaying in 1080p. Having played back other DVD And Blu ray U2 concerts , the audio is not quite there.  Maybe the streamed audio is a compressed version of Dolby digital 5.1. Does the DVD version audio sound any better , to anyone’s ear ? I’m waiting for my copy. 

is the 2 CD set the exact same as last year’s ? 

I have the CDs from last year, is why I ask. I only chose the DVD.  

3 minutes ago, yew2 said:

is the 2 CD set the exact same as last year’s ? 

I have the CDs from last year, is why I ask. I only chose the DVD.  

I think there was the option to renew this year getting both gifts - it cost a little more at the time (if my memory serves correctly).

In any case, yes, it’s the same set as last year.

• Brilliant 1

36 minutes ago, dmway said:

I think there was the option to renew this year getting both gifts - it cost a little more at the time (if my memory serves correctly).

In any case, yes, it’s the same set as last year.

Thank you. Great , relieved it’s the same CD as I didn’t need another set and only ordered the DVD. 

my CD set from last year came inside an oversized booklet. Looks like the one from this year is the same size as the disc , unless I’m mistaken. 

I have to take back what I always believed about dts. I’ve been listening to U2 concert DVDs this evening. They invariably actually sound better in Dolby digital (DD) than dts , at least on my Onkyo amp that I now use. 

I have the I&E Blu ray. Aside from the stereo track , this only has a dts soundtrack, no DD. I just purchased it on iTunes , where of course everything that is in 5.1 is DD. And it sounds better than the Blu ray dts core. Each compared using optical connection. And counterintuitively, HDMI route for audio sounds worse for both compared to optical - but this  may be peculiar to my amp. 

but whatever , I can’t stop myself getting drawn into  the DD audio . 

so I am really looking forward to the DVD which I have been told has DD audio, hopefully it’s higher bitrate audio than what’s streaming , which sounds decent enough anyway I guess. I have spent more time watching Berlin  this evening than any other U2 concert. I love the cartoon sketch interlude and the version of Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me that plays alongside. The second act of the show is pure class, and want to finish watching it again. 

so glad they changed their name from “the Hype” , which would have given the impression that they really weren’t all that.  And of course , they are !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yew2 said:

Thank you. Great , relieved it’s the same CD as I didn’t need another set and only ordered the DVD. 

my CD set from last year came inside an oversized booklet. Looks like the one from this year is the same size as the disc , unless I’m mistaken. 

I have to take back what I always believed about dts. I’ve been listening to U2 concert DVDs this evening. They invariably actually sound better in Dolby digital (DD) than dts , at least on my Onkyo amp that I now use. 

I have the I&E Blu ray. Aside from the stereo track , this only has a dts soundtrack, no DD. I just purchased it on iTunes , where of course everything that is in 5.1 is DD. And it sounds better than the Blu ray dts core. Each compared using optical connection. And counterintuitively, HDMI route for audio sounds worse for both compared to optical - but this  may be peculiar to my amp. 

but whatever , I can’t stop myself getting drawn into  the DD audio . 

so I am really looking forward to the DVD which I have been told has DD audio, hopefully it’s higher bitrate audio than what’s streaming , which sounds decent enough anyway I guess. I have spent more time watching Berlin  this evening than any other U2 concert. I love the cartoon sketch interlude and the version of Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me that plays alongside. The second act of the show is pure class, and want to finish watching it again. 

so glad they changed their name from “the Hype” , which would have given the impression that they really weren’t all that.  And of course , they are !

I highlighted a bit of what you just wrote because I noticed exactly the same thing; except while watching/listening to the Vertigo stream we had just recently - so it isn't just your amp. I noticed exactly the same thing as you said - the sound via HDMI was perfectly fine; however, the original audio from the DVD was much better. Now, the video quality between the two was no contest - the new stream was absolutely phenomenal and a great improvement over the original DVD. (I hope these pre-U2360 shows get upscaled hi-def releases eventually.)

The Berlin show looks and sounds great on the DVD. I still suspect it will get a HD physical release someday - whether it's this year or further in the future, I couldn't say. It would be very difficult to believe that the show was filmed in 4K and the only physical release ever would be this DVD only. Time will tell.

Yes, last year's gift and this year's are pretty much the same size - they are nice complements of one another.

Yes - "U2" is a timeless name. "The Hype" and "Feedback" don't have quite the same resonance - it was a good change.

I went to the Justin Timberlake 20/20 experience concert about 5 years ago. The final Vegas show was filmed by famed Jonathan Demme who has died now. It was a fabulous show and  I waited ages for a blu ray release. Eventually it was sold to Netflix and never got a blu ray release, which I was very miffed about as the Netflix show is missing several fantastic songs from the concert. 

Maybe U2 Berlin could eventually be sold to Netflix. 

personally, I don’t mind as long as it is the full unedited show as well as  disc format is also marketed.