Beautiful things coming out of the pandemic

• Community Moderator

Covid sucks. We all know it; but even in these hard times, beautiful things are coming out. Maybe we could add some of the good things here. I’ll start with this one. Mind you, One has always been one of those sacred songs for me that I thought no one should touch...not even U2 with Mary J Blige, and this brought me to tears this morning because it was so beautiful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I hear U2 have donated €10m to fund PPE for Irish Health care workers.  great work boys , now let’s hope they can source some. https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129416-ppe-supplies

Covid sucks. We all know it; but even in these hard times, beautiful things are coming out. Maybe we could add some of the good things here. I’ll start with this one. Mind you, One has always been one

Let's hear it (again) for Ireland. The Irish Prime Minister, Leo Varadkar, who was a junior doctor until 2013 (and then became Minister of Health) before becoming Prime Minister, has volunteered

Posted Images

• Subscriber

That we realise that it’s not the bankers, Uber rich celebrities and businessmen in their off shore tax haven that we really need in a time of crisis it’s the little people who keep our world turning.

delivery drivers, healthcare workers/ carers(all involved in delivering healthcare systems) bus drivers, people working on the minimum wage in shops to keep us supplied, bus drivers, police, community volunteers, refuse workers and all the many people(too many to list) who are employed in roles that keep our world turning. Too many to list and I hope the world values them a little more and gives them a better deal once this is over.

• Like 2
  • Subscriber

This is Dave. He’s a great bloke I worked with in emergency medicine 17 years ago. He’s an intensive Care Consultant in South Wales and has recovered from C19 and is now back leading his team . Be like Dave

please watch this is an amazing interview from channel 4 news and listen to the message about staying at home.

• Like 1
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)

Let's hear it (again) for Ireland.

The Irish Prime Minister, Leo Varadkar, who was a junior doctor until 2013 (and then became Minister of Health) before becoming Prime Minister, has volunteered himself to be on the medical register again - that means he's going to work combating the COVID-19 pandemic until it is over in Ireland.

More news here:

https://news.yahoo.com/irish-prime-minister-doctor-during-145909267.html

Edited by dmway
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 4/9/2020 at 4:44 AM, doctornickriviera said:

I hear U2 have donated €10m to fund PPE for Irish Health care workers. 
great work boys , now let’s hope they can source some.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0408/1129416-ppe-supplies/

...and this donation has even attracted the attention of a special site now!

A lot of people relate to news and statistics better if it can be visualized effectively. One site created by statisticians has made a business of creating data visualizations to make statistics easier to understand. They even created a new section of their site that emphasizes only good news occurring in the world. Well, U2's donation has made it into one of their visualizations! Here is the link:

https://informationisbeautiful.net/beautifulnews/1294-individuals-given-millions/

(If you look right side at the bottom of the visualization, you will see our band. 😊)

They will even send these good news visualizations to your inbox once a week - it is one of the emails I look forward to opening every week. You will see for yourself that not all news in the world is bad. Just click on the little envelope icon at the top right of the webpage and you can subscribe for yourself (you can also subscribe by social media sites too).

The "Information Is Beautiful" group has even published books of their data visualizations in the UK and US - their main book is called "Information Is Beautiful" in the UK; its US title is "The Visual Miscellaneum". They are quite amazing books. Their whole website is quite interesting too - if you click around, you'll find something that will catch your eye. Enjoy!

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber

...and...

I meant to post this a lot sooner.

Back in 1847, the Choctaw Nation (a tribe of Native Americans) gave $147 (approx. $5000 in today's dollars) in relief aid to the people of Ireland during their great famine. The people of Ireland have long memories and like to repay debts - so they have been raising lots of money in a GoFundMe campaign for Native Americans suffering from the coronavirus. That's how one repays a debt...story here:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2020/05/06/coronavirus-irish-donate-native-americans-cite-great-famine-help/5174302002/

• Upvote 1
  • Brilliant 2