Remastered videos on U2’s Youtube Channel

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

“YouTube, Island Records, Interscope, and UMe have announced the relaunch of U2's Official YouTube Channel with weekly releases of the band's most iconic music videos and never before seen content on

One of the new “extras” released today.   

Posted Images

On 11/20/2020 at 3:34 PM, bigwave said:

you never know who might be reading ;) - feel free to post any specific questions here

haha ok ;) worth a shot i've forgot my login details there but here we go!  I asked this before  but hopefully I can keep it more succint now I know the technical term!!

I wanted to ask the U2 YouTube channel: during this current overhaul with remastered videos, would they consider uploading any remastered material that was shot on tape with the option of playing it back deinterlaced?

for example, this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDY51fGYJqo 
(this one is not the best VHS tape source, but you can see a noticeable difference right from the start when viewing it in the full quality)

I've noticed a number of youtube channels uploading material like this where it has been deinterlaced and uploaded with the option to play it back at "60fps" in order to watch it deinterlaced and avoid that smooth/blurry look that a lot of old tape things end up getting when converted.

I can't speak for everyone but personally I think it would be a really good if the U2 channel were willing to go that extra mile to make the tape stuff look as best as it can if the entire video catalogue is getting an upgrade! 

Just wanted to ask as it would be a shame to remaster things shot in film in HD/4K and then simply upload the tape material potentially upscaled to HD but with the smoothed look to it.

thanks for reading

Edited by JoshuaTrrr
  • Like 1
  • Subscriber
On 11/22/2020 at 1:11 AM, Max Tsukino said:

I'd never seen this lyric video.  The above still would be an awesome print, should any eyes and ears be hearing this and could make it so.  I find the imagery very uplifting.  Please add it to be subscriber's wish list.  It's gives me warm U2 fuzziness.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Subscriber
3 hours ago, Manohlive said:

I'd never seen this lyric video.  The above still would be an awesome print, should any eyes and ears be hearing this and could make it so.  I find the imagery very uplifting.  Please add it to be subscriber's wish list.  It's gives me warm U2 fuzziness.

You are so right. Those would make awesome prints! ... I need more walls in my life seriously 🤣

• Like 3
  • Community Moderator
5 hours ago, Madfl3a said:

You are so right. Those would make awesome prints! ... I need more walls in my life seriously 🤣

Seriously! I have “my” room in my house that gets referred to as the “Mich Cave” and “U2 museum” all the time. 😂

• Haha 2
  • Brilliant 1
  • Subscriber
On 11/25/2020 at 2:39 PM, mich40 said:

Seriously! I have “my” room in my house that gets referred to as the “Mich Cave” and “U2 museum” all the time. 😂

I need one of those.... or ten. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2