U2 The Virtual Road Live Thread - Stop 2: U2 Live At Red Rocks

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber

I just watched it (couldn't watch it live as my timezone was unsociable). I'm 99% sure I'm in at least the 20 youngest people on this forum (I'm 25 now) and it's kinda mindblowing to think all the band were younger than I am now when they did this! 

Great show, seeing them just playing songs from those first 3 records was super.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
16 hours ago, xrayjets said:

Ive a dream that one day I’ll be at a show where 40 is the closer.

I have a dream that one day I'll be at a concert again and we will not be worried about catching a virus.

• Like 4
  • Brilliant 1
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber
21 hours ago, dmway said:

Somebody has the money...

We have the memories of the original, and it is always odd not to see/hear it.

When I saw them in London during the Innocence / Experience tour Bono sang send in the clowns during the Electric Co. and at the end of the song said "It's ok we have paid the fees now".

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• Subscriber

Well it was too late for me to tune in to the live thread, so have just watched Red Rocks tonight. I was interested to read the comments at the start of this thread about low volume, I had headphones on with the volume right up and it sounded incredible and visually great as well, surprising how well they cleaned it up. I would really like to thank the technicians for remastering these concerts and for U2.com to put them out, I am getting a whole new appreciation for these concerts. 

Looking forwards to PopMart.

• Like 4

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, acrobat said:

When I saw them in London during the Innocence / Experience tour Bono sang send in the clowns during the Electric Co. and at the end of the song said "It's ok we have paid the fees now".

Thank you for mentioning that because they also included the same snippet on the i&e Paris show DVD/BluRay. (It’s one of the bonus songs.) If it can be included there without a problem, why can’t it be on the Red Rocks show? 🤷‍♂️ 

The situation is even more absurd because Bono doesn’t actually sing the lyrics to “Send In The Clowns” - he sings “I love this crowd” to the tune of “Send In The Clowns”. If the fees have indeed been payed, let’s have the full original version of “The Electric Co.” on the Red Rocks show. The way it is presented now (and since 2008), you have to wonder how Bono got on the roof. He’s just mysteriously there in the edited version. Even more, the scene that is on the cover of the UABRS album/cassette/CD/DVD (and, hopefully someday, BluRay) is no longer in the show! That image defines that album/show!

Well, let’s hope for belated rectification of this edit. 🍀

• Like 1
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2021 at 11:02 PM, Manohlive said:

I just realized I was commenting on the Slane virtual thread, thus the new:  Gloria en te Domine if anyone wonders.  🤣

I saw it! 😄

And, since it is here as well, duty compels me to make a very small correction. (Classical languages are my field of study, so I would feel remiss not mentioning it.)

The phrase is Latin, so it’s: “Gloria in te Domine”. (I saw the same misspelling in the other thread too; otherwise, I would have just ignored this.) “En” would be perfect if the phrase were transliterated from Ancient Greek. (If you got this spelling from a particular source online or elsewhere, they misspelled it.)

A small detail, to be sure, but I know you would want it to be right. More at Wikipedia (they have everything, don’t they?) :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_(U2_song)

Edited by dmway
  • Brilliant 1

• Subscriber

Finally had time to watch this. The word energy describes what this concert is/was all about. I picked up top 3 songs: Two hearts beat as one, A day without me & 11 o'clock tick tock.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
23 hours ago, peterferris8 said:

I just watched it (couldn't watch it live as my timezone was unsociable). I'm 99% sure I'm in at least the 20 youngest people on this forum (I'm 25 now) and it's kinda mindblowing to think all the band were younger than I am now when they did this! 

Great show, seeing them just playing songs from those first 3 records was super.

As a 13 year old (and now almost 99% sure I'm the youngest person on this forum), it definitely is mind-blowing that they were so good when they were so young.  It's so amazing how great Bono's voice was when he was so young (aside from the single version of Twilight).

• Like 3

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, dmway said:

“En” would be perfect if the phrase were transliterated from Ancient Greek

Google Paul Roche.  You'll get 90 million hits.  Oedipus The King - Christopher Plummer and Orson Wells. Paul did the translation.  He's also in the Chorus with Donald Sutherland, among others.  He was a dear friend and one of my mentors. He translated many works in my dining room when he stayed for the winters.  I just saw U2 used the Latin; I use the Greek. Mine was a statement, before Palm Sunday, more than a direct quotation of U2's lyrics.  It may have been in the wrong thread but I prefer the Greek, as it's in my blood. 

Edited by Manohlive