U2 The Virtual Road Live Thread - Final Stop: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE: Live in Paris

Max Tsukino

• Subscriber

When Invisible started, all I could think was, 'My God, they've done it again.  This is going to pretty much define indoor concerts for a long time.'  

I then got to see it three other times and watch the faces of my friends and brother as they realized maybe I'm not so insane to be constantly mentioning how amazing U2 is.  I also finally got my brother to admit Edge was a great guitar player and not all about special effects.  That one, I'll be milking for a very long time as it's my little brother and I was right!   Thanks, U2.

• Like 1

• Subscriber
11 hours ago, cristiu2 said:

And the E&I concert was shot in 4K too, but was only released on dvd...🤔🙄  Waited on a commercial 4K-blu ray release but......of course...no..

Yep. I have made my views on EI Berlin being shot in 4K but only released on DVD very clear. The fact they aren't going to commercially sell a physical copy in 4K or offer a 4K digital download to purchase is farcical. 

11 hours ago, Manohlive said:

Here we go with formatting...    😶      (I'm just joking around-please don't take this too seriously)  They could erect statues of each Zootopian in solid platinum and some of us would think they used the wrong photo-we wanted the other one that captured our good side.  (myself included)

It always comes back to formatting...     Lol

Believe it or not, many of us live in the modern day and use modern day technology ;). But also, wouldn't we provide the photo they use for our statues? 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
10 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

Yep. I have made my views on EI Berlin being shot in 4K but only released on DVD very clear. The fact they aren't going to commercially sell a physical copy in 4K or offer a 4K digital download to purchase is farcical. 

Believe it or not, many of us live in the modern day and use modern day technology ;). But also, wouldn't we provide the photo they use for our statues? 

Use of modern technology doesn't mean better technology. Unfortunately many people don't care about quality and collecting things. So streaming is easy and lazy money grabbing. But...there's still a market for Cd's/blurays etc. for fans. It takes some effort to do so. Universal is not the best recordcompany for fans, it's a moneyfactory that doesn't care and sadly we can do nothing about it.

• Subscriber
13 hours ago, cristiu2 said:

Use of modern technology doesn't mean better technology. Unfortunately many people don't care about quality and collecting things. So streaming is easy and lazy money grabbing. But...there's still a market for Cd's/blurays etc. for fans. It takes some effort to do so. Universal is not the best recordcompany for fans, it's a moneyfactory that doesn't care and sadly we can do nothing about it.

It's not necessarily even a case of people not caring about quality and collecting things, it's just that no-one can afford it these days because the ratrace has left everyone so poor. When I was a kid I had enough pocket money to quite happily stroll into HMV and get a CD or DVD at a bargain price. Now I'm an adult working 30-40 hours a week getting paid minimum wage, and almost all of those paychecks go on rent, bills, council tax, food, etc. 

For the financial straits that a lot of people (particularly young people) are in these days, streaming services are just easier find the budget space for.

• Subscriber
14 hours ago, cristiu2 said:

I'm struggling to find an instance where the use of modern technology doesn't equal better technology. The reason why technology has advanced is because their most recent iterations is better than their previous counterparts. 4K BD > BD > DVD > VHS. I do agree though that unfortunately many people don't care about the quality of things. The Facebook posts in the fans groups show this. Many people watch their DVDs in their Kitchen or their bedrooms with built in DVD players on their old TVs. They wouldn't be able to do this with Blu Ray. I wonder if U2's target audience being the older generation also has an impact on the way they release things. It just sucks for those of us in the younger generation who has mostly grown up with HD or 4K content. 

45 minutes ago, peterferris8 said:

It's not necessarily even a case of people not caring about quality and collecting things, it's just that no-one can afford it these days because the ratrace has left everyone so poor. When I was a kid I had enough pocket money to quite happily stroll into HMV and get a CD or DVD at a bargain price. Now I'm an adult working 30-40 hours a week getting paid minimum wage, and almost all of those paychecks go on rent, bills, council tax, food, etc. 

For the financial straits that a lot of people (particularly young people) are in these days, streaming services are just easier find the budget space for.

I don't agree with this. First of all, the price of BD's are fairly cheap. Wonder Woman 84 (quite a new blockbuster movie) is £15 on BD. Yes you'll have to pay more for the 4K BD version but even that is only a £10 increase. I think those of us that are complaining about Berlin not being released physically in a higher definition format would have no problem with paying those prices. Secondly, it's not like the Berlin film is on streaming services. In fact, the streaming services turned down the option to purchase the film and only some TV channels picked up half an edit of the film because it was cheaper. 

Finally, U2 could quite easily solve this problem by keeping the 4K stream available forever on your U2.com profile (as long as you subscribed for the 2020 gift) but for some reason they haven't. They will actively revoke your access to that stream after your 2020 subscription has expired (even if you've renewed for 2021). It's ridiculous and makes no logical sense to do so. 

P.S. This isn't a rant to any of the posters. I like having these conversations with other fans. It lets me hear other peoples opinions. 

• Like 1

• Subscriber
4 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

I'm struggling to find an instance where the use of modern technology doesn't equal better technology. The reason why technology has advanced is because their most recent iterations is better than their previous counterparts. 4K BD > BD > DVD > VHS. I do agree though that unfortunately many people don't care about the quality of things. The Facebook posts in the fans groups show this. Many people watch their DVDs in their Kitchen or their bedrooms with built in DVD players on their old TVs. They wouldn't be able to do this with Blu Ray. I wonder if U2's target audience being the older generation also has an impact on the way they release things. It just sucks for those of us in the younger generation who has mostly grown up with HD or 4K content. 

I don't agree with this. First of all, the price of BD's are fairly cheap. Wonder Woman 84 (quite a new blockbuster movie) is £15 on BD. Yes you'll have to pay more for the 4K BD version but even that is only a £10 increase. I think those of us that are complaining about Berlin not being released physically in a higher definition format would have no problem with paying those prices. Secondly, it's not like the Berlin film is on streaming services. In fact, the streaming services turned down the option to purchase the film and only some TV channels picked up half an edit of the film because it was cheaper. 

Finally, U2 could quite easily solve this problem by keeping the 4K stream available forever on your U2.com profile (as long as you subscribed for the 2020 gift) but for some reason they haven't. They will actively revoke your access to that stream after your 2020 subscription has expired (even if you've renewed for 2021). It's ridiculous and makes no logical sense to do so. 

P.S. This isn't a rant to any of the posters. I like having these conversations with other fans. It lets me hear other peoples opinions. 

RE: The 4k stream of E&I Berlin i renewed my subscription before it expired and the stream still appears in my profile. I am hoping that reads across to all members who have chosen to do the same.   

• Like 1

• Subscriber
On 4/14/2021 at 3:21 AM, sukhjitkamal said:

But also, wouldn't we provide the photo they use for our statues? 

People would still find something to complain about. 

6 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

I do agree though that unfortunately many people don't care about the quality of things.

That is a presumption and assumption. One person's idea of quality might be total waste to another.  It could argued that humans are so obsessed with the latest technology that they don't care about much else and only want more; often at the expense of others and almost always unnecessarily so.

On 4/14/2021 at 3:21 AM, sukhjitkamal said:

Believe it or not, many of us live in the modern day

We all live in the modern day.  Transistor radio/FM/VHS/CD/DVD/BluRay or not. I was joking with the formatting thing. Suggesting that some are not living in the modern day because they don't care about 4K (or whatever) is silly.  Mine was a joke, not a jab. 

7 hours ago, sukhjitkamal said:

Finally, U2 could quite easily solve this problem by keeping the 4K stream available forever on your U2.com profile

Yes!   They could also tour and make sure I am in the front row so I don't have to deal with any of the countless idiots ruining the aesthetics of the show(s) by turning on those freaking cell phones I hate so very much. They could do it for free AND scrub my bathroom floor before they left town. 

They just upgraded four shows, put them on YouTube for free and had live viewing party threads for free. That's a lot of time, effort and money.

• Subscriber
1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

They just upgraded four shows, put them on YouTube for free and had live viewing party threads for free. That's a lot of time, effort and money.

Of course all the respect for the people that made The Virtual Road available! Like all the remastered videos the quality is well done and very welcome. I hope these projects keep coming.

But

The shows did disappear after 48 hours and now we have to hope they'll appear sometime in the future.. If I want to enjoy a concert I want to do that whenever I want. How nice would it be to have a nice booklet with that??!! 

So making the shows available on physical media would be nice. Limited releases will prove that there is a market for it. Steve Wilson, Marillion, Depeche Mode, REM amongst others did great jobs by releasing for fans. We didn't even get a 5.1 HD dolby/dts audio version of one single album! What great would've been that? In the end it's all about the music, isn't it?  In contrary to their shows new technology didn't actually reach their release in quality of their really great music. 

1 hour ago, Manohlive said:

• Like 1

• Subscriber
6 hours ago, Carlos said:

RE: The 4k stream of E&I Berlin i renewed my subscription before it expired and the stream still appears in my profile. I am hoping that reads across to all members who have chosen to do the same.   

yep, still there for me too 👍