Tokyo Olympics

Canadanne

• Community Moderator

Apparently we won 4 - 1 over France... but it happened at an ungodly hour, so perhaps it was merely a dream... =P

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, xrayjets said:

How about those Olyroos beating Argentina 💪

It's great being to be able to play Argentina without Lionel Messi playing, isn't it? 😄 The referee was a bit card-happy as well - that unfortunately impacted the game too.

But, you can only play the team that's in front of you, and you did that very well! Congratulations!

On 7/21/2021 at 6:48 AM, Canadanne said:

Thought there should be a thread for this now that the sport has begun!

Good start for Team GB's footballers this morning, and a bit of an upset for the USA...

That's one of those games that will wake them up - better now than in a knockout stage game (as happened in the last Olympics in Rio in the quarterfinals at the hands of...Sweden)! Sweden is a quality side - the loss won't bother them as much as the margin of victory. They should win the last two group stage games and we'll see how things go from there.

9 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

Apparently we won 4 - 1 over France... but it happened at an ungodly hour, so perhaps it was merely a dream... =P

You did beat France - I can confirm it! 😄 Actually, I wanted to ask you - how much of the normal Men's National Team for Mexico is playing on the Olympic team instead of in the Gold Cup? I've been watching the Gold Cup attentively and recognized most of your team; however, I caught your first Olympic game and saw your regular first-team keeper playing at the Olympics instead - is he the only one or did others choose to play in the Olympics too? The Euro teams and South American teams scheduled their tournaments better; CONCACAF teams (at least the best ones) have to split their attentions between the two competitions (Olympics and Gold Cup, that is).

The USA women's softball team won their first two games, so that's good. I got to see early rounds of qualifying in rowing - that was "gripping". 🙄😄 Things really get going later today. I'm looking forward to seeing how well Simone Biles and Katie Ledecky do as the Olympics go on. (I'm also hoping that our ever-annoying and seemingly omnipresent virus will let us be able to finish these games in time. 🤞)

Edited by dmway
  • Like 1

• Subscriber
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Max Tsukino said:

but it happened at an ungodly hour

The boots on the other foot now 😃😃😂

Edited by xrayjets

• Subscriber

It will be interesting to see what the opening ceremony looks like. Team GB have said that only around 30 of their team are likely to attend the athletes parade, due to concerns both about the competition schedule and Covid/the wisdom of crowding into a stadium with who-knows-how-many other athletes. It could be a much smaller parade than we're used to seeing, which is both understandable and a shame, as the parade is usually one of my favourite parts of the ceremony.

I believe the emperor of Japan will still be attending, so that will at least make the ceremony feel suitably prestigious, even though there's hardly anyone going to be there in the stadium.

• Community Moderator
9 hours ago, xrayjets said:

The boots on the other foot now 😃😃😂

the next games are at 6 AM... still too early, but manageable... =D

• Community Moderator
12 hours ago, dmway said:

You did beat France - I can confirm it! 😄 Actually, I wanted to ask you - how much of the normal Men's National Team for Mexico is playing on the Olympic team instead of in the Gold Cup? I've been watching the Gold Cup attentively and recognized most of your team; however, I caught your first Olympic game and saw your regular first-team keeper playing at the Olympics instead - is he the only one or did others choose to play in the Olympics too? The Euro teams and South American teams scheduled their tournaments better; CONCACAF teams (at least the best ones) have to split their attentions between the two competitions (Olympics and Gold Cup, that is)

No one but the high powers at the FMF (our most beloved football ruling body =P) know for sure why some players are on the Gold Cup and why others are on the Olympic team... definitely not a player choice - they wouldn't ever have that power. It's what the FMF says...

bold speculation = Memo Ochoa, goalkeeper, is kinda sorta on the olds dept... so perhaps playing the Olympics was his only chance to be on a national team.

• Thanks 1

• Subscriber
On 7/23/2021 at 2:28 PM, Max Tsukino said:

No one but the high powers at the FMF (our most beloved football ruling body =P) know for sure why some players are on the Gold Cup and why others are on the Olympic team... definitely not a player choice - they wouldn't ever have that power. It's what the FMF says...

bold speculation = Memo Ochoa, goalkeeper, is kinda sorta on the olds dept... so perhaps playing the Olympics was his only chance to be on a national team.

Ah, I see - your FMF has more direct control over which players play where than our ruling body then. For us, it would depend on the player - e.g., Christian Pulisic could pretty much say where and when he wanted to play (he’s playing in pre-season Premier League games instead of the Gold Cup; if we had qualified for the Olympics, I’m sure he would have chosen to go to Tokyo); lower-quality players would happily be on any team where they could have hope for playing time). Yes, I guess Ochoa has been around a while - the Olympics might be the best he can get now. Thanks!

• Like 1

• Subscriber

Now things are getting going...

USA Women's football team rediscovered themselves with a tidy 6-1 victory. I recognized them in this game! 😄

Swimming has started, so medals are starting to roll in - 1 Gold, 2 Silver, and 3 Bronze so far (at the time of this writing; it could be more by the time I check in again). Another Bronze in skateboarding - I never thought I would write those words before! What used to be X-games are now becoming mainstream Olympic games...

• Like 1