• Songs of Surrender Zoo Banner.jpg

2023 Subscriber Gift?

Gieo

• Subscriber
On 1/11/2023 at 8:53 AM, buddyiahn said:

I understand that. I just don't understand why we have to reassure them we want the 2023 gift. That is obvious to us on here, but I suppose it's not for them!

You'd think the system would automatically know that you were a subscriber last year and you re-subscribed this year, thus wanted the 2023 gift. lol

• Subscriber
3 minutes ago, theflymacphisto said:

More vinyls in general, please. Tired of the CD's. 

…and please realize that there are at least just as many people who have no interest at all in vinyl. 

The best way forward would be for us to allow to pick a format in advance. At the time of membership renewal, the site ought to ask, if a gift is an audio gift in any given year, whether one would prefer vinyl or CD (of course, download options would be available with either, in mp3 and WAV). This way, the site would know how much of each to make and end up not shipping non-preferred versions to people who have no interest in having them. This would save a lot of money, both in manufacturing and in shipping. Vinyl is more expensive both to make and to ship; thus, it is rational to offer CDs more often if only one physical format is being released.

I’ve suggested this before; I hope someday it will happen. Hope springs eternal.

• thumbs up 3

• Subscriber
1 minute ago, dmway said:

…and please realize that there are at least just as many people who have no interest at all in vinyl. 

The best way forward would be for us to allow to pick a format in advance. At the time of membership renewal, the site ought to ask, if a gift is an audio gift in any given year, whether one would prefer vinyl or CD (of course, download options would be available with either, in mp3 and WAV). This way, the site would know how much of each to make and end up not shipping non-preferred versions to people who have no interest in having them. This would save a lot of money, both in manufacturing and in shipping. Vinyl is more expensive both to make and to ship; thus, it is rational to offer CDs more often if only one physical format is being released.

I’ve suggested this before; I hope someday it will happen. Hope springs eternal.

Fair point and a good idea. 

• Subscriber
On 1/9/2023 at 3:36 PM, cristiu2 said:

For me this would be the excellent gift. Especially when it's blu-ray. 
Why keep it shelved. It's already edited.

Or at least a streaming link, since I no longer own a blue-ray player...

• Subscriber
On 1/10/2023 at 8:37 PM, Sherry said:

Let's see...Gift Ideas.... seeing as @bigwaveasked...

1. Rattle and Hum DVD to subscribers - it's back in U2's ownership and the DVD has been out of print for years now. Many new(er) fans don't have it on DVD. It's the 35th Anniversary of the film.
2. Audio of the from the 12/14/22 Dublin performance that was recorded last month for an upcoming TV special
3. DVD of Stories of Surrender show for everyone who couldn't get a ticket (or afford a ticket & travel to NYC)
4. It's the 40th anniversary of War - surely there's some stuff from the archives for the fans
5. Access to a downloadable library of archival live shows not available to the public (wouldn't need to be shipped, so cost savings there...and no delays!)
6. What @cristiu2suggested - the Heartland documentary!
7. 30th Anniversary of Zooropa - again, surely there's some stuff from the archives for the fans
8. A Cameo.com link to get a personal message from one of the band members 

I'll leave it at that - I'm sure all of these are pie-in-the-sky anyway!

I had 6 CDs stuck in my player when I traded in my Jeep a few years ago, including the U2 Go Home, Duals, and Zoo live gifts.  Archival streaming content would be great for me, I could create my own play lists! 

• Subscriber

This is, admittedly, a "first world problem." To be fair, not receiving something from a fan site is pretty low on the totem pole of the universe's issues. 

However.... I did pay $50 in January of 2022 for the primary purpose of getting the 2022 Achtung Baby subscriber anniversary gift, which has not yet arrivedand still seems to have no shipping date. I now have 4 days left, IN JANUARY OF 2023, before I have to renew, my membership for another $50, to get the same item I already have been waiting over a year for. So if I renew tomorrow, will a duplicate Achtung Baby gift arrive in 2024? 

This is also not the first time that the old item was still up from a prior year when I have renewed. In fact, that has happened a lot. That is why for some years I have a duplicate item, and then have had to renew at the $75 level the next year to get the one I missed in order to keep my collection current, even though I've had no gap in subscription. That is ridiculous. I have never had this problem with Pearl Jam's 10 Club, which is actually operated by the band.

Again, first world problems, but still... 

• Subscriber
2 hours ago, nbayer said:

This is, admittedly, a "first world problem." To be fair, not receiving something from a fan site is pretty low on the totem pole of the universe's issues. 

However.... I did pay $50 in January of 2022 for the primary purpose of getting the 2022 Achtung Baby subscriber anniversary gift, which has not yet arrivedand still seems to have no shipping date. I now have 4 days left, IN JANUARY OF 2023, before I have to renew, my membership for another $50, to get the same item I already have been waiting over a year for. So if I renew tomorrow, will a duplicate Achtung Baby gift arrive in 2024? 

This is also not the first time that the old item was still up from a prior year when I have renewed. In fact, that has happened a lot. That is why for some years I have a duplicate item, and then have had to renew at the $75 level the next year to get the one I missed in order to keep my collection current, even though I've had no gap in subscription. That is ridiculous. I have never had this problem with Pearl Jam's 10 Club, which is actually operated by the band.

Again, first world problems, but still... 

This happens to me regularly. When my subscription is up for renewal the next years gift hasn't been announced so I would receive a duplicate gift. Normally U2.com would extend your subscription for free. Normally in monthly installments until the new gift gets announced where you will have to resub as normal. My subscription for 2022 expires at the start of Feb 2023. When I asked U2.com to do the same this year they replied with the following:

"Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry we are unable to extend your current paid subscription. I understand your concerns regarding renewal prior to the 2023 subscriber gift announcement. If you renew prior to the 2023 gift announcement, you can simply contact us to be sure your order is updated to the 2023 subscriber gift, even if you receive a second 2022 subscriber gift without additional cost to you."

So, I have renewed now and will inform them to make me eligible for the 2023 gift once announced.

• thumbs up 1

• Subscriber

I renewed my subscription and this is what I was told by a u2.com rep when I requested that I receive the 2023 gift instead of a duplicate of 2022.

"I can confirm that you successfully subscribe for 2023 and you will receive what is currently available (U2 Achtung Baby 30 – Live CD) for your order but once the 2023 gift is announced, we will also be shipping that to you. "

Hope this helps everyone else!