What you dislike about U2?

They just need to mix up their set list, they have so many great songs, the suspense is somewhat dimished....why can't they be like Springsteen, Radioheador Pearl Jam when it comes to this?....this will make U2 fans want to see more than one show...even if they have to fly to another venue.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like they very don't visit Hawai, guys we want your concerts!!!

I don't understand why U2 doesn't visit Hawaii because the islands have fabulous people, weather and scenery.  In fact, if I was in the bandmember's shoes, the Aloha state would be priority where tour stops are concerned.

going sunday @ gillette in boston can't wait, this will be show # 3 for me seeing them. looking at the set lists and especially the encores for the first few shows i am not impressed. any comments from anyone who was in chicago or toronto. i know it will be great but it seems like a lot of new stuff and not much variety in the lists.

• Subscriber

(1) The poorly managed and dull fanclub with no customer services.

(2) The extremely poor functionality of U2.com.

(3) Having to wait so long between albums.

(4) The overblown stage productions.

(5) Lack of new original material.

(6) The revamping or finishing off of 'remaster' material (i.e. mixing 80's vocals with todays)

I guess the biggest thing that's irking me about the band at the moment is nearly every song they write has some strong Christian undertone. I know many oftheir songs from the past have this, but the band hasn't done it so constantly and blatantly like they have on NLOTH. I'd like a bit more diversity inthe subject matter because it's just getting boring. I'd go and buy a Hillsong cd if I wanted to listen to an album full of Christian songs.

I would like to see U2 experiment a lot more with their music again. I know some people claim NLOTH is an experimental album, but apart from a few songs, itreally isn't. I suspect the next album will be a bit more sonically challenging - at least I hope so.

I guess I just want U2 to stop pandering to the mainstream and start sticking their necks out again like they did with Zooropa and Pop. Even if they justrelease an experimental album and don't tour it I'd be happy.

you dont like u2 singing about what they believe in? and i think its time to let go of u2 from the 90's. they will never go back to that irony again.

and if you listen carefull to POP there are a few songs directed at God.

i just think to say you dont like u2 singing about religion, after they have done it for 30 years, is a tad late.

[quote name='MacFoley wrote:

Fortitude']I guess the biggest thing that's irking me about the band at the moment is nearly every song they write has some strong Christian undertone. I know many oftheir songs from the past have this, but the band hasn't done it so constantly and blatantly like they have on NLOTH. I'd like a bit more diversity inthe subject matter because it's just getting boring. I'd go and buy a Hillsong cd if I wanted to listen to an album full of Christian songs.

I would like to see U2 experiment a lot more with their music again. I know some people claim NLOTH is an experimental album, but apart from a few songs, itreally isn't. I suspect the next album will be a bit more sonically challenging - at least I hope so.

I guess I just want U2 to stop pandering to the mainstream and start sticking their necks out again like they did with Zooropa and Pop. Even if they justrelease an experimental album and don't tour it I'd be happy.

you dont like u2 singing about what they believe in? and i think its time to let go of u2 from the 90's. they will never go back to that irony again.

and if you listen carefull to POP there are a few songs directed at God.

i just think to say you dont like u2 singing about religion, after they have done it for 30 years, is a tad late.

A lot of their great songs have Christian undertones, starting w/Streets.....40 days/nights in the desert. Then there's Gloria, Still Haven't Found, Until The End Of The World, One, When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me, God II, One Step Closer, Pride..."one man betrayed w/a kiss.", In God's Country, Yahweh, Wake Up Deadman, Peace On Earth, If God Will Send His Angels, 40. The October album is also great! The title "The Joshua Tree", also came from the Bible. I'm not one of those so-called Bible huggers, but these songs will always be U2 fans' favorites....and NLOTH must add somemore. "You need to be uncool to be cool" - Brian Eno

• Subscriber

I agree, MacFoley.  I find that most of the songs have at least a biblical reference.  I can't imagine being a U2 fan and finding this as well as their dedication to humanitarian issues bothersome.  As they say, "it comes with the dinner!"  HOWEVER, I came across U2 in a church, not as a teenager listening to the radio, so I know a lot of people have a different prespective than I do.  What do I dislike about U2?  Still haven't found...anything to dislike. smile.gif 

Uh oh - looks like I may have upset the God botherers. I find it amusing that some fans can't hack someone having a valid opinion, particularly when it's under a thread titled "What do you dislike about U2?"

Newsflash: The band isn't infallible and Bono is not Jesus Christ.

I take your point BFlorendo. I also made the same point in my post. I didn't say I hate U2's songs - I own all of the band's albums, including their side projects and have been a fan for 22 years. I basically said I'm growing tired of the way the subject matter is being presented at the moment - I have found Bono has repeated old ideas too many times during the 2000s and I haven't found any lyrics on NLOTH to be inspiring at all.

MacFoley - do not confuse irony with playing experimental music that pushes boundaries. Perhaps you have Alanis Morrisette's understanding of the word irony :P And, I know that Pop has a bunch of songs very heavily influenced by Christian themes and I like all of them - Pop is still to date the most played U2 album in my collection. Those songs are all challenging because they deal with faith in crisis and they were presented with the most musically diverse album that the band have ever made.

Peace.