What you dislike about U2?

im not upset fortitude with what you said, just you didnt make any sense saying you dont something about u2 which they have done for years and will continue to do.

and its not all christian messages is it. its humanitrian issues too. WHAT THE BELIEVE IN. nothing wrong with that in my opion.

its like saying oooh i wish rage against the machine would stop singing about political issues and sing about something else. it just wont fit.

if u2 wrote songs about sex, drugs and rock and roll all the time, they would have any need to be around today after 30 years. they do mix up subject matter too. i think you need to study the word irony and u2's 90's period in greater detail my friend........

the lyrics on HORIZON are some of the best lyrics bono has written since POP i think. so really you have a gripe with the lyrics on HORIZON?

maybe you should read the book WALK ON and maybe you will change you mind on your views.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

When it comes to sticking their necks out, in my opinion, that's exactly what they've done with this album. I personally feel it is the most openly Christian album since October, and I give the band a lot of credit for being willing to wear their hearts on their sleeves - politically and spiritually - even knowing that it might upset or alienate some fans who disagree or don't subscribe to the same beliefs, and prefer to just enjoy the music.

If you have seen a show on this tour, you know they are seriously sticking their necks out during SBS with that intro, and it reminds me of Denver during JT.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for these guys for being willing to stand up and say what they believe - whether it's Africa, Burma, Sellafield, Northern Ireland, the Middle East or God. And I think they are going to become even more vocal over the next few years because let's face it - they've reached the point in their careers where they've earned the right to do so.

When it comes to sticking their necks out, in my opinion, that's exactly what they've done with this album. I personally feel it is the most openly Christian album since October, and I give the band a lot of credit for being willing to wear their hearts on their sleeves - politically and spiritually - even knowing that it might upset or alienate some fans who disagree or don't subscribe to the same beliefs, and prefer to just enjoy the music.

If you have seen a show on this tour, you know they are seriously sticking their necks out during SBS with that intro, and it reminds me of Denver during JT.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for these guys for being willing to stand up and say what they believe - whether it's Africa, Burma, Sellafield, Northern Ireland, the Middle East or God. And I think they are going to become even more vocal over the next few years because let's face it - they've reached the point in their careers where they've earned the right to do so.

totally agree with everything you said. but then this album tracy, bono said he wrote most of it in different characters. but the film linear, with the lyrics and the short films, the messages really join up into one story. wheather the songs are about LOVE. the first love you had, rediscovering your first love after losing it. and STAND UP COMEDY! a great song to ride a bike to and travel across and see some of Gods finest creations. thats the impression i got. but as bono said the songs are from different characters. some are from bono's own views about himself like STAND UP, but there you go. seeing as that i dont know what im talking about ill shut up now.............

I agree with Joshthetree :)

Take your point Tracy M - it's kinda what I was getting at in terms of subject matter - I don't mind there being Christian themes through the band's songs - I actually love it in all of the material on Pop because it is confronting and makes you stop and think. It's just that I do not find any lyrics on NLOTH inspiring and I also don't think every single song needs to bang on about God in one way or another. If it floats your boat then great - I'm just starting to find it monotonous. The band's two greatest albums - JT and Achtung only have one or two songs that mostly deal with Christian themes - the rest of the songs on these albums cover diverse issues and that's what makes them great albums in my opinion.

I was talking about wanting the band to stick their necks out again in terms of experimenting with new ideas, sounds etc which MacFoley then decided to take as me wanting the band to use "irony" in their approach to writing songs again - mistakenly confusing the band's use of irony in SOME of its imagery and the way it presented itself during the 90s, with the actual content and muscial innovation of all of their songs during the 90s.

I find it strange how people have automatically jumped to the conclusion that I'm dissing the band's humanitarain work because I don't like the lyrics on the new album. That's complete nonsense.

Some people need to lighten up!! The band may be rock royalty but they certainly aint God's delegates on Earth and they aren't always right in everything they do.

I agree with Joshthetree :)

Take your point Tracy M - it's kinda what I was getting at in terms of subject matter - I don't mind there being Christian themes through the band's songs - I actually love it in all of the material on Pop because it is confronting and makes you stop and think. It's just that I do not find any lyrics on NLOTH inspiring and I also don't think every single song needs to bang on about God in one way or another. If it floats your boat then great - I'm just starting to find it monotonous. The band's two greatest albums - JT and Achtung only have one or two songs that mostly deal with Christian themes - the rest of the songs on these albums cover diverse issues and that's what makes them great albums in my opinion.

I was talking about wanting the band to stick their necks out again in terms of experimenting with new ideas, sounds etc which MacFoley then decided to take as me wanting the band to use "irony" in their approach to writing songs again - mistakenly confusing the band's use of irony in SOME of its imagery and the way it presented itself during the 90s, with the actual content and muscial innovation of all of their songs during the 90s.

I find it strange how people have automatically jumped to the conclusion that I'm dissing the band's humanitarain work because I don't like the lyrics on the new album. That's complete nonsense.

Some people need to lighten up!! The band may be rock royalty but they certainly aint God's delegates on Earth and they aren't always right in everything they do.

"I guess the biggest thing that's irking me about the band at the momentis nearly every song they write has some strong Christian undertone. Iknow many oftheir songs from the past have this, but the band hasn't done it soconstantly and blatantly like they have on NLOTH. I'd like a bit morediversity inthe subject matter because it's just getting boring. I'd go and buy aHillsong cd if I wanted to listen to an album full of Christian songs."

"Take your point Tracy M - it's kinda what I was getting at in terms ofsubject matter - I don't mind there being Christian themes through theband's songs"

ok fort, this is 2 quotes you came out with. a couple of days ago you said the biggest thing that is irking you is the band is nearly writing about Christian issues. then you say i dont mind there being Christian themes. all within a couple of days? what has changed?

(i dont want to argue with you, just now your confusing me) how can you say its irking you to now you dont have a problem?

and thats your opion, fair enough good for you. but explain how you changed your irk in a couple of days? oh and i never had a problem and i have always been lightened up............................you are the one getting flustered here eh?

hee hee this is brilliant......ok my 2 pence for what its worth.

u2 have always been a religious band (well i don't count adam as part of the band...lol)

stands to reason that they will right songs about the beliefs they have do i like it no not really im into the music not the meaning.

Bono could write about masturbating in the toilet but as long as it was a decent tune i would not care.

everything Macfoley says here is true and i agree with it all.

Fortitude you have changed your tune over this discussion and really Macfoley makes a great discussion on here.