• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

prksoda00 wrote:

Soda wrote:

tacosontheceiling wrote:

Most of them have awful taste in music these days,

To be fair older people have awful taste in music too.

Good point. The Eagles have a MASSIVE fanbase

roll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gifroll.gif

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!! BRILLIANT (and all this time I thought Roman and I were the lone Eagle-haters here)!!!!!

To respond to the person worried about U2's legacy, I think their legacy is pretty secure at this point (The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby alone pretty muchiced that); one album not living up to commercial expectations doesn't wipe out the previous 25-30 years. I mean, in my opinion, I don't feel theStones have put out a great album since Exile on Main Street (tho Some Girls was okay and Steel Wheels had a few decent songs I thought even if the productionwas a bit slick), but I think they still deserve their position as being one of rock's great bands...

• Subscriber

Hello zootops. Look, my two cents on this issue, is that it does matter. We can put our hands in our ears and say, "who cares about charts" or"all I care is that I enjoy it", but the fact is, the more commercial success the band has; the quicker and more music that will come from them.Therefore we win. So, yes, we should cheer for more success. and Yes, we ought t be disappointed with the the current results for NLOTH (sales speaking) and weshould want 18 year olds to be voting "Magnificent" on MTV.

• Subscriber

joshthetree wrote:

they don't seem particularly arsed with anything any more. album cover already used by someone else stick an equals sign on it to make it different, took five years to make and was hyped to bits by everyone including the band - but didn't deliver or live up to the hype for many fans, boots is below average b-side material (although I raved about it at the time), magnificent is pretty average too, it's all about marketing (or not ref Magnificent single), somethings not right when your producers are co-writing material, back lash was bound to happen it always does, the new mnaterial is not exciting when you compare it with some of the younger bands out these days.

that said Breathe and No Line are two stunning songs, but not worth the five year wait, i'm hungry for more new U2 material now - not in another 5 years

It appears the boys really stuffed up here. They should have followed the model all those other 30 year old bands that stayed togeher andcontinued to write great music and sell out concert upon concert and push boundaries eyes.gif

• Subscriber

There have been some really good points made on this subject which have enlightened me to the depth of the current situation, I'm not going to add alotmore value to this discussion only to say that the publicity surrounding the album, singles and upcoming tour is non-existant at the moment which should be areal concern for the record company in the current econimic climate.

I have also got to confess that I have laid off the album for the best part of a month and, although I think it's their most interesting collection ofsongs for a long time there really isn't that much innovation on the album. It seems that a lot of effort has gone into making the intros different toanything they have done before but the actual songs remain the same (Lambs in Wolfs clothing?). Having said that I will reserve total judgement until after thetour begins, I remember Achtung Baby being an absolute non-sense until Zoo TV kicked off.

Whatever happens, U2 have given me the soundtrack to my life over the past couple of decades and I thank them for it. Legendary status has been well and trulycemented and is fully deserved.

kings wrote:

They should have followed the model all those other 30 year old bands that stayed togeher

Yes.

kings wrote:

and continued to write great music

No.

kings wrote:
and sell out concert upon concert

Yes.

kings wrote:
and push boundaries
eyes.gif

No.

2 out of 4 ain't bad.

• Subscriber

jaimearodriguez wrote:

Hello zootops. Look, my two cents on this issue, is that it does matter. We can put our hands in our ears and say, "who cares about charts" or "all I care is that I enjoy it", but the fact is, the more commercial success the band has; the quicker and more music that will come from them.

Not so sure; I'm not in the record industry but I don't think the speed they record or the frequency of their output has much if anything to do withtheir chart performance; the two I think are mutually exclusive. Chart performance could possibly affect how many singles you see from the album tho (thereforeI guess it would affect how many b-side remixes of Get On Your Boots we get. ha ha). What could be affected is how much autonomy the record company gives thembut even then, U2 has amassed so much capital and goodwill over their career I think the record company would probably let them do what they want regardless ofhow they fare on the charts, just because there's a certain prestige that comes with having U2 on your label (Bruce Springsteen has said he wanted to besigned to Columbia Records because he wanted to be on the same label as Bob Dylan, for example. Columbia knows other people feel this way, which is a goodexplanation on why they allow Dylan his various eccentricities)

I just read an article--no idea if it is accurate or not--that speculates U2 (among other artists) is the target of nasty radio station revenge. The storyalleges stations pulled "Boots" and are boycotting others' music in retaliation for Bono and others having come out in support of stations payingroyalties to performers whose music is given airplay.

If true, this is nothing more than an extremely vicious (and very effective) "We 'own' you and we can f*ck you" slap in the face to theperformers. Such an ugly industry...

All the more reason for (and testimony to) the band members' decisions to diversify into other areas other than strictly mainstream rock. Good on them.

• Subscriber

Whilst I quite like the album, I don't think it is as good as we expected. I also wonder if it is as good as the band expected it should have been, if theydid I think they would be playing eight or nine songs from it in the 360 your rather than five.

I am not really looking forward to Songs of Ascent because I can't help but think it will be songs that weren't good enough for NLOTH.

That said I think there will be a revival of interest once the tour starts in a couple of weeks.

As for Magnificent one of our local stations 96FM play it fairly frequently, maybe so they can claim to be the only station in the world that plays it and thususe it as a reason to convince U2 to come to Perth.