edge guitar sound?

andywatt

good to see the new site at last eh? i thought i'd continue the post from the last one aimed at anyone who plays guitar and is after 'that u2'sound? impossible some would say.......but at least we can have a go at it........

i'm sure not many of us on here can afford to go buying the vintage amps/effects that edge uses, but there are some great pedals and amps around that canget you somewhere close to that magic tone and chiming echo. It would be good to hear from anyone else out there who's had a go at replicating some ofedges sound, and sharing some of that knowledge !

i use a vox valvetronix 30w amp which i bought second hand ( about £120 ), it has an amp simulator knob which allows you to choose between a few different amptypes including the ac30 that i think edge favours? ( his dates back to the 60's, but as i think he's mentioned himself its like the road sweeper whoshad the same brush for 30 years......its only had 25 different heads and 17 different handles in that time? )so most of the electrics will be new

i also use a marshall echohead, which is brilliant and has some great vintage sounding echo effects that come in really useful when trying to play earlier u2material. i combine it with a boss dd6 delay and play them together.....the echohead for the long delay, and the boss with a shorter delay time, then i have amarshall compressor, a chorus pedal and finally a tremelo pedal.

ive played around with that set-up for the past few months and got some nice u2 sounds

anyone else out there had any success finding a good sound?

if you have, please share!

all you need is a red guitar, three chords, the truth, a vox, an echohead, a boss dd6, a marshall chorus, compression, tremelo pedal.........and alot ofpractice

Andy, maybe you can answer my question, which I actually started a thread about since I want to know so much! You sound as if you might be one who can:

I am listening to the song NLOTH, which I love more and more every time I hear it and already died once over it on the first listening! I want to know what ismaking that very very cool, funky but hard-to-describe twangy-waahhhaa sound in the background. You hear it for the first time following the line "...shesaid infinity is a great place to start," which is a perfect moment for this sound to be introduced, and it lives with the song for most of its remainder.

Is that a guitar effect? I would be very appreciative to any of you more technical music types who can answer this. Thanks!

i wish i could help you out there, the edge doesn't make it easy !

it sounds like several different sounding guitar tracks layered on that song.....ive no idea how it would sound live, or even if it would be possible to playlive?

i'm only just figuring out how to achieve some of the tones from the 80's u2.......i'll be an old man before i start this one. I wish the boffinsat BOSS could produce an 'edge' pedal, i think it would be a huge seller........and save us all alot of time figuring this stuff out

sorry i cant help you more!

andy

andywatt wrote:

i wish i could help you out there, the edge doesn't make it easy !

it sounds like several different sounding guitar tracks layered on that song.....ive no idea how it would sound live, or even if it would be possible to play live?

i'm only just figuring out how to achieve some of the tones from the 80's u2.......i'll be an old man before i start this one. I wish the boffins at BOSS could produce an 'edge' pedal, i think it would be a huge seller........and save us all alot of time figuring this stuff out

sorry i cant help you more!

andy

Thanks, Andy. So, you do think that sound is a guitar effect? That was all I really wanted to know, whether guitar or something else. Good luck with yourgrooves!

• Subscriber

hiya thanks for sharing edges guitar sound,i play guitar and edge is my hero and want to sound like him the best i can on a budget.

i have a vox mini practice amp DA5 which is a cool little amp ideal for practice to help with your edge sound.

i also use a marshall echo head delay pedal which is a cool pedal which is really good as you say for early U2.

sometimes i do use my zoom multi effects but at the moment im getting some nice U2 sounds from my new little vox and my echohead,especially for sunday bloodysunday and all i want is you and streets........ and of course plenty of practice !!!! my guitar is a westfield les paul type guitar which is suitable for U2stuff,it s a nice guitar.image

Edge's guitar on NLOTH is awesome.imageimage

• Subscriber

Hi Andy ,

I have been playing in a u2 tribute band in the U.K for the last 7-8 months , and in that time we have built up a catalogue of about 35-40 u2songs spanning from the first album up to get on your boots.

I have to say that so far i have had no problems in recreating Edges sound using a Line 6 pod xt live , it is a fantastic bit of kit .

I think the type of guitar is also quite important depending on the song.

cheers Andysmile.gif