Coming to Ireland for 1st time...help

Guest Dustin

Guest Dustin

We are coming for the concert on the 25th, but are spending another week there...what do we HAVE to do, and where do we HAVE to stay. Want to do a fewtouristy things, but mostly want to mix with the locals all over Ireland. Any help would be great!

• Subscriber

Hey,

I am originally from a town called carrickfergus in northern ireland. If you are planning on gooing to the north, which i would suggest, there is a 16thcentury castle right on the water in carrickfergus, look up carrickfergus castle on the net.

Also, the north coast is amazing! The giants causeway is a must see, a true wonder of the world, can also check that out on net. They have day tours orovernights leaving from belfast.

While in belfast, take one of the tours that covers the troubles, It is a very complex issue that unless you grow up in that atmosphere is very hard tounderstand. A lot of fingerpointing and wrongs done on both sides but a tour is sure to give you an understanding of the depth of the problems. I would suggesttaking a tour that is neutral as both sides of the fence offer one sided tours.

hope this helps

Paul

Going to toronto 1 and 2

Hi, I'm going to Dublin too. I have the same questions that my friend has. I'd like to know if the distance between the cities are long, of it'spossible to take a train for example and go and return to Dublin in the same day. I will be for a week in Ireland and the concert is in the middle of my week.

Thanks for advices

Caro

• Subscriber

I'm not Irish, but I've spent about half my time in Dublin for the last couple of years, with my tourist eyes I would recommend you go west, the Ringof Kerry and the Dingle Penninsula, they have one of the most beautiful landscapes in Europe, you can stay in Killarney, a pinturesque village which is in theNational Park, this will take you about 3 days, so you will have time to visit Dublin. If you don't want to travel so much, there are some beautiful placesaround the capital, about 40 km. north, near Drogheda, you'll find Tara Hill and Newgrange, Newgrange is spectacular, a tunnel-tomb system from about 6000years ago (yes, 1000 years before Sakara pyramid in Egypt), it is also the biggest burial prehistoric placement found in the world, all the visits are guided,so you will understand its meaning, about 38 km. southwards, in County Wicklow, you'll find Glendalough, a mediaeval archeological site placed in abeautiful surrounding with two lakes, you can go there by bus, the stop is in Kildare St., just off St. Stephen's Green, Kildare (the village) is alsointeresting. Anyway, the best you can do is visit the Tourist Information Office in Suffolk St., it's near the Trinity College and just round the cornerfrom Nude's (Bono's brother restaurant), they will help you with everything, they also organise day-trips to the most interesting places around.

Oh, I almost forgot, I'm going to the 25th gig too!

The Cliffs of Moher are a must see really but I´ll limit to give you tips from a foreigner point of view.

Do not make plans considering distance only. And what I mean by that is traffic can be pretty intense and the jorneys can take longer than you expected. Try totravel outside rush hours.

If you are to rent a car watch the curb (kerb) on your left (regularly look at the right mirror) and remember your body always have to be in the middle ofroad.

If you are to take buses do not assume there will be a bus leaving to your destination every hour. Check the timetable beforehand.

Be ready to explain two to three times the intent of your visit to Ireland when you pass by Immigration. They can ask it several times to spot the ones who arecoming here to stay ilegally. Be prompt to show your return ticket, your hotel reservation and the amount of money you have.

Mixing with the Irish is a piece of cake. Go to non-touristic pubs and start a conversation by commenting on the weather. The weather is the most popularsubject matter and you cannot go wrong by talking about it.

The best way to tour in Dublin is walking.

If you visit Galway and want to drink Guinness go to Murphy´s at Hight Street. They serve the best Guinness in town. Wait for Guinness to settle before youdrink it if you don´t want to look too clueless. And order a pint not a glass if you are a man.

If you are walking at a crowded street say ´sorry´ not ´excuse me´ if someone is in your way.

Common sense is probably more important here than anywhere else as people tend not to show their discontent.

Try fish & chips and seafood chowder! Chips (french fries) are gigantic and delicious in Ireland. If you are out and want something quick and inexpensiveget a chicken and mushroom pie at a supermarket or mini market such as Centra or Spar (or kidney pie if you like kidney).

If you are a smoker bring plenty of cigarettes. Here you will find the maximum you can bringhttp://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/customs_regulations_for_travellers

A pack costs 7.50 Euro. An alternative is to buy tobbaco, papers and filter and make you own. People will not think you are smoking illegal subtances. However,they say that quitting while you are abroad is easier than when you are at home, so there you go...

There are plenty of places to stay in Dublin just depends on your budget from places like day's hotel http://www.dayshotelparkwest.com/ (direct bus into City Cntr) OR The Holiday Inn http://www.holidayinndublin.ie/ (which is pretty much in the heart of the City and close to all that is U2 related,

If i were you i'd go probably for Holiday Inn - from there you can visit HQ (U2 recording studios) it's also walking distance from City Cntr and placeslike U2's hotel The Clarence, also Sandymount Strand which has featured a lot in U2 Photos - most recently NLOTH, also Grand Canal Dock also the scene ofmany U2 Photo shoot's & Video's, also while here i suggest you see Kilmainham Gaol, U2 filmed the video for Celebration inside here, then you canvisit the famous (but not the same) Dandelion Market site (now a Bar) where U2 first started out playing in the carpark, or just a stones throw away CaptainAmerica's in Grafton St where U2 once famously had a BAND meeting to decide weather or not to SACK Paul McGuinness many years ago (it's still going)Stephens Green is also right opposite (where Bono & Edge were seen Walking their LAMBS after being given the FREEMEN of the city award), then there isMerchants Arch in Temple Bar & the Halpenny Bridge (also famous places for U2 photo shoots) a little shop there sells U2 related posters & others bitsU2'ish and on Saturday & Sunday a market in Temple Bar Square has a stall that sells rare U2 thingy's -

(SORRY IF IM GOING ON HERE.....roll.gif)

Hope this is of some use to you...

There are lot's more U2 things to do - but just now my mind is gone asleep... if you need to know anymore let me know, i'll do my best.

See you in Dub :)

-g-

• Subscriber

hiya... I'm was born n' bred in Belfast, so obviously I'd advise seeing as much of Northern Ireland as possible. Someone already mentioned going toCarrickfergus and The Giant's Causeway... both great places. I go to the Giant's Causeway every time I go home! I'd also go to Belfast Castle andthe Cavehill. Driving the Antrim Coast is beautiful.

And, definatley get some fish and chips... and choclate - galaxy bars are yummy! If you like tea, you'll enjoy it there... or maybe you are more of a beerperson, which you will find plenty of. wink.gif

Seeing U2 in Ireland is the best- enjoy!

• 9 months later...

I love all the U2 sites to be seen Gary-Paul!  I am going to Ireland for the first time next week (St Pattys) and I thought this forum would be a great place to find U2 tips.  Of course I would love to bump into Bono at a pub, but we only have 3 days in Dublin at both ends of the trip (touring the south).  Do you know if their recording studio is open to the public?

Any other ideas so I can get my U2 fill over 10 glorious days?  Can't wait for the tour this summer, going to both shows in LA happy.gif

Thanks!

• Subscriber

I'm curious... what would your minimium cost estimate be for a trip to Ireland from the U.S. I know that there are a huge number of variables. Anyone that has been somewhat recently or is going, want to give an estimate range? I don't travel much so just looking for a rough estimate.