Go Crazy the next single

interu2005

• Subscriber
A little comparison for the fun of it;
U2 has had 22 Grammys while Springsteen has only had a "paltry" 19. Though he also has 2 Golden Globes and an Academy award to U2's one Golden Globe. For now. I truly see U2 or at least Bono and Edge writing more and more for other projects in the future. I'm also wondering how they'll do with writing the music for the Broadway musical Spiderman. How cool would it be for them to add a Tony to their collection of awards? A nice little feather in their already heavily awarded cap. :P
U2 has had 2 #1 singles, while Springsteen hasn't had any #1's. The closest he came was #2 with Dancing In The Dark.
On the flipside; Springsteen has had 7 #1 Albums, 1 #2, and 4 #3. I can only count 5 #1 Albums from U2 (but that's off the top of my head and I could be wrong here) and a couple of them only debuted at #1 but then fell fast off the charts after (Pop, NLOTH) and I'm not certain how long Springsteen's stayed in the #1 position either.
Springsteen was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999 by none other than... Bono. He was also inducted into the Songwriter Hall Of Fame in 1999 as well.
U2 was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame in 2005 by... Springsteen.
How cute is that? Both speeches given about the other were wonderfully written and delivered.
There's a healthy respect between these artists for one another. Bono loved Springsteen from afar in the 70s when he was younger and then hearing about this new band out of Ireland, Springsteen personally attended U2 gigs when U2 was just coming up and playing small clubs. And they've been supporters of each other and by their admission; friends ever since. Great pics here:
u2_strip3b_ab_y.jpg
10440004_72f1e0ef2d_o.jpg
I just love those old pictures. :P
U2 and Springsteen have been showing up and playing at each others gigs for years. Love the version of Stand By Me done in Philly on the JT tour. Look it up on YouTube if you've never seen it. Great performance. We Philly fans were treated to another appearance of Springsteen on the Vertigo Tour in October showing up with his wife Patti Scailfa for an awesome performance of People Get Ready. From our show:
54450632_2fa4a77538.jpg?v=0
54450093_7bde012ee4.jpg?v=0
I really don't know actual numbers of sold out tours and such but I'd bet it's pretty comparable.
Just seeing a whole lot of even-ness here. Maybe I'm missing something?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pics girl...love them...again I have mucho admiration for the boss...not that into his music, but lots of respect!

He is way bigger on the East Coast then West....we are about the same age (40), at my high school on the west coast there were no hard core "brucefans"....Im sure there were where you live. (Close to Jersey)

and I think Ive heard of that Saxaphone guy!! (teeeheee)

Cheers!

• Subscriber

Yeah, I love those pics too. They all look so young!

Well maybe that was how it was back in your high school, however, in this day and age Springsteen is as popular as U2 is. And actually, during my high schoolyears, U2 wasn't all that well known. Springsteen had already achieved his worldwide fan following because of the Born in the USA album which shot him toworldwide fame. The MTV videos helped quite a bit. I guess you have to take into consideration Bono talking about liking Springsteen back in the 70s whileliving all the way in Ireland says quite a bit, don't you think?

About the names of band members; much to my surprise, many people can only name Bono and Edge as memebers of U2 when asked and haven't a clue who Larry orAdam is. Wasn't it Larry who made a joke about even his family gets him confused with Adam or something along those lines? LOL

• Subscriber

Yeah, I love those pics too. They all look so young!

Well maybe that was how it was back in your high school, however, in this day and age Springsteen is as popular as U2 is. And actually, during my high schoolyears, U2 wasn't all that well known. Springsteen had already achieved his worldwide fan following because of the Born in the USA album which shot him toworldwide fame. The MTV videos helped quite a bit. I guess you have to take into consideration Bono talking about liking Springsteen back in the 70s whileliving all the way in Ireland says quite a bit, don't you think?

About the names of band members; much to my surprise, many people can only name Bono and Edge as memebers of U2 when asked and haven't a clue who Larry orAdam is. Wasn't it Larry who made a joke about even his family gets him confused with Adam or something along those lines? LOL

Scott Montes wrote:

Only on the East Coast (Northeast) is Bruce as big as U2...in other area's of the country, and around the world, they are not at the same level

Really not threatened...just reality...as much as I respect "The Bruce"....

Can anyone name a member of the "Eaststreet Band"???? (probably not, this proves our point)

Cheers from the West Coast!!

Steve Van Zandt. But then I thought everyone's hear of Steve. (and I'm from the midwest.) Bruce is fairly big here to, he sold out a show in myhometown, so don't know where you live, but kay.

Oh Clarence, Patti, and lets not forget Bruce.

I hear Springsteen on the radio alot more than I hear U2 as well.

Scott Montes wrote:

Only on the East Coast (Northeast) is Bruce as big as U2...in other area's of the country, and around the world, they are not at the same level

Can anyone name a member of the "Eaststreet Band"???? (probably not, this proves our point)

Steve Van Zandt. But then I thought everyone's hear of Steve. (and I'm from the midwest.) Bruce is fairly big here to, he sold out a show in myhometown, so don't know where you live, but kay.

Scott Montes wrote:

Scott Montes wrote:

Scott Montes wrote:

Scott Montes wrote: