"Re-Start and Reboot Yourself..."

censoredally

Hi. I have been reading a lot of reviews that are slamming this lyric--quite a few saying it ruins an otherwise decent song [unknown Caller]. Same with"force quit and move to trash."

I do not have a problem with these lyrics at all, and think they speak to a generation of people who are largely tied up and into the whole, unreal digitalsocial media space with all of its problems (and there are many) and its opportunities. Certainly it is a new paradigm, that the rest of society is going tohave to come to grips with. I can't help but suspect that these reviewers are still expressing a bit of "old-schoolishness" and do not yet quitegrasp the new world we are moving into--for better or for worse. My sense is since there is no denying the reality of the present, best to set about figuringout how to make it as positive and evolution-inducing as possible.

What do you guys think? Do you have any thoughts on these lyrics?

no, i dont hate the lyrics... or dislike the lyrics. i could care less how fancy the lyrics are. its a good song, good message... i could care less if itscheesy or whatnot.

and yeah, im a massive new order fan, too.. who's songwriter writes the most spastic and off the wall, and the most cheesy, nonsensical lyrics, and imtelling you.. i love it like that, too. however, you havent heard cheesy till you've heard some of their stuff, lol..

but, no, i dont hate any of u2's new album lyrics. or the lyrics to this song. who cares what journalists say. people lack the ability to read between thelines, too.

I really enjoy this song--it has a very complex mixture of anguish--in the lyrics and in the militaristic chanting, as if the communication medium hasbecome a tyrant--but it also has these wonderful (are they organs?) and uplifting sweeps that hold promise and renewal (and not jsut of one's sitemembership! :D ) Unknown is one of my favorite works off this album. And I love the "sunshine...sunshine" lead in--almost sounds plantive, as ifbegging for the light to be allowed in.

How else is a lyricist supposed to convey the image of a fella going crazy thinking his computer is talking to him, if it doesn't sound like one wouldassume a computer speaks? (weird sentence, I know) Jeez, I better delete my copy of Radiohead's "Fitter, Happier".

come to think of it, 2001 would be so much better if H.A.L. was a hologram that sounded like John Cleese.

(Sarcasm)

trickywicket
wrote:

How else is a lyricist supposed to convey the image of a fella going crazy thinking his computer is talking to him, if it doesn't sound like one would assume a computer speaks?

Is this what this song is supposed to be about? Ahhh...I did not know that and interpreted it differently (funny how we all do this, eh? ). I thought thelyrics were referring to actual online communication with others and the failure, desire, success, or hope for success at doing so--but mostly the failure.

If what you say is correct, then maybe he has some idea of how fans who think he is talking to them specifically in his songs feel! laugh.gif Collective consciousness, non-verbal communication, empathy across airwaves asforms of communicating are all fine and good (and I believe actually exist), but without something tangible to root that communication in: i.e. an actualface-to-face confirmation, the whole enterprise is rife with the risk of madness and falling into wishful thinking! It is why social networking, onlinefriends, digital love affairs, etc...--and the culture these are defining--is so tricky and significant as a social development. And not necessarily a positivedevelopment. As much as I love the digital innovations, I still want my world rooted in the organic analog!

Ok, so the interpretation you offer adds food for thought. Thanks!

Laugh Outloud! It would be so interesting to actually know what the singer is really going on about in his lyrics, so that one could see how close or far-awayone really is from what he is saying! By the same token, really great art offers one an almost endless canvas of interpretation, suited to each and everyviewer and listener.

• Subscriber

LifeFactory wrote:

trickywicket
wrote:

How else is a lyricist supposed to convey the image of a fella going crazy thinking his computer is talking to him, if it doesn't sound like one would assume a computer speaks?

Is this what this song is supposed to be about? Ahhh...I did not know that and interpreted it differently (funny how we all do this, eh? ). I thought the lyrics were referring to actual online communication with others and the failure, desire, success, or hope for success at doing so--but mostly the failure.

Pretty sure this is NOT what he's talking about but great artists have multiple interpretations of their work.

I believe this song is about death and the bands interpretation of the immediate afterlife but I may be off base too.

NO idea what it really is about the song but I love it both lyrics and the chorus and the Edge sunshine sunshine and ... It's just cool with the contrastof the human voice = Bono and then the chorus is sung like more "orders" but aren't they are very kind and totally contradictive orders ? :) anda bit funny cos it's "- - - shout for joy! if you get the chance - - - hear ME! cease to speak! - - - don't move or say a thing! - - - " thenalso "rise up .... GO!" Isn't someone in authority who says: do what the f. you WANT! think for YOURSELVES and believe in yourselves don'tbother me so much with things you well can find out yourselves ! :) but kindly ? :) I just felt like randoming too :) One of my best subjects.

Nefertite wrote:

think for YOURSELVES and believe in yourselves don't bother me so much with things you well can find out yourselves

Laugh out loud! I might be inclined to say something like this if I were he!

PS--cute, Nefertiti that you use "random" as a verb! :D

LifeFactory wrote:

Nefertite wrote:

think for YOURSELVES and believe in yourselves don't bother me so much with things you well can find out yourselves

Laugh out loud! I might be inclined to say something like this if I were he!

PS--cute, Nefertiti that you use "random" as a verb!
:D

:) great to make someone laugh :)