My Review of No Line on the Horizon

eurotrash

First of all, I remain a fan and will dutifully watch the 5 nights on Letterman this week and wish the lads all the success with this album - however, this cdis a HUGE disappointment for me. Warning sings should have been the release of "Boots" as a single - having heard the remainder of the album, I knowwhy...it's the only song that sounds even close to finished. I get where U2 are in their career - eyeing Oscars and Tony Awards, let's face it,what's left ? But I feel that this has set the musical context to NLOTH...the ENo inspired synthy middle 8s are awful...but I find myself cringing at quitea few things : Bono's rambling lyrics - his "consciousness" on "Moment" (?!?!) - nauseating moment, his unpolished vocals - what'swith that falsetto on the second line of "Crazy"...if you caqn't pull it off, DON'T INCLUDE IT !! Edge's guitar in some instances isunlistenable - the solos in "Breathe" and "Caller" - unprocessed, stlysitically not like him...having seen some footage of the Fez sessionsin Daniel Lanois' "This Is What Is" I am blown away that the energetic clips of "Caller" have been replaced by the tepid, half spokenvocals presented on the cd. The mock horns in "Caller" sound like MIDI data...as they do in "Crazy". And really, why does Larry even showup these days ? The loops they must have from the Howie B POP sessions can't have been much different from what he has laid down here...no wonder he looksbored out of his mind in every clip. Only Adam seems to have it together...every note where it should be. It's the songs that let me down...no cheek orattitude, no sass, no edge. It all started with "Hands That Built America", rolled through "Electrical Storm" and end with this...Ugh...ifthis had been one year in the making, I could go easier but this was brewing for 4 years with a ton of talented people involved and, for me, it is the worst U2cd ever. Just when the world needed SOMEONE to release a killer rock album, God knows the Killers, Snow Patrol, Keane and Coldplay all failed, so haveU2...let me games begin.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Subscriber

I agree. I love this album. It is totally different than any other album and that's what's great about it. It is not "poppy" - I find it

"rocky". I think people really have to listen to the songs over and over. Give it a chance!

Eurotrash - unfortunately, and sadly, I agree with your commentary. Eno has finally taken the band, as I've feared for a long time, to a place I dreadedmost - too much material that is not good enough for the live show. Until now, the band, to their credit, have managed to apply the emergency brake with Enoand keep him at bay. But not this time. His infatuation with ambience and anti-live directions have bogged down this album. Aside from "Breathe" -which is credible - I struggle to find any material on this record that will shake the Earth when U2 play live. "Boots"? Please...what a disaster.Where was Mr. Chief Justice of U2's Final Product - Mr. Mullen, Jr - to overrule this mistake? This is the same guy who apparently felt "Mercy"didn't belong on HTDAAB and drove that to B-side Heaven. I'm startiing to really question his judgement, btw.

Look, I hope I am dead wrong and have to eat a big helping of crow. But I've listened to this record, something I was pumped to hear, about twenty timesnow. And after every listen - some straight through in order, some my own shuffle - I come away more confused and more sad.

Have to totally agree with you Eurotrash, this would have to be the most boring album of U2 I own and its just a shame that the place of purchase didn'toffer refunds as I would surely take this offer up.

Where have they gone and seriously this is not a rocking album but a collection of songs fit for a 50 story building for a lift to go up and down.

These songs would do nothing more than put you to sleep if played live, thank their god they are only in there mid 40's and we might actually get what wehave come to expect from U2 over the last 30 years. Agree Breathe is the only song that rises to something that U2 are capable of.

Lets be honest here, I am sure even the fans (as I am) who say that this album takes a few listens as I have tried I really have to say this is justdisappointing to say the least. I have been looking forward to getting this album as I always do but this album will not be on much more rotation as I havelistened to all I can bear.

A fan since pre War days (and still a fan) but not of this album Sorry......