Jump to content

Alma1

Subscriber
  • Content Count

    2,225
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Posts posted by Alma1


  1. Alma1 -

     

    Saying that U2 were only famous because of Bono is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in my life. What about Edge's guitar style? Or Adam and Larry's talents? Are you saying that Bono's the only member of the band with any talent? If so, then you really need to relisten to some of their music. Without Larry, U2 wouldn't even have formed!

     

    I'm with Basher, U2 have lost fans who are bored sick of Bono preaching 60% of the time.

     

    And here we go again about 'real' U2 fans! You're just like that Arngrim guy who came along last year going on about how anyone who didn't like a particular thing that U2 were doing wasn't a true fan to begin with. There are no 'true' U2 fans. There are only U2 fans.

     

    Bono is not a hero. He's a singer. He is a musician in a band, so he should really be spending more time with the band and less time with the politicians - right now the situation is vice versa.

    peterferris8: You said "What about Edge's guitar style?" Of Course. Edge's guitar style is 1/2 of what made U2 UNIQUE & AWESOME. The Other Half Is Bono. Before U2, No One had Ever sounded like them before. As far as Edge's guitar-playing: I heard & recognized the awesome Phenomenon & total Uniqueness of his guitar-playing in U2's instrumentation the 1st time I was exposed to them in 1983. In fact, for years I couldn't understand why more people didn't hear that in their instrumentation like I did. Well the world caught up, didn't they. At that time, I didn't try to deconstruct & explain what part of the instrumentation it was or exactly what it was about how it was played - but I Definitely recognized it as UNIQUE & a total phenomenon-of-a-lifetime.

     

    No Offense Whatsoever meant to Adam's great bass-playing & Larry's great drum-playing. And of Course we all have Larry to thank for putting that flier up on their school bulletin board 'back when.' And the diversity of the bandmembers makes U2 Strong. I have believed that for years now.

     

    But U2 would NOT EVER have become the band it did Without Bono. Not even debatable. I think there could have been a different great bassist & a different great drummer - but I know 1 thing for absolute sure: U2 would NOT be Great without Edge & Bono - they are to U2 what Paul McCartney & John Lennon were to the Beatles (not saying they have the exact same roles). The band would NOT have been the once-in-a-lifetime, 1st-time-ever-done, Unique phenomenon that it is w/out Bono & Edge. They are what make U2 as Special as it Is.

     

    I would never say you're not a 'true' U2 fan. We are All U2 fans & have that in common: our love of U2! But you're wrong about Bono not being a hero. He VERY much is. As far as losing fans, well what did You pay to be here for then? Wow - the LARGEST and the GREATEST band on Planet Earth supposedly doesn't have fans. Or they're disappearing or some such. I'm sure U2 is shaking in their boots w/fear. As far as u not being able to deal w/so-called "politics," just leave it up to the big boys. Like Bono - And me (even though I'm a girl) - And tons of their fans who LOVE that aspect of U2 & Bono - & Love being involved in it. It's why many like me became their fans-for-life in the 1st place - that Combined w/Edge's guitar-playing. bono_happy.gifedge_happy.giflarry_happy.gifadam_happy.gif

  2. [quote name='basher1 wrote:


    Sigma957']I rarely sign petitions anymore. And Amnesty International can suck it for thinking its a good idea that Americans can't exercise their second ammendment rights.

     

    Tools.

     

    rant/

    Same goes for the European Court of Human Rights total joke they are.

     

    Not understanding you here. So...now we shouldn't have human rights standards? Or courts to at least Try to enforce standards for them?


  3. I rarely sign petitions anymore. And Amnesty International can suck it for thinking its a good idea that Americans can't exercise their second ammendment rights.

     

    Tools.

     

    rant/

    I know that Amnesty International thinks it should not be easier to buy AK-47s, etc, internationally than to buy bananas internationally. Is that what you're referring to? (Those arms kill civilians. Such arms-dealers need to be reigned in.)

  4. [quote name='basher1 wrote:


    Alma1 wrote:

    basher1']

     

    Agreed, i really think u2 have lost many fans and many more potential fans because people were/are sick and tired of Bono banging on about it all as Billy Connolly once said about Sting and can be used the same with Bono "pick up your f'ing guitar and get back to work".

     

    I think he has done more harm than good with regards to the band and yeah he may be passionate about it but he's not have been able to do it without being a member of u2.....Musician first in my opinion.

    Hi Gibbo: I want to be sure you know the comment below is for Basher. You & I have gotten to know each other better & I understand you! But I don't know Basher or understand him so...

     

    Basher: Hello. Just sayin' - Funny how I know all about Sting & his music - but never heard of Billy Connolly. (I don't know - maybe I should have? Maybe I'll find out he's someone famous I should have known about & I'll be embarrassed. But for now...I don't remember hearing of him before.) I also know U2. Massively. And Your music? Sincerely asking: Should I know it? I'm serious - no offense if you're a musician, but I'm just making a point that I think should be kind of obvious, so I won't waste your time trying to explain it or spell it out. As far as you thinking U2 have lost "many" fans, etc because of Bono being a decent human being & a Hero: Where's your evidence of their fans supposedly disappearing? Get real. And anyone who Would stop being a U2 fan over Bono being a Hero was never a real U2 fan to begin with - & never 'Got' them to begin with. Good riddance. It's not as if The World's Largest Band can't afford to lose a few so-called 'fans' who don't really 'get' U2 anyways & do nothing but whine & complain about them anyways.

     

    What was all that red-warning stuff - I mean we're all U2 fans - right? Or are we? Do you know something we don't know like...is there a spy here from a competing band? Just trying to stir up trouble? Trying to get us all pitted against each other - divide and conquer & all that stuff? Well...they can't. We are: The House Of U2. We are diverse - different ones of us like different things about U2 - but The House Of U2 is Strong BECAUSE of it. I have believed that for years now. A house does not only have doors - it also has a roof. It also needs its foundation. Etc. U2 is strong because of Edge & Bono & Larry & Adam & their producer & etc & their Fans. You weren't trying to warn us about a serial killer were you? This could get INteresting. But it doesn't need to get that interesting. We're an interesting bunch enough as it is!
    smile.gif

     

    Oh dear Bonos a hero????......erm no hes a musician who does some charity work im afraid, you delousions about Bono is laughable, i find it hard that you do not know Billy Connolly after all he done a lot of the same things as Bono during Live Aid and loads of other thins like Amnesty etc etc so obviously you don't know as much as you are trying to make out.

     

    And what the hell are you gibbering about serial killer????.....wow totally mental i really hope u2 have you on their "watch oout for this nutter" list. 

     

     

    Re: serial killer comment: It's called a joke, Basher. I'm sure you've heard of the concept.

     

    And from a previous comment of yours: You said your family comes 1st. Whose doesn't? It's not an 'either/or' thing. You don't have to turn your back on your family to sign a freakin' petition once in awhile. Wow - signing a petition online w/the click of a button. How hard is that? There's always still hope that maybe some day you'll open your eyes & see that there's a world outside of just your own back-yard - & yes, u could make a difference to it.


  5. I love Bono for being a truely great frontman .....

     

    I admire his efforts for trying to make a difference, but he couldn't have done any of it without his position in the band and the money he has made from being in a band.

     

    I don't want to spend my cash listening to a political statement when I go to a concert !!!!

    Excuse me Maggie, w/all due respect, but what the heck is too "political" for u about a couple of minutes about human rights? Too difficult for u? I'm SO sure that if your OWN family members were starving, etc, & someone could do something about it, of Course u still just wouldn't Want them to help - right? After all, that would be too "political." You'd say "No thanks - just let my family die - after all, I'd hate to take 2 or 3 minutes worth of a concert away from someone. That would be cruel." Riiiiight...


  6. But he is first and foremost a singer in a band, why on earth should theband make records without him??

     

    i think too many goody goody bleeding heart fools look to Bono to save too much.

     

    You're right when u say why on earth should the band make records w/out him.

     

    But you also said he is first & foremost a singer in a band. Wrong.

     

    Bono is first & foremost Bono. Bono is first & foremost a human being. Bono is first & foremost a father to four children, etc. His duty is to his conscience - not to u or me. Just because he's a celebrity does not mean that he gave up his right to his own life also. And people who give a D@mn about their fellow human beings in this world are not "fools." They are people who give a D@mn about their fellow human beings in this world.


  7. ok......u2 is NOT a "Christian" band per se. They sing a lot about faith, lack of faith , belief , disbelief , peace, love, etc.......this does NOT define them as a "Christian" band .

     

    I ALSO PREFER bono the singer, Basher.....if I HAD TO choose one , i'd choose the singer , of course.

     

    However ,,,,,,,,as long as the band is good with it , I'm good with it. As far as I know , the band is OK with it.

     

    As for someone's comment about INXS ........I think we know that Bono is a little bit more balanced in EVERY way than HUTCH was ........HUTCH was the type where you didnt know if he was going to be at the gig or not......Bono has never come close to anything like that. I know that is an overly simplified way of stating it, and there are a lot more variables to discuss when it comes to Bono vs Hutch, U2 vs INXS ......but according to everything I've read , the only time U2 has come close to the disfunction of INXS was when some of the boys were considering whether or not the music and the religious involvement could "coexist" and the band decided to choose the music.

     

    then .. the BRIEF period when Adam was going A SLIGHT bit wayward.

     

    bottom line - i AM proud of what bono does........ however I'M into the boys WAY more about the MUSIC and the LIVE SHOW and the recorded concerts........I can EASILY do without all the extracurriculars of Bono, but not easily without the music

    Liljbau: Hey, thanks for 'fanning' me! (I left a msg on yr profile page but don't know if u check there?) I need to correct something u said here, though. You said "when some of the boys were considering whether or not the music & the religious involvement could "coexist" & the band decided to choose the music." Sorry, but it sounds like u'r saying those bandmembers chose the music Over Christianity. No. They decided they could be in a band & make their music And still be Christian. And I would Not call the time that they did soul-searching about that a "dysfunction." It reminds me of when Bono & Ali talked about what their marriage should be like if he was going to become famous. That discussion had to take place & it was good to take place - not a dysfunction.

     

    I wouldn't call them "a Christian band" because that's what u call it when All band-members are Christian. But is U2 informed by Christianity? Of course it is. Is Bono's strong humanitarianism informed in large part by the fact he was raised Christian? Of course it is. How many bands have u heard of w/members who took time to consider if they could stay in a rock band because the lifestyle might conflict w/their Christianity? They were concerned for the sake of their Christianity. So of Course U2 has Deep Christian roots. That doesn't mean they're all Christian.

     

    As far as a time they had a "dysfunction" (though not the kind u refer to w/not showing up at a show) they also started thinking they might be breaking up when the music just wouldn't gel in the studio in Berlin. Of course we know they got past it. Love discussing things w/u Liljbau!!! smile.gif

  8. [quote name='Allegra wrote:


    MrsFish wrote:

    gibbo1968']Oh dear U2 wouldn't have been as famous if it wasn't for bono and his political stuff alma?

     

    my arse!

     

    Remember he wasn't saving the poor in africa before live aid and they were doin reasonably well by then(not that i'm using that as a point scorer)

     

    But to sum it up before I go into a 1000 word dissertation as basher said opinions are like arseholes we all have one.

     

    Dear Mr Gibbo - I love you dearly but surely even you can see the irony in your post!!??  It is pretty much because of Live Aid that U2 become the global band they are now - on the back of saving lives in Africa

    I think Bono should do absolutely whatever he feels he HAS to and I really don't think he should take us, the fans, in to consideration.  His first and most important responsibility is to ensure his own self fulfillment and if it means waiting for him to get in the studio in between releases whilst he attends to other commitments then so be it.  Him and the band don't really owe me anything - I have the choice to buy the albums and attend the tours and I am fine waiting - its not costing me anything to wait for an album release.  Where their responsibility lies is releasing albums of a great quality when they ARE recording because that is what I am paying for!

    I am really proud of what Bono does.  I am really proud to be associated with a band whose frontman has ensured millions of lives are being saved and millions of kids are now getting an education.  Waiting for an album is a pretty small price to pay

    Not true.

    Bono and the boys became famous during Live Aid because Bono saw people being crushed and did something that musicians rarely do...help out the bouncers...meanwhile the band continued playing and waited for him.  That's why U2 got noticed.  It was Bono's actions that gave U2 a huge springboard.  Also U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals.  But as mentioned before, U2 were already on their way to stardom without Live Aid.  There was the US Festival in '83 and of course Red Rocks in '83.

    So #1 Bono is a musician...#2 Bono is a save the world'er.

    The reason why some fans are a little pissed off lately is because U2.com hyped up the news as something HUGE and NEW...letting people think that it might be a window into what's going to be on the new album.  When people found out it was just a remix of an old tune, that's why they got upset.  It's not HUGE NEWS...it's just news and should have been treated as such.  U2.com blew people's hopes up, and some were let down...people stopped being with their families and stopped watching their footballs games just to find out it's just an old remix and not actual new music.  If they had just announced this new remix in a simple email without all the Thanksgiving hype, things would have been a lot smoother.

     

    Mrs. Fish: I agree w/just about everything u say.

     

    Gibbo: Hello again. W/all due respect, people are entitled to their own opinions - but not their own facts. You pointed out rightly that U2 was doing reasonably well by time Live Aid came along - but again, you're trying to deny that their music before Live Aid had anything socio-political-humanitarian in it? Wrong. And maybe u think it had nothing Christian in it too? I've had this conversation w/u b4, I think. Yes they were doing well b4 Live Aid - & they had socio-political-humanitarian-Christian-themed HIT RECORDS b4 Live Aid.

     

    Let's not try to change history here, people.

     

    Allegra: PLEASE. Get Real. Bono's Entire Performance of 'Bad' at Live Aid was One For The Record Books. Like an announcement to the world that here is SOMEONE who can be as big as Elvis & The Beatles Combined. It was Not just a famous performance because of bringing girls out of the audience. Yes, that was Extraordinary & great, but for 1 thing, as far as tons of people were concerned, Bono was just reaching out to fans & connecting w/his audience when he brought some up to be w/him. I watched Live Aid & all the coverage of it & I don't remember anything about fans' lives being saved from being crushed at all. Not saying that can't be what was happening w/him bringing girls over the barricade - but if the crushing danger did exist, then it was very missable in what Many people thought they were seeing & loved. If that was true, it was still unknown to Very Many who took Very Serious note of that performance without knowing it.

     

    Allegra: Also, Seriously, with all due respect, forgive me for asking: What world are you living in? I'm sincerely wondering: are you a teenager or in your 20's? THE WAR ALBUM CAME OUT IN 1983 and AMERICA TOOK NOTICE. Ever heard of 2 little socio-political-humanitarian songs from that album known as Sunday Bloody Sunday & New Years Day??? How about "to win the victory Jesus won" from then. Etc. Ever heard of a little song called Gloria from 1981??? Don't suppose that has any Christianity in it, right? You also said "U2 weren't the only band there helping Live Aid...and should be treated as equals." Sorry. But other bands that were there have Not continued on since then w/the humanitarian work & themes the way U2 has - So forget about them being equals. The only thing I can agree w/u about here is the Thanksgiving announcement thing.

  9. "We're all sensitive people / with so much to share. Understand me sugar." (From 'Let's Get It On' sung by Marvin Gaye.) Any other lyrics-people here? When it comes to popular music, I'm a lyrics-person. (I appreciate & love all the aspects of music, though.)

     

    I will leave the impatient-for-more-songs people with these words of comfort & wisdom from the inspired poetry of Bono's lyrics:

     

    And if your way should falter

    along the stony pass,

    it's just a moment.

     

    This time will pass.


  10. Alright you two, go to your corners

     

    And come out fighting!!!

     

    "Let's get it on!"

     

    kidding

    Hello Sigma957: Haven't had a chance to say hello til now. This isn't fighting. It's DISCUSSING. We'll have Love & Peace Or Else! Lol. All I know is when I saw where you said "Let's get it on!" I just thought of that sweet, sexy song that says "I'm asking you to get it on with me" (Marvin Gaye)

    Speaking of warnings, this is a Great song but let me add this word of Wisdom to women everywhere: Don't believe the guy in the song saying 'giving yourself to me could never be wrong if the love is true' - there's only one way you can begin to know if HIS love is "true" - he needs to put a ring on it! BEFORE. Other than that: a Great, sweet, sexy song! A classic. Did I get off track a little? But it was for a good cause: MUSIC. (Well if that's not turning the tables.) happy.gif

  11. [quote name='basher1 wrote:


    gibbo1968']I'm with larry lol

     

     

    Agreed, i really think u2 have lost many fans and many more potential fans because people were/are sick and tired of Bono banging on about it all as Billy Connolly once said about Sting and can be used the same with Bono "pick up your f'ing guitar and get back to work".

     

    I think he has done more harm than good with regards to the band and yeah he may be passionate about it but he's not have been able to do it without being a member of u2.....Musician first in my opinion.

    Hi Gibbo: I want to be sure you know the comment below is for Basher. You & I have gotten to know each other better & I understand you! But I don't know Basher or understand him so...

     

    Basher: Hello. Just sayin' - Funny how I know all about Sting & his music - but never heard of Billy Connolly. (I don't know - maybe I should have? Maybe I'll find out he's someone famous I should have known about & I'll be embarrassed. But for now...I don't remember hearing of him before.) I also know U2. Massively. And Your music? Sincerely asking: Should I know it? I'm serious - no offense if you're a musician, but I'm just making a point that I think should be kind of obvious, so I won't waste your time trying to explain it or spell it out. As far as you thinking U2 have lost "many" fans, etc because of Bono being a decent human being & a Hero: Where's your evidence of their fans supposedly disappearing? Get real. And anyone who Would stop being a U2 fan over Bono being a Hero was never a real U2 fan to begin with - & never 'Got' them to begin with. Good riddance. It's not as if The World's Largest Band can't afford to lose a few so-called 'fans' who don't really 'get' U2 anyways & do nothing but whine & complain about them anyways.

     

    What was all that red-warning stuff - I mean we're all U2 fans - right? Or are we? Do you know something we don't know like...is there a spy here from a competing band? Just trying to stir up trouble? Trying to get us all pitted against each other - divide and conquer & all that stuff? Well...they can't. We are: The House Of U2. We are diverse - different ones of us like different things about U2 - but The House Of U2 is Strong BECAUSE of it. I have believed that for years now. A house does not only have doors - it also has a roof. It also needs its foundation. Etc. U2 is strong because of Edge & Bono & Larry & Adam & their producer & etc & their Fans. You weren't trying to warn us about a serial killer were you? This could get INteresting. But it doesn't need to get that interesting. We're an interesting bunch enough as it is!smile.gif


  12. i believe there is a "debate" going on in the subs side about The Bono and his save the world etc stuff.

     

    Got me thinking that for me Bono is a singer in a band that is what i pay my hard earned for and that it will always be like that, i have kids and family of my own and they are my priority, where is all the billions gone from all the charadee work over all those years???

     

    At the end of the day Bono saving the world only exists because of the band he is in and because of his day job if he wasn't the lead singer of u2 then his saving the world wouldn't exist so i say get back in the studio lad and do what you were here to do in the first place......SING (and play the guitar badly...lol).

     

    What the heck is the "subs" side?

     

    Your comment about your kids & your own family being your priority is Ridiculous. What the heck is even your point? Because you have family members that means you don't have 30 seconds to sign a petition online? You Never have 1 & 1/2 minute out of an entire Month to pick up your phone & tell an elected official - who works for YOU - that he'd better vote for something that will save tens of thousands of kids' lives instead of another tax-break for a huge, wealthy corporation? Just because you have kids that means only yours deserve to breath air & have food to stay alive? Hey, join civilization & the modern era. The way you talk sounds like something out of the Dark Ages.

     

    And about what you said about Bono being able to save the world only because of the band: that's Ridiculous - you talk as if it's a 1-way street. IT'S NOT. Yes, Bono has a platform - U2 - from which to do his humanitarian work - but guess what? BONO BUILT THAT PLATFORM. Without Bono U2 would NEVER have gotten famous the way that it has, so please just stop acting like you can't have a life without a new album or some other new toy every time you turn around. It sounds incredibly childish & whingeing. And spoiled rotten. And Bono is not a puppet on a string at your beck & call.

     

    Also, that stuff about the supposed "billions" that you think someone owes you an accounting of: you're just pulling that out of the air & you know it. You haven't ACTUALLY read anything about any mismanagement of funds or charity scandal associated with Bono AND YOU KNOW IT. It just sounds like something you think you can say to try to tear down a HERO like Bono - for what? For the sake of you supposedly needing your newest, shiny bit of Entertainment? When I hear anyone trying to tear down a hero I always can't help but wonder about the possibility of jealousy. How would I know? But it's always a possibility. Just sayin'. People who talk the way you do are the kind of people Bono was talking about when he said that people complaining on the sidelines about his humanitarian work are the ones WHO WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO on the field IF they were on it - which they're not. In other words, they're just like armchair-quarterbacks. Easy for them to say 'what they think is what' about something they've never done themselves. rolleyes.gif


  13. We all need to do whatever we need to do. People haven't bought a stake in Bono Inc just because the buy records and concert tickets and whatever other U2 stuff they spend ridiculous amounts of money on, so they really have no reason to feel a sense of entitlement. Bono's motives are well documented.

     

    Perhaps the band should just get on with it an make some records without him ;)

    Your first paragraph is 100% correct. You should've left it at that. Don't pander to spoiled brats. What the heck is their problem? They act like they have no life - at least not any that they can live without the latest, newer toy to play with. I said it before & I'll say it again: spoiled brats. Because of debt-forgiveness from the world's richest nations to the world's poorest countries - which BONO helped to get - there are more than 40 million more kids going to school now who were not getting an education before.

  14. NO DEBATE.......HE'S BOTH

    liljbau: Yours is the Smartest comment I've seen today. HUGEly glad to make your acquaintance. I just popped onto this comment-thread for the 1st time from another one. I've been discussing this for the past few days on the Thanksgiving announcement comment-thread. YOUR 4-word comment sums up what I've been saying in thousands of words. smile.gif

  15. [quote name='123love wrote:


    lori7']I also received mine today, I live north of Toronto.  My package was opened about two thirds of the way as if someone was trying to get the cd's.  I hope I am not missing anything, I have 2 cd's and a booklet. Should I have anything else in the package.  It really sucks for those people who have waited so long and not receive  it.

     

    Same with mine eek.gif thankfully nothing was taken..Wow lori7 & 123love: So Was Mine. Everyone probably thinks theirs was just about the only one to arrive half-opened. lori7: I think I also had 2 cds & a large booklet. And I thought the same thing - that maybe someone locally (at the post office?) was trying to take something. If this has been happening to people receiving U22 in different states & different countries, it's probably not different people in different places trying to break into the packages. It would be more of a central thing - it's probably something about the outer package itself or the process of packaging the whole thing that needs to be changed. I'm in New York state, & lori - you said you're North of Toronto (I love Toronto by the way) - so I'm wondering where 123love is - where her package arrived at.

×
×
  • Create New...