New Members Introduction Thread

bigwave

• Subscriber

Hello!

Thanks for being so welcoming. I'm newish to U2.com, but not to the band. I grew up, dated, went to college, had a family and have worked with U2 as the soundtrack to my life. From the first time I heard them in the early days of MTV and then college radio, I've been a huge fan. I still have every U2 single, album, cassette tape (yes, you read that correctly

• Subscriber

Hello!

Thanks for being so welcoming. I'm newish to U2.com, but not to the band. I grew up, dated, went to college, had a family and have worked with U2 as the soundtrack to my life. From the first time I heard them in the early days of MTV and then college radio, I've been a huge fan. I still have every U2 single, album, cassette tape (yes, you read that correctly), video, import and t-shirt from the time I was 13 to now at the age of 49. I even used "two wrongs don't make a right, angry words won't stop a fight" as my senior quote in high school. I'm sure many of you have similar stories. Thank you for sharing...I'm so happy to be among so many other fans of U2 who get me (thank you!).

Welcome in the zoo ;)

• Subscriber

Hi! I bet y'all have had a thousand hellos and new face lately but I wanted to chime in.

I'm erin but you can call me eej, all my friends do. Why am I here? Well, I'm not sure I knew it was a thing before now, which is sad. I know. Sorry.

On the larger scale, one of my earliest memories is of standing in my aunt's bedroom staring up at her Under A Blood Red Sky poster up against some spectacularly salmon colored walls. I later stole her cassette copy of The Joshua Tree when I was 10 and haven't looked back since. Someone I went to high school with told me that their main memory of me is a screaming fight we had on a speech and debate bus about the validity of Rattle & Hum.

I finally saw U2 live at the 360 tour and had the following exchange with my bestie: "Well, we've seen U2, what do we do now?" "We die happy?" "..." "Or we go see U2 again." So I chose to go see U2 again and joined up to make sure that happened. So hi, hello, heya! 

I live right outside StL with my husband and a herd of cats. I work from home for a car rental company you might have heard of and am also going back to school. I occasionally write about comics for playback:stl and I drink a lot of craft beer and probably talk a lot of nonsense. Pleased to meetcha.

• Subscriber

Just saying "Hello". Been here since 2004, despite what the date says on my profile. I don't like my screen name, but it sounded cool in 2004 when I was 15. Lol

I've been a fan since 2004. I realized at that time that I liked their songs all along, before I knew who sang them. Well, I went through a period in 1998-2000 when I didn't like them because I thought Bono was annoying and I called him "squatty man". That has passed now! Haha I wanted to see PopMart tour when I was 7, which my Mom turned down. She made it up and took me to my first show ever in 2005, the Houston show on the Vertigo tour. I was hooked on concerts after that. Seen plenty of bands since then, but only have seen U2 3x. Going to see them 3x this year to make up for lost time.

The last time I saw U2 in Boston on the I+E tour was bittersweet because my Mom, who was my concert buddy, wasn't there. She passed in March of that year, just a mere 2 days before her birthday. I was on autopilot going to the show, just to escape the pain. However, and this might sound cheesy, when I got there, I realized that life can still be good. Not perfect, not the way it ever was, but I can go on. I wish I could thank Bono in person for letting me share the stage with them because it meant so much. I felt like my Mom was there, in that moment. I wish she was here for the Joshua Tree tour. She would've loved it. I'm going to take her with me in my heart so she can still enjoy it.

OK, I'll stop making this sad. Carry on.

Edited by toyoracer

• Subscriber

I wanted to see PopMart tour when I was 7, which my Mom turned down. She made it up and took me to my first show ever in 2005, the Houston show on the Vertigo tour. 

I wanted to see the PopMart tour when I was in high school but I was living with my grandmother for a while and she wouldn't let me fly back to attend with my boyfriend - epic sads for us, it sounds like it was a GREAT show. But it does sound like your mom certainly made up for it. I'm glad you have such good memories with her and I'll think of you two in Chicago. <3

• Subscriber

I wanted to see PopMart tour when I was 7, which my Mom turned down. She made it up and took me to my first show ever in 2005, the Houston show on the Vertigo tour.

I wanted to see the PopMart tour when I was in high school but I was living with my grandmother for a while and she wouldn't let me fly back to attend with my boyfriend - epic sads for us, it sounds like it was a GREAT show. But it does sound like your mom certainly made up for it. I'm glad you have such good memories with her and I'll think of you two in Chicago. <3
It was pretty funny how she turned down the PopMart tour. I was watching TV when an ad for the tour came on. It was very colorful (it was showing a bit of the "Discotheque" video) and I was amazed. I grabbed the closest notepad and pen I could find to write down the date and venue for Houston when I saw it scroll down the screen. I think the date was either October or November 28, 1997, almost 8 years to the day I finally saw them. Anyway, I went running into the bathroom with the notepad to show my Mom. I was sure she needed to know! Lol She was washing her face and I came in saying "Mommy, I saw these guys on TV and they have a show coming to town on this day and it looks really fun! Can we go?" She stopped, looked at the date on the paper, and said "No, I have to work that night!" I did the sad walk back to my room. I don't know if I even knew what I was looking at when I saw that ad, but it looked cool.

Will you be at the Chicago show?

Edited by toyoracer